Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the 1st snap at QB?

• Tristan Gebbia
    • Adrian Martinez

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/25/2018 at 04:59 AM

Heading into fall camp I was leaning towards Gebbia. This is just preseason banter here, nothing to back this up - but the longer they've waited the more I've suspected that they've been wanting it to be Martinez and have been seeing improvement in him and will wind up going with Martinez.

Total speculation. Martinez was a more highly recruited guy. If Martinez hadn't signed with us, I would feel 100% perfect about Tristan leading this team. 

It's almost too close to call.

Ever since I heard Coach emphasize how important being a quick thinker was for his offense, I've felt it was going to be Gebbia.  I do believe we'll see Martinez at some point this season, but think Gebbia will be running the show as long as he's healthy.  I can see this flip flop next season as it becomes easier for Martinez to process things quickly.  

2 minutes ago, JoshSker said:

Ever since I heard Coach emphasize how important being a quick thinker was for his offense, I've felt it was going to be Gebbia.  I do believe we'll see Martinez at some point this season, but think Gebbia will be running the show as long as he's healthy.  I can see this flip flop next season as it becomes easier for Martinez to process things quickly.  

If Martinez is the future in this coaching staffs eyes, he will be the game 1 starter.  No way they intentionally use TG for a year until AM is ready...  They have a free pass this year in a sense to develop and refine for the 2019 "we will be dangerous" team.   

13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If Martinez is the future in this coaching staffs eyes, he will be the game 1 starter.  No way they intentionally use TG for a year until AM is ready...  They have a free pass this year in a sense to develop and refine for the 2019 "we will be dangerous" team.   

I don't think the staff considers year 1 a free pass. I get the sense that they'll start whoever gives the team its best chance to win.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, TwitterAcronymExperty said:

I don't think the staff considers year 1 a free pass. I get the sense that they'll start whoever gives the team its best chance to win.

If what the coaches have said is true, both would give the team an equal chance to win this year.  They of course want to win this year but they also realize they have been tasked with returning this team to greatness.  That takes a multi year approach imo.  Whoever has the higher top end in their opinion gets the nod.  

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Total speculation. Martinez was a more highly recruited guy. If Martinez hadn't signed with us, I would feel 100% perfect about Tristan leading this team. 

The difference in recruiting at this point is negligible bordering on irrelevant. Both were four stars, both were approximately in the same ball park in the national recruiting rankings and both held offers from big time division one schools. Most importantly - they're now neck and neck.

When Frost and Verduzco were lauding AM last winter as the perfect fit for the offense, the 'one guy' they felt was best in the country, etc., they were saying those things largely because they had no idea what they were going to get in TG. They needed a 'perfect fit' guy lest they risk what Mike Riley did and rely on a QB that didn't fit the system. I think some fans (myself included) and even the media got too tied up in AM being the hand picked guy to give TG his due credit. I can't blame the coaches though because, like I said, they didn't really know what the QB cupboard was going to be like until they got here and got into workouts.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

No I don't think that's how it works

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I think the guys voting for Gebbia are the same people who bet against Nebraska on game days.  Either way they will be happy crowd.  I think deep down most of us feel Martinez is the guy who will be leading us in the future championships.  I like them both but deep down really hope it's Martinez.

You serious Clark?

• Plus1 1