Moiraine

Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Gage County said:

I thought Gebbia before the spring game, then I thought Martinez looked great at the spring game, but I'm back to Gebbia.

I do know which one of these QBs will not be starting...

3qbs.png.987ccc1121fc377a0cc890424246c2a7.png

The one who looks like he’s having the time of his life?

• Plus1 1

I think the guys voting for Gebbia are the same people who bet against Nebraska on game days.  Either way they will be happy crowd.  I think deep down most of us feel Martinez is the guy who will be leading us in the future championships.  I like them both but deep down really hope it's Martinez.

21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think the guys voting for Gebbia are the same people who bet against Nebraska on game days.

Huh? 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Gage County said:

Huh? 

In one of the other threads some members said they bet against Nebraska so they are happy either way...  

I think we'll probably see both QBs in the first week or two, but if we want to realistically compete in conference play, we need to be settled on "the" QB by week 3, imo. 

There's nothing wrong with pulling a QB mid game or mid season if he's performing poorly, but unless we seriously plan on drawing up packages for both, then we're going to suffer once we get into the meat grinder of conference play if we're still playing musical chairs - even in practice. 

Imo, if either QB takes over sometime in the middle of the season it's likely because something bad has happened, not because it finally "clicked" for the other guy.

I voted for Gebbia because I think he's more of a complete player, I think he offers more flexibility in terms of gameplaning week to week and with potential in-game adjustments. I think he's better suited to use the skill players around him on any given week..... On paper, I look at him as a Joe Ganz type. Solid passer, solid runner, level head, it might look ugly or broken at times, but if everyone else does their jobs, we'll do pretty well. He might not be electric as a runner, but I think he's like Ganz in that he's a grinder, a gamer.

I think AM will get playing time this season, but unless he takes control by week 2 or 3, then I don't think he'll be starting at the end of the season.

Another reason I lean toward Gebbia, is because of the Blackshirts. No offense to our D or D coaches, but I look at the schedule, and I only see 3 or 4 teams that I expect us to hold under 20 points. I see another 5 teams that will likely score 35+.

I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong by AM, but on paper, I'd rather have Gebbia in command if/and when we need to play fun-and-gun on the road. It's not even game day, but we already know that if we want to beat OSU, we will need to score 45+ points. We're going to need to sling the ball without turning it over. I just think Gebbia's skill set gives us a better chance in the shoot-outs we're about to get into.

23 minutes ago, Oade said:

Another reason I lean toward Gebbia, is because of the Blackshirts. No offense to our D or D coaches, but I look at the schedule, and I only see 3 or 4 teams that I expect us to hold under 20 points. I see another 5 teams that will likely score 35+.

I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong by AM, but on paper, I'd rather have Gebbia in command if/and when we need to play fun-and-gun on the road. It's not even game day, but we already know that if we want to beat OSU, we will need to score 45+ points. We're going to need to sling the ball without turning it over. I just think Gebbia's skill set gives us a better chance in the shoot-outs we're about to get into.

I don't follow this argument. What makes Gebbia such a clear choice if you're trying to score high points? Generally when you're trying to score a higher than average number of points you need to take more risks, not fewer, especially against a superior foe.

I find it hilarious some of the assumptions we as a fan base can talk ourselves into.  I'm guilty.  The only concrete things we have to go off of are the spring game and high school highlights.  Both were bad a#$ high school quarterbacks.  One of them did pretty good in the spring game and the other did slightly better.  Beyond that, we don't know diddly.  Kudos to Frost and staff for feeding us just enough to have our interest peaked at just the right time.    

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, brophog said:

I don't follow this argument. What makes Gebbia such a clear choice if you're trying to score high points? Generally when you're trying to score a higher than average number of points you need to take more risks, not fewer, especially against a superior foe.

In a shoot-out sort of scenario, Gebbia's arm and accuracy gives us more of an edge than AMs legs. I wouldn't say we need to take more risks, I would say we need to probably pass more than we would necessarily want, but that it has to be smart and mistake free, not risky. Something most true freshman struggle with.

If we're down a score or two, we're going to pass the ball more. If Gebbia's arm is clearly better than AM, I know who I would want on the field in that situation. 

I'd be thrilled if AM proved to be as good or better of a passer, but if not, we can't have passes floating too long or too high, and not expect to pay for it at some point. He would need to be a really really great runner to make up for any floating or inaccurate passes, we need sharp accuracy.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Oade said:

In a shoot-out sort of scenario, Gebbia's arm and accuracy gives us more of an edge than AMs legs. I wouldn't say we need to take more risks, I would say we need to probably pass more than we would necessarily want, but that it has to be smart and mistake free, not risky. Something most true freshman struggle with.

If we're down a score or two, we're going to pass the ball more. If Gebbia's arm is clearly better than AM, I know who I would want on the field in that situation.

That's what we said pre-season last year about Tanner Lee...  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

That's what we said pre-season last year about Tanner Lee...  

Lol that's probably true, and with all due respect to Lee, I hope all three of our QBs this year preform better than him.