Interesting look at last year's Pace of Play and Pace of Play FACED

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I did notice that often Milton would seem angry at the ref for holding the ball too long. I wonder if the refs are part of the reason it’s slowing down. 

That was cited as one of the reasons that Chip Kelly was not as successful in the NFL: Refs would not let him snap it as fast as they wanted.

Thanks for the info....very interesting! 

--Now if you'll excuse me while I wander into the weeds--

I am unaware if he has already crunched the numbers, but I did some below:

2017 Big Ten average Defense vs. Pace of Play (basically the offensive speed of playcalling) = #65.83/128 with a median of 77/128

2017 SEC average Defense vs. Pace of Play (basically the offensive speed of playcalling) = #92.2/128 with a median of 101/128

I would put this forward as evidence that the average SEC team defense probably face more conventional (at least in terms of speed of playcalling) offenses, and that they also most likely face far fewer snaps during a year.  This could contribute to a team being healthier/have more endurance at the end of the year.

Does anyone have any data showing snaps faced vs. Team Defense Health or snaps made vs. Team Offensive Health at end of season?  I would be interested in knowing if this is negligible, or significant.  Is there any data that team defenses that have not faced a top 30 offensive team (in terms of pace of play) struggle more, less, or the same?  

A final question, does the Nebraska Athletic department have anybody looking at statistical analysis of things like this?  I am certainly not advocating a "Moneyball"  approach to college football, but statistical data could inform some of a coach's (Frost's) decisions?  For instance, is there a point at which the pace of play becomes negligible to effecting a defense?  For instance is the difference between an 15 second and 18 second snap negligible, but 18 seconds rather than a 21 second snap is very significant?

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, brophog said:

Nebraska has had an analytics department for several years.

I should have been more specific, when I said "Does the Nebraska Athletic Department have anybody looking at statistical analysis of things like this", I meant are they looking at Macro-Level issues, such as the affect of snaps faced vs. Team Defensive Health at the end of the season, instead of just Micro-Level issues, like team vs opponent matchups.

It seems from what I can tell that most of the Macro-Level issues the analytics department deals with have to do with recruiting, or national trends...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2016/09/16/nebraska-department-of-sports-analytics-mike-riley/90522358/

6 hours ago, JKinney said:

It seems from what I can tell that most of the Macro-Level issues the analytics department deals with have to do with recruiting, or national trends...

I don’t know if they are specifically looking at the thing you mentioned, but if Frost asked them to look into that, they could and would. I kinda doubt they would mention it if they were, though.

15 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Can the defense influence the pace of play or does the offense only set the tempo?  I would think changing tempo could be a part of game strategy-but your team better be in good physical shape. 

I don't understand the question. Generally when we talk tempo it's the time it takes to snap the ball, though I suppose it could be defined another way.

17 hours ago, FTW said:

It'll be interesting how this season will go now that the play clock begins immediately after a change of possession and scoring a TD. Basically, we can't celebrate for long. Fist pump and line up for the 2 pt. conversion :D

So you are saying there will be no more commercials?