Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the 1st snap at QB?

• Tristan Gebbia
    • Adrian Martinez

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/25/2018 at 04:59 AM

I haven't followed it closely, but I don't think the guy with the first snap will get all the hikes.  I lean towards Gebbia and things changing back and forth the first few weeks.  Throughout the games.  Then the real starter will emerge.  Or we'll be in trouble going into B1G competition.

6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I haven't followed it super close either but I hope the guy with the first snap gets to sit because the game is out of hand in our favor.

Regardless, having two quality quarterbacks vying for the starting position is pretty awesome.

Agreed, very exciting!  I want to see them both.  And soon it should be obvious to us all.  If not, wOH boy...

I’ve been reviewing Frost & Company’s comments regarding their QB selection at UCF (as well as a bit of the media’s) for clues.

Here is the media discussing QBs prior to the 2016 season. Milton is not even mentioned.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/videos/81244174-132.html

By September 17th, Milton was named the starter with Frost declaring that he has the “it factor”. Turns out his instincts were right about that.

https://247sports.com/college/central-florida/Article/True-freshman-quarterback-McKenzie-Milton-will-start-for-UCF-Saturday-versus-Maryland-47520631/

Yet in 2017, In this article on August 16, Frost “stopped short of naming him the outright starter” to start the season as a sophomore. Yet we all know how that season went & how Milton was arguably the 2nd best QB performer in the nation, behind Baker Mayfield.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-sp-ucf-football-0817-story.html

It truly appears that this staff does not ever want a player to be totally comfortable and to keep the pressure to perform on them (or be replaced) all season long. (And the fact that you started last year doesn’t mean You won’t have to compete to remain the starter the next year). I don’t see this as a bad thing and it means that the grading and evaluating and performance chart is going to be a part of game evaluation all season, every season.

Although the QB competition is probably much closer this year at Nebraska than it was at UCF, I think EVERYONE saw in the Spring Game who had “The it factor” and it was not the guy that Riley recruited to Nebraska, capable thrower that he is. Gebbia may be one of the most talented Number 2 QBs in the nation, and we could very well need him. But my money is on Martinez being the starter, probably for Akron, but it would not surprise me if Akron turns out to be a game where BOTH play significant time as the evaluation continues into game situations.

Martinez will have the job by Week 3 & if he doesn’t for Akron it will only be because this staff wants to keep the pressure on him to turn him into an even finer diamond. I voted Martinez.

• Plus1 1

I think the guys voting for Gebbia are the same people who bet against Nebraska on game days.  Either way they will be happy crowd.  I think deep down most of us feel Martinez is the guy who will be leading us in the future championships.  I like them both but deep down really hope it's Martinez.