Any Neurologists or Diagnosticians in the house

8 nights ago at a high school football game, my favourite Son suddenly lost some motor skills/ ability to walk unassisted, slower thought processes, but not slurred speech.  Blood tests first indicated Hypothyroidism which my Mom, Sister, and Niece had issues with. Also a slightly high blood pH which has since been attributed to still growing bones.

I requested a re-sample which came back with normal levels. Now the GP is pushing Mono, which also doesn't match any of the symptoms.  I feel like we're wasting valuable time.. Any clues?

• Plus1 1

Thanks for the thoughts.. 

Robbie is suddenly better today..Planning on going to school tomorrow and practicing (Drumline Sectionals) after school.  (I'm going to sneak in and watch).

I've been pushing seeing a neurologist from the beginning, but it seems we have a GP with some sort of ego issues..

My son in law is currently going through some issues that until recently were thought to have to do with his thyroid.  About three weeks ago after going through a lot of general malaise and lack of energy, he collapsed and was unable to get up.  He had an MRI and they found an arachnoid cyst at the top of his spinal cord that is compressing his brain and causing headaches and a variety of other issues.  Has your son had an MRI?  

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I'd at least get confirmation on the mono diagnosis.  If that's what he has he will still test positive and should still be treated...

Last Thursday, I was told the GP was still pursuing that, but last I heard, his dartboard has him suspecting some sort of virus.

17 hours ago, RedTexan said:

My son in law is currently going through some issues that until recently were thought to have to do with his thyroid.  About three weeks ago after going through a lot of general malaise and lack of energy, he collapsed and was unable to get up.  He had an MRI and they found an arachnoid cyst at the top of his spinal cord that is compressing his brain and causing headaches and a variety of other issues.  Has your son had an MRI?  

Sorry to hear that.. At first I thought this was some sort of spider bite reference.  Robbie drove himself to school (2 miles) without any issues, but still had some balance problems while navigating the halls. I sat in on his drumline sectionals practice (he plays the 6-drum tenor)..Glad it was indoors and they were on stands..His timing seemed to be pretty good considering he was playing new music..He said afterward that his balance seemed to be improving all day... 

His next appointment is tomorrow and I'll text him now about the MRI/Arachnoid possibility..Thanks

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

Just an update on my son..

They never did find out what caused his balance or motor skills problems..Although earlier this week, he thought he was coming down with something similar, but suddenly got better when he stopped taking his acne meds...This was the 2nd or 3rd time he noticed the connection so he's now not taking them one at a time to see if he can figure out which one (or both) might be causing the problems..The Dr. still insists that the meds shouldn't have these side effects. Meanwhile I told him I'm thinking of learning how to read Braille so I can see what his face bumps are trying to say.

His high school marching band that he plays tenor drums (quads) for finished second (again) in the Arizona State Marching Band Championship to a band I thought was 3rd best last Saturday and his garage band also finished 2nd 4 nights ago in the local (PHX) hard rock radio station's 30 local band contest..

IMG_0112.JPG

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

What songs does the rock band play?

They just recorded a cd with 4 original songs a few months ago in L.A. as part of a graduation present?

The only cover I've heard them play was B52's Rock Lobster..Probably because they all played it at their high school during home football games.

I like them (as a proud father) but I really never thought Holmberg would (98kupd's Morning Sickness main host)..They finished the 1st day ranked 3rd out of 15, and held on, still 3rd after the second day of 15 bands.  The top 5 bands were then invited to play at a rock/comedy club that same night, but the guitarist/singer/song writer didn't want to play at the last minute...He was concerned they hadn't practiced in weeks and also figured they wouldn't let my son in the club because of his age..(the rest of the band are 18).

Somehow they finished 2nd even without performing.

I almost didn't even tell them about the contest, but figured they might need to learn how to deal with mean comments from listeners that aren't their friends or family members..I was going to suggest their Arizona ''suckup'' song even though I thought it was their worst one, but thought someone might hear it and want to use it at a sporting event? or something and maybe would be the one most likely to make it past the promised minute of airplay..But when I asked my kid what song they were going with, they'd already sent that one in.

