2019 Walk-On Class

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

We camped against Blue Springs South this summer and I was impressed with this kid. He has a great frame and moved well for a big guy.  Would be an awesome PWO.

Hoping Nebraska shows some love to our WR.  He is a 2020 kid who was 6A all state as a Soph.  Kid has interest from Mich, OU, ISU and others.  

Name for us to follow?

7 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Name for us to follow?

Zack Westmoreland.   Had 2 picks tonight, 1 for a TD.  Almost returned a punt for a TD, rushed for a TD against a 7 win st Louis school.  Didn't play 4th quarter bc we rolled them.  

Also a state medalist in long jump at over 22 feet at 6'2 205 pounds.  Kid is special.  Not rated by any service yet though.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

12 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

Im not sure if I just missed it somewhere, but have we looked at James Burks from Burke HS? He just willed Burke to that state championship, seems deserving of at least a preferred walk-on spot. He went for 219 yards on 37/38 carries. 

I think he's looking more the college wrestling route 

7 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I think he's looking more the college wrestling route 

Yea I saw that as well, two time state champion. But from what it looks he doesn't have a ton of offers for that either. If I read the article correctly it said Nebraska wanted him to go to JuCo, for wrestling I assume (wasn't clear) and then take a look at him after two years there.

15 hours ago, huskered17 said:

What do these walk ons get, as far as any help from the Univ. 

Room and board, meals, books ??

GBR!!!

That's the whole point... they don't get anything.... they get the team gear, basically. So free Adidas clothes. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a big Skutt fan, at all.

I would advocate for giving the Jarod Epperson kid a walk-on immediately after that state championship game. At one point in the second half he had 202 of Skutt's 211 yards. Seems to have the burst and top-end speed that Frost's offense requires. 

4 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

That's the whole point... they don't get anything.... they get the team gear, basically. So free Adidas clothes. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a big Skutt fan, at all.

I would advocate for giving the Jarod Epperson kid a walk-on immediately after that state championship game. At one point in the second half he had 202 of Skutt's 211 yards. Seems to have the burst and top-end speed that Frost's offense requires. 

I was just coming to see if there was anything about Epperson in here!

I've followed recruiting for a while and always been confused by the walk-on vocab. 

Are all kids offered a "preferred" walk-on as opposed to just a "regular" walk-on? Or are there actually tiers of walk-ons that kids are being targeted at? 

Maybe somone here has kids/family members that could provide insight. 

5 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

I've followed recruiting for a while and always been confused by the walk-on vocab. 

Are all kids offered a "preferred" walk-on as opposed to just a "regular" walk-on? Or are there actually tiers of walk-ons that kids are being targeted at? 

Maybe somone here has kids/family members that could provide insight. 

I don't think there's a big distinction.  Basically "preferred" pretty much means they are recruited to be a walk-on, as far as I can tell.  I think the only "regular" walk-ons would be any that come out of the open tryouts for current students, but I think that is only a couple kids per year.