Martinez it is

6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

And you never read into statements? Lol

First Frost spoke about a tie, then said...if there ever was  a tie....If I'm Gebbia, I likely never trust Frost again.

You added “ever” this time. Did Frost say “if there was a tie” or “if there ever was a tie” ? I haven’t watched yet. Those 2 quotes mean very different things.

9 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

And you never read into statements? Lol

First Frost spoke about a tie, then said...if there ever was  a tie....If I'm Gebbia, I likely never trust Frost again.

You often have to read into things to some degree.

Going from "if there was a tie" to "the competition was a sham" seems like a Bob Beamon-esque leap.

• Plus1 2

I'm a little late to this, especially with the talk of Gebbia leaving. My initial reaction to naming Martinez the starter was that this was a mistake, a misstep. I know HC Scott Frost is going to do what he thinks is best, and I really hope it works out. But if they are that close, why not try to play Martinez 4 games (with the new red shirt rules) and get 4 1/3 years of service? 

Just now, Branno said:

I'm a little late to this, especially with the talk of Gebbia leaving. My initial reaction to naming Martinez the starter was that this was a mistake, a misstep. I know HC Scott Frost is going to do what he thinks is best, and I really hope it works out. But if they are that close, why not try to play Martinez 4 games (with the new red shirt rules) and get 4 1/3 years of service? 

If Martinez is the best player, you play him.  If Frost is successful, he will have a number of QB's that he can turn to after Martinez.  Don't think 4+ years down the road.

• Plus1 4

If he has indeed withdrawn I wish the kid the best.  I was looking forward to the competition in practice to keep AM on his toes. I don’t think it changes anything for how the offense uses AM, but not having a solid #2 behind him may make them think twice after he takes a couple hits. 

As we continue to recruit multiple QBs we should expect transfers going forward. No one will be gifted a job or afforded the opportunity to be the only QB recruited. 

1 hour ago, NUinID said:

I think EC had a reason to be upset, I believe he was grading out better than Newcombe, and Solich still named BN the starter.  

If Solich had named Crouch the starter, there would have been a huge pro-Newcombe outcry. 

It's still way too early in the Gebbia/Martinez debate. Hope to have them both for the duration.

58 minutes ago, Branno said:

My initial reaction to naming Martinez the starter was that this was a mistake, a misstep. I know HC Scott Frost is going to do what he thinks is best, and I really hope it works out. But if they are that close, why not try to play Martinez 4 games (with the new red shirt rules) and get 4 1/3 years of service? 

I'm not sure what you mean. Play him four games and then see if you want to go with Gebbia for game five if you didn't love the results of Martinez's first four games?

What makes naming Martinez the starter a mistake? He was a hugely recruited, highly athletic QB recruit. Frost said that at UCF a year ago he was their #1 recruit prospect but that he didn't think that UCF had the "pull" to land him.

I don't understand what makes Martinez getting named any kind of a shock or mistake. Both players were freshmen; you've got to choose one, and Verduzco said early in the spring that he doesn't play two guys simultaneously.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Martinez is the best player, you play him.  If Frost is successful, he will have a number of QB's that he can turn to after Martinez.  Don't think 4+ years down the road.

Yep - if you're thinking 4 years down the road, you're missing what's in front of you. What's in front of Frost and Nebraska is a really talented, athletic, composed, mature QB. 

Very excited for AM. 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

They look safe enough

600B_LRG.jpg

I know these look innocent, but my son-maybe 7 at the time- was almost seriously injured by an elderly women who had the throttle pegged while it was in reverse and  lacked the reaction time to let off the gas. I  caught it out the corner of my eye and grabbed him and pulled him out of the way while she, and the vehicle of death,  destroyed the red box kiosk we were standing at. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Play him four games and then see if you want to go with Gebbia for game five if you didn't love the results of Martinez's first four games?

What makes naming Martinez the starter a mistake? He was a hugely recruited, highly athletic QB recruit. Frost said that at UCF a year ago he was their #1 recruit prospect but that he didn't think that UCF had the "pull" to land him.

I don't understand what makes Martinez getting named any kind of a shock or mistake. Both players were freshmen; you've got to choose one, and Verduzco said early in the spring that he doesn't play two guys simultaneously.

You have two players that are, from everything we've heard, effectively tied when it comes to who should be starter. If I was making this decision, I would have the redshirt freshman start, make sure I get meaningful snaps for the true freshman in 4 games. If Gebbia has an injury, or Martinez shows he's the better QB you can change things down the line. This keeps both QBs on the team and possibly keeps an extra year of eligibility for Martinez. 

Instead, we have a situation in which Gebbia is most likely going to leave the team and if the worst happens and Martinez gets hurt we'll have a walk-on starting. 

I get WHY Frost did it, but I believe it was a mistake.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Branno said:

You have two players that are, from everything we've heard, effectively tied when it comes to who should be starter. If I was making this decision, I would have the redshirt freshman start, make sure I get meaningful snaps for the true freshman in 4 games. If Gebbia has an injury, or Martinez shows he's the better QB you can change things down the line. This keeps both QBs on the team and possibly keeps an extra year of eligibility for Martinez. 

Instead, we have a situation in which Gebbia is most likely going to leave the team and if the worst happens and Martinez gets hurt we'll have a walk-on starting. 

I get WHY Frost did it, but I believe it was a mistake.

This is just my personal take and I could be wrong, but after listening to Frost speak at the presser this morning when he said his mind was actually made up around the middle of last week, reading between the lines it seems to me that there wasn't any kind of actual "tie" or a situation where it felt too close to call.

I think by the end of last week with the staff voting unanimously for Martinez, it's clear that he's the better route to go.

But I do see your argument.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is just my personal take and I could be wrong, but after listening to Frost speak at the presser this morning when he said his mind was actually made up around the middle of last week, reading between the lines it seems to me that there wasn't any kind of actual "tie" or a situation where it felt too close to call.

I think by the end of last week with the staff voting unanimously for Martinez, it's clear that he's the better route to go.

But I do see your argument.

Here's the thing. I have no doubt the coaches believe Martinez is their guy and I believe that regardless of what happened this year he was going to be the starter next year. But I think what's been rubbing me the wrong way since this morning is the fact that we knew they had it figured out by at least Friday but they didn't tell Gebbia until he essentially had 1 day to figure out what he was going to do. 

If they knew Wednesday, why not tell him then? I really hope this wasn't an attempt to keep him here, by waiting until it was almost too late for him to transfer.

Regardless, because of the decision that was made we have fewer QBs on the team (I have 0 doubt Martinez stays if Gebbia was made the starter). Maybe I'm too focused on the short term and need to focus on the long term, but we're one injury away from starting a walk-on. I love Coach Frost, and I am so glad he is our coach. But this just seems like it was poorly handled.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It'll all be moot next year.

• Plus1 4