It's about 11 minutes in on this podcast..  https://www.podcastone.com/episode/11-19-18---Playdio-Bands---4-7---Aetheist---Seven-Guns---The-Dittemores---Motive?fbclid=IwAR3iVnhMhpukDdm_bNPWQgMi2xt_ol2deFihnbt4K5_ETjUepyN_9TlpjAg

So glad to hear he's doing well and sounds like life is quite exciting.  Maybe I missed it, but why did the doctor suspect a virus?  And you didn't say what acne meds he's on, but a couple of them do have some significant side affects.  Don't want to assume, but I would think acne meds might alter the body's response to infections, so maybe he did contract a virus or other infection that he couldn't fight off.  Also, has your son had the mennigoccocal vaccine?  Not that I think that's what it is, but he's that age where peers are more important than parents and I've been hearing more about this devastating infection spread by being in close quarters with others.  If he hasn't had it, might talk to doc about it and see if it would be safe for him to take. 

42 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So glad to hear he's doing well and sounds like life is quite exciting.  Maybe I missed it, but why did the doctor suspect a virus?  And you didn't say what acne meds he's on, but a couple of them do have some significant side affects.  Don't want to assume, but I would think acne meds might alter the body's response to infections, so maybe he did contract a virus or other infection that he couldn't fight off.  Also, has your son had the mennigoccocal vaccine?  Not that I think that's what it is, but he's that age where peers are more important than parents and I've been hearing more about this devastating infection spread by being in close quarters with others.  If he hasn't had it, might talk to doc about it and see if it would be safe for him to take.  

Congrats on the 3day thing! I had no idea sleeping pills could be addictive.

He's been on aczone and epiduo forte, but I wouldn't think starting or stopping something that affects your resistance to bacterial infections or a virus would work that fast..Although he'd been on them for 5-6 months prior to his first attack.

I just texted him about the mennigoccocal vaccine...I do remember him complaining about the HPV vaccine that his mom made him get.

36 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Congrats on the 3day thing! I had no idea sleeping pills could be addictive.

He's been on aczone and epiduo forte, but I wouldn't think starting or stopping something that affects your resistance to bacterial infections or a virus would work that fast..Although he'd been on them for 5-6 months prior to his first attack.

I just texted him about the mennigoccocal vaccine...I do remember him complaining about the HPV vaccine that his mom made him get.

Thanks- working on day four now.  Prescription sleeping pills have ruined my normal sleep cycle, so I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow night when I have to go to work on Monday. 

I only brought up the meningococcal thing because I think it's spread the same way mono is . He's probably had the vaccine, but might check because he will also need a 5 year booster 

14 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Thanks- working on day four now.  Prescription sleeping pills have ruined my normal sleep cycle, so I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow night when I have to go to work on Monday. 

I only brought up the meningococcal thing because I think it's spread the same way mono is . He's probably had the vaccine, but might check because he will also need a 5 year booster 

I don't think I've ever had what you'd call a normal sleep cycle..If I ever got more than 4 hours sleep, I used to want to be up for 25..But since I've developed type2 Diabetes, I have trouble staying awake on the commute home from work...These last 4 days off seems like I can't get up before 2PM.. Hoping I can grab a quick nap tonight before leaving for work tomorrow at 5am.

My son didn't recognize the meningo%^&$ and has been ruled out of having had mono.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I don't think I've ever had what you'd call a normal sleep cycle..If I ever got more than 4 hours sleep, I used to want to be up for 25..But since I've developed type2 Diabetes, I have trouble staying awake on the commute home from work...These last 4 days off seems like I can't get up before 2PM.. Hoping I can grab a quick nap tonight before leaving for work tomorrow at 5am.

My son didn't recognize the meningo%^&$ and has been ruled out of having had mono.

I have this same problem. Working midnight shift makes it even worse for me.