Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the 1st snap at QB?

• Tristan Gebbia
    • Adrian Martinez

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/25/2018 at 04:59 AM

I think they are both going to play against Akron.

I know they said they don't want to do that but i think it is too close to call. Also, good leaders don't dig in on their rules just to have rules. They can re-evaluate situations and make adjustments as needed.

Now they question was "who takes the first snap?" No clue.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, macroboy said:

I think they are both going to play against Akron.

I know they said they don't want to do that but i think it is too close to call. Also, good leaders don't dig in on their rules just to have rules. They can re-evaluate situations and make adjustments as needed.

Now they question was "who takes the first snap?" No clue.

I agree that they're both going to play but I don't agree that it'll be against Akron. Against lesser opponents this early your starter who has zero college game experience by the way, will need as much of that game experience as possible.

They know who their starter is it's almost 1 week away. If they don't know, then we hired the wrong coaching staff.

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Like I said I think it’ll be Martinez but I’ve always assumed most of his national buzz was based off the spring game.

Ok thanks for clarifying yeah all the buzz I heard was after the spring game. Frost definitely has peeled back on that a little bit it seems. Maybe the reason for that is he had a preconceived notion who his starter would be heading into fall camp. He is human after all. We subconsciously make decisions all the time.

If that's the case and you look at which QB performed better in the spring, a strong argument can be made that Adrian Martinez was that guy. We'll find out soon enough if that wave carried through fall camp. I think the competition has actually been fierce.

This definitely feels like the days of old when our players felt threatened to lose their starting jobs. Competition breeds excellence.

18 minutes ago, FTW said:

Ok thanks for clarifying yeah all the buzz I heard was after the spring game. Frost definitely has peeled back on that a little bit it seems. Maybe the reason for that is he had a preconceived notion who his starter would be heading into fall camp. He is human after all. We subconsciously make decisions all the time.

If that's the case and you look at which QB performed better in the spring, a strong argument can be made that Adrian Martinez was that guy. We'll find out soon enough if that wave carried through fall camp. I think the competition has actually been fierce.

This definitely feels like the days of old when our players felt threatened to lose their starting jobs. Competition breeds excellence.

Why do people say Martinez had a better spring game? He has wheels but he was noticeably less accurate imo 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why do people say Martinez had a better spring game? He has wheels but he was noticeably less accurate imo 

I would guess Gebbia is more accurate. But I don’t know about “noticeably” and I’m wondering where you noticed it. Martinez had a higher % in the spring game. Do you mean high school?

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Probably because he had less incompletions than the other 3 quarterbacks. Or maybe those wheels he showcased is the reason Frost wanted him? Statistically he performed better. On his drives we scored quicker, moved the ball quicker. The tempo was quicker and smoother. And he shook some defenders out of their cleats. He also led the entire team with 5 scoring drives.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I would guess Gebbia is more accurate. But I don’t know about “noticeably” and I’m wondering where you noticed it. Martinez had a higher % in the spring game. Do you mean high school?

No, he doesn't mean high school. AM didn't play his senior season so it wouldn't be fair to criticize him.

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Um ......

Martinez was 10/13 which is 76.9%

Gebbia was 12/17 which is 70.6%

Now, you can finess which one might have been making slightly better throws but I'm not sure how those numbers would lead to Martinez being "noticeably less accurate."

• Plus1 1

If you go back into AM's HS career you'll find remarks from opposing coaches who knew AM was special.

"The toughest part to swallow for Edison coach Jason Murray is it happened during Martinez’s sophomore and junior seasons. He remembers Martinez tearing up his defense, which usually featured three or four Pac-12 caliber players."

"It sticks out in my mind, No. 1, because it happened two years in a row," Murray said. "No . 2, our school is full of fast guys. We have a lot of speed. We don't have a lot of 80-yard runs against us, you know what I mean? It just doesn’t happen."

The margin for error in the passing game against a fast team like Edison is minimal.

"You gotta be a damn good quarterback to get [the ball] in those windows,” Murray said. "Meanwhile, he could run like the wind."

Link

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Um ......

Martinez was 10/13 which is 76.9%

Gebbia was 12/17 which is 70.6%

Now, you can finess which one might have been making slightly better throws but I'm not sure how those numbers would lead to Martinez being "noticeably less accurate."

Completion percentage is not accuracy. Not that I'm placing myself in this argument....

• Plus1 1

I remember a post shortly after the spring game highlighting Gebbia vs Martinez in terms of accuracy. Gebbia consistently puts the ball in the best spot for his guys to make a play after the catch, Martinez can get the ball to his guy but it might not be in the optimal place. That showed in the spring game imo though Gebbia did miss one wide open throw.