Moiraine

Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone on Bleacher report listed him as our first ever true freshman starter at qb this morning.  No clue if that is accurate.

Damn. Shouldn't have let my head get the better of me and stuck with my post-spring prediction of Martinez.

Either, it's game week. :koolaid2:

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Someone on Bleacher report listed him as our first ever true freshman starter at qb this morning.  No clue if that is accurate.

I think he's the first ever true freshman QB to start a home opener, but not necessarily first ever to start (not entirely sure though).

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

To start the season that might be true.

1 minute ago, Wunderkind said:

To start the season that might be true.

He’s the first true freshman to start a season opener.  Frazier and Cody Green also started games as True Freshmen. 

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

When was the last time a true freshman QB started a game? Have we had anyone since Frazier? Crouch had redshirted and Newcombe was playing WR as a true freshman.

And Frazier didn’t start game one. His start came later- maybe early October? 

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Damn. Shouldn't have let my head get the better of me and stuck with my post-spring prediction of Martinez.

Dont get down, may have been a coin flip decision by the end.

I am really excited about this. Many of us thought Gebbia was probably the starter because we thought he was more of the lower error point guard type. But if AM is just as good of point guard and with his play making ability; that is exciting!

On 8/23/2018 at 7:54 AM, Hilltop said:

I think the guys voting for Gebbia are the same people who bet against Nebraska on game days.  Either way they will be happy crowd.  I think deep down most of us feel Martinez is the guy who will be leading us in the future championships.  I like them both but deep down really hope it's Martinez.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

And Frazier didn’t start game one. His start came later- maybe early October? 

Ya. Martinez is the first true freshman to start game 1. Was just wondering how many had started at all.

Just now, Moiraine said:

Ya. Martinez is the first true freshman to start game 1. Was just wondering how many had started at all.

Cody Green is the other true frosh QB to start.  He started against Baylor and Oklahoma in 2009.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Cody Green is the other true frosh QB to start.  He started against Baylor and Oklahoma in 2009.  

ty

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Hope your head is ok this morning Blitz.  I'm guessing the other 2/3 are doing fine.

I wanted Bunch...mine exploded a long time ago.

39 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I am really excited about this. Many of us thought Gebbia was probably the starter because we thought he was more of the lower error point guard type. But if AM is just as good of point guard and with his play making ability; that is exciting!

I was thinking the same thing.  I thought it was going to be Gebbia so my head exploded this morning thinking about how dynamic the offense could be with Martinez.  I think everyone thought Martinez has "it" and would eventually become starter.  If the staff feels he is as good as Gebbia's passing and decision making then wow we could really have a Milton like offense by mid--season.  Martinez size also makes me less concerned about injury. 

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I thought it was going to be Gebbia so my head exploded this morning thinking about how dynamic the offense could be with Martinez.  I think everyone thought Martinez has "it" and would eventually become starter.  If the staff feels he is as good as Gebbia's passing and decision making then wow we could really have a Milton like offense by mid--season.  Martinez size also makes me less concerned about injury. 

I've thought, really since Martinez got here, if he was 90% as good as Gebbia at throwing and decision-making, he might still have the advantage due to running ability and size. Because I assumed he was a much better runner than Gebbia. I would take 60% completion vs 65% completion if the former is a legit running threat and the latter is serviceable.

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I've thought, really since Martinez got here, if he was 90% as good as Gebbia at throwing and decision-making, he might still have the advantage due to running ability and size. Because I assumed he was a much better runner than Gebbia. I would take 60% completion vs 65% completion if the former is a legit running threat and the latter is serviceable.

This is a good thread discussing this very thing.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/85558-qb-run-game-the-myth-of-the-frost-offense/