Sign in to follow this  
Mavric

2019 Walk-On Class

On 10/4/2018 at 9:47 PM, Mavric said:

6-3, 280 lb OL/DL from Fillmore Central (Geneva)

Hudl

My son is friends with Riley and played football with him.  Riley has some growing up to do but has all the tools to be pretty good.  

He is a skinnier 280 and can move very well.  He runs the 400 in track, for the fun of it, along with throwing shot and discus.  He is also a really good wrestler. He is a 400lb bench kid and around a 450 squat.  

As far as my growing up comment.  He is usually good for a personal foul every other game because he loses his cool.  He is an intense kid when playing. 

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

My son is friends with Riley and played football with him.  Riley has some growing up to do but has all the tools to be pretty good.  

He is a skinnier 280 and can move very well.  He runs the 400 in track, for the fun of it, along with throwing shot and discus.  He is also a really good wrestler. He is a 400lb bench kid and around a 450 squat.  

As far as my growing up comment.  He is usually good for a personal foul every other game because he loses his cool.  He is an intense kid when playing. 

We could use that intensity.

12 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Caden Johnson just committed to sDSU Jacks tonight... hopefully frost can change his mind.

He's a fringe guy. Could see him getting a late offer. 

On 10/30/2018 at 12:20 PM, theknife said:

We camped against Blue Springs South this summer and I was impressed with this kid. He has a great frame and moved well for a big guy.  Would be an awesome PWO.

Hoping Nebraska shows some love to our WR.  He is a 2020 kid who was 6A all state as a Soph.  Kid has interest from Mich, OU, ISU and others.  

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

We camped against Blue Springs South this summer and I was impressed with this kid. He has a great frame and moved well for a big guy.  Would be an awesome PWO.

Hoping Nebraska shows some love to our WR.  He is a 2020 kid who was 6A all state as a Soph.  Kid has interest from Mich, OU, ISU and others.  

Name for us to follow?

7 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Name for us to follow?

Zack Westmoreland.   Had 2 picks tonight, 1 for a TD.  Almost returned a punt for a TD, rushed for a TD against a 7 win st Louis school.  Didn't play 4th quarter bc we rolled them.  

Also a state medalist in long jump at over 22 feet at 6'2 205 pounds.  Kid is special.  Not rated by any service yet though.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Im not sure if I just missed it somewhere, but have we looked at James Burks from Burke HS? He just willed Burke to that state championship, seems deserving of at least a preferred walk-on spot. He went for 219 yards on 37/38 carries. 

12 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

Im not sure if I just missed it somewhere, but have we looked at James Burks from Burke HS? He just willed Burke to that state championship, seems deserving of at least a preferred walk-on spot. He went for 219 yards on 37/38 carries. 

I think he's looking more the college wrestling route 

7 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I think he's looking more the college wrestling route 

Yea I saw that as well, two time state champion. But from what it looks he doesn't have a ton of offers for that either. If I read the article correctly it said Nebraska wanted him to go to JuCo, for wrestling I assume (wasn't clear) and then take a look at him after two years there.

15 hours ago, huskered17 said:

What do these walk ons get, as far as any help from the Univ. 

Room and board, meals, books ??

GBR!!!

That's the whole point... they don't get anything.... they get the team gear, basically. So free Adidas clothes. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a big Skutt fan, at all.

I would advocate for giving the Jarod Epperson kid a walk-on immediately after that state championship game. At one point in the second half he had 202 of Skutt's 211 yards. Seems to have the burst and top-end speed that Frost's offense requires. 

4 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

That's the whole point... they don't get anything.... they get the team gear, basically. So free Adidas clothes. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a big Skutt fan, at all.

I would advocate for giving the Jarod Epperson kid a walk-on immediately after that state championship game. At one point in the second half he had 202 of Skutt's 211 yards. Seems to have the burst and top-end speed that Frost's offense requires. 

I was just coming to see if there was anything about Epperson in here!

I've followed recruiting for a while and always been confused by the walk-on vocab. 

Are all kids offered a "preferred" walk-on as opposed to just a "regular" walk-on? Or are there actually tiers of walk-ons that kids are being targeted at? 

Maybe somone here has kids/family members that could provide insight. 

5 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

I've followed recruiting for a while and always been confused by the walk-on vocab. 

Are all kids offered a "preferred" walk-on as opposed to just a "regular" walk-on? Or are there actually tiers of walk-ons that kids are being targeted at? 

Maybe somone here has kids/family members that could provide insight. 

I don't think there's a big distinction.  Basically "preferred" pretty much means they are recruited to be a walk-on, as far as I can tell.  I think the only "regular" walk-ons would be any that come out of the open tryouts for current students, but I think that is only a couple kids per year.

If i recall correctly preferred walk-ons were guaranteed a spot in the 105 for fall camp their first year

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, zeWilbur said:

If i recall correctly preferred walk-ons were guaranteed a spot in the 105 for fall camp their first year

That's my understanding as well. 

2 hours ago, zeWilbur said:

No they are not.  There were 140 on the roster this year.  85 are scholarship guys (roughly 80 in camp this year).  So out of the other 60 - pretty much all of whom are PWOs, only about 25 can make the fall camp roster.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

No they are not.  There were 140 on the roster this year.  85 are scholarship guys (roughly 80 in camp this year).  So out of the other 60 - pretty much all of whom are PWOs, only about 25 can make the fall camp roster.

Right, but they are only guaranteed a spot on 110 man roster the first year and we had 16 PWOs in 2018.  I can't find anything specific to Nebraska, but I think most consider the definition of PWO do be just that:

Nine out of the 10 staffs we spoke with use the “preferred concept” and to those nine, the clear difference between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred means he is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster day one of camp, while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.

http://footballscoop.com/archive-news/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-preferred-walk-on/

25 minutes ago, theknife said:

Right, but they are only guaranteed a spot on 110 man roster the first year and we had 16 PWOs in 2018.  I can't find anything specific to Nebraska, but I think most consider the definition of PWO do be just that:

I don't think that is the case at Nebraska.  That would make a lot more sense for schools that are only carrying 115-120 total guys on the roster, not the 140 that we have.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:34 AM, AlaSker said:

Yea I saw that as well, two three time state champion. But from what it looks he doesn't have a ton of offers for that either. If I read the article correctly it said Nebraska wanted him to go to JuCo, for wrestling I assume (wasn't clear) and then take a look at him after two years there.

FIFY

And about to be 4 time, visited Michigan State last month for wrestling