Tre Bryant’s Career Is Over

Ever since Riley made the comment about Bryant's old man knees, something about that phrasing always made me think Bryant's career was going to be short lived. But, by and large, I think Bryant made this decision with the entirety of his life in mind and not just getting through college.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I always thought it was kind of odd that we were able to jump in on his recruiting so late in the process and grab a pretty talented back.  Now I see it was probably because other teams had backed off because of his knee.  

Too bad for him.  Hope he finds something else to have success.

I was thinking the same thing about Tre's recruiting but Tyjon Lindsey is a similar situation. Ohio State passed up on him I think because of a knee injury, correct me if I'm wrong. We do know there may be a few 4 star players who have had questionable performances thus far.

Just now, FTW said:

I was thinking the same thing about Tre's recruiting but Tyjon Lindsey is a similar situation. Ohio State passed up on him I think because of a knee injury, correct me if I'm wrong. We do know there may be a few 4 star players who have had questionable performances thus far.

Yes and no.  Lindsey tore his meniscus in high school.  That may have made tOSU back off but that's not an injury that would be expected to have long-term consequences.  By all accounts, Bryant's knee issues were know in high school and expected to be an on-going problem.

16 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I feel badly for Bryant yet also commend him for taking the long view when it comes to his health.  I'm sure we've all seen Earl Campbell's highlights.  Unfortunately, we've also probably seen what Earl Campbell looked like post football.

Do you think Earl Campbell would go back and choose a different path?  I doubt it.  Only reason anyone knows his name is because of the way he ran the ball.  

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes and no.  Lindsey tore his meniscus in high school.  That may have made tOSU back off but that's not an injury that would be expected to have long-term consequences.  By all accounts, Bryant's knee issues were know in high school and expected to be an on-going problem.

It's crazy what a difference a year makes. Last year we lost Bryant, and many people panicked because he was obviously our best running back. He retires this year but we seem to be in good shape at that position. We are fortunate to have this staff right now.

• Plus1 1

Yeah, I think KW flat out beat Zach Smith for Lindsey. Lindsey has mentioned in interviews that Ohio State was going to use him in gimmicky ways where KW was going to teach him how to run real routes in a real offense. Really upset Zach.:D

Feel really bad for Tre, retiring from football was obviously a very hard decision for him. He gave it everything to get back out there.

8 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Do you think Earl Campbell would go back and choose a different path?  I doubt it.  Only reason anyone knows his name is because of the way he ran the ball.  

It's a fair point, honestly I don't know.  I'm sure that playing on Astroturf all those years certainly didn't help matters.

12 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

There is so much that modern medicine can do these days but there is still so much it can't do.

I once saw a documentary where a guy had no cartilage left in his aging knees but he was fitted with some sort of mechanical knee brace that made his leg strong enough that he could immediately kick through a brick pillar. After that, the guy was able to resume his old job as Batman. Maybe it wasn't an actual documentary. Anyway, Tre Bryant needs to get one of those knee braces.

• Plus1 6