Martinez it is

26 minutes ago, Branno said:

You have two players that are, from everything we've heard, effectively tied when it comes to who should be starter. If I was making this decision, I would have the redshirt freshman start, make sure I get meaningful snaps for the true freshman in 4 games. If Gebbia has an injury, or Martinez shows he's the better QB you can change things down the line. This keeps both QBs on the team and possibly keeps an extra year of eligibility for Martinez. 

Instead, we have a situation in which Gebbia is most likely going to leave the team and if the worst happens and Martinez gets hurt we'll have a walk-on starting. 

I get WHY Frost did it, but I believe it was a mistake.

You would hope the Coach Verdu would have a close enough relationship with both guys to have anticipated this happening and they could have perhaps discussed the ideas of getting BOTH some real snaps early on to get the game experience as a part of their comparison evaluations.  Martinez might well be the better QB, even now, but if they were being honest about it being close, then live game performance ought to be considered before making the long term choice and sitting Gebbia.  I don't think Gebbia leaves IF he believed he still had a reasonable shot to ultimately win the job.   Apparently not.  Perhaps he didn't really feel that way all along but if so he hid it very well.   I saw his comraderie and support for Adrian in the spring game etc.   We really never heard anything but how the two were getting along well and helping each other etc.   That is NOT the action of a selfish player who was in a do or die race for his future as a NFL QB.   If the NFL was his foremost objective, he probably should have left with POB in the spring.  

I will remain hopeful Gebbia decides to stay with his team.  

10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

"Rumor" is he has withdrawn from UNL.  Another rumor is one must be a student to be eligible to play.

I guess he could withdraw his drop and add or re-enroll or something.   I bet the paperwork process is weeks to complete or be 'final' so to speak.   Rumors are not always correct.  Frost seemed to not be sure what Tristan was going to do.   Sad day for Husker football and for Gebbia too.  

I think it was a competition and Martinez won.  You play the best guy and it just so happens it is the freshmen that fits your system better.  Furthermore the guy that lost just ditched out on his team (not 100% confirmed).  The right choice was made.  Mistakes will be made, but gebbia would have made mistakes too.  I feel frost and MV have the team in mind, and selected the player to give them the best chance to win. Bring on Akron!

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I guess he could withdraw his drop and add or re-enroll or something.   I bet the paperwork process is weeks to complete or be 'final' so to speak.   Rumors are not always correct.  Frost seemed to not be sure what Tristan was going to do.   Sad day for Husker football and for Gebbia too.  

Enrolling in classes isn’t like you (or even I) were in school. Dropping classes can be done pretty instantly now. 

We became attached to TG's work ethic and attitude.  He is a great guy... But was never a fit for Frost's offense.  No reason to lose any sleep over how this was handled.  He got a fair shot and lost.  If AM would have struggled through fall camp, he would be the starter and the conversation would be different.  AM didn't and won the spot he was recruited for... Great news for Husker fans.  GBR

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Branno said:

You have two players that are, from everything we've heard, effectively tied when it comes to who should be starter. If I was making this decision, I would have the redshirt freshman start, make sure I get meaningful snaps for the true freshman in 4 games. If Gebbia has an injury, or Martinez shows he's the better QB you can change things down the line. This keeps both QBs on the team and possibly keeps an extra year of eligibility for Martinez. 

Instead, we have a situation in which Gebbia is most likely going to leave the team and if the worst happens and Martinez gets hurt we'll have a walk-on starting. 

I get WHY Frost did it, but I believe it was a mistake.

this could sure cause some 2nd guessing by this coaching staff.........we will never know. but i believe Frost was truly caught off guard.

Love to see how SF would explain to the seniors that are working their A**es off for their final season that he is starting the second best QB so that he can have the best QB for the following 4 years.  Guess he could tell the seniors that he will at least invite them back to see the championship rings that they win in 2022.

• Plus1 4
5 hours ago, Branno said:

Here's the thing. I have no doubt the coaches believe Martinez is their guy and I believe that regardless of what happened this year he was going to be the starter next year. But I think what's been rubbing me the wrong way since this morning is the fact that we knew they had it figured out by at least Friday but they didn't tell Gebbia until he essentially had 1 day to figure out what he was going to do. 

If they knew Wednesday, why not tell him then? I really hope this wasn't an attempt to keep him here, by waiting until it was almost too late for him to transfer.

The scholarship was already burned by the middle of last week, so...

5 hours ago, TheSker said:

"Rumor" is he has withdrawn from UNL.  Another rumor is one must be a student to be eligible to play.

It was confirmed by a UNL rep, per https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/gebbia-misses-practice-unl-says-he-s-no-longer-enrolled/article_ff094f24-aa1c-11e8-89a9-af69c0a89491.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

8 hours ago, Undone said:

This is just my personal take and I could be wrong, but after listening to Frost speak at the presser this morning when he said his mind was actually made up around the middle of last week, reading between the lines it seems to me that there wasn't any kind of actual "tie" or a situation where it felt too close to call.

I think by the end of last week with the staff voting unanimously for Martinez, it's clear that he's the better route to go.

But I do see your argument.

I'd like to think Frost wasn't being dishonest about how tight the race was.

Losing Gebbia hurts but what would hurt more is if Frost had started him over Martinez, the player who he knew to be better, just for the sake of keeping Gebbia.  Now had that happened, the roles could have been reversed and perhaps it would have been Martinez who would be leaving the program.  Now, if it were me, I start the better player knowing that if I do not, I could in fact lose him instead of my second choice.  

I'm actually surprised Gebbia stayed as long as he did, I believe that Frost had something to do with it and did want to give him an equal opportunity to become the starter this season.  He did not and he wants to start so I say good luck to him wherever he ends up.  It would have been better for the program and Gebbia had he stayed, who knows, he may have been the starter at some point this season, but kids sometimes make rash decisions and do not take a step back and think about the consequences of their actions, and that is what growing up is all about.

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd like to think Frost wasn't being dishonest about how tight the race was.

Me neither, for sure. And I don't think he was being dishonest at all. 

Maybe the race had been very tight through the first half of fall camp, but towards the beginning of last week Martinez began to start to separate himself a bit. I fully believe the race had been every bit as tight as Frost had said it was and careful deliberation was absolutely necessary, but the more they saw of the two guys, Martinez emerged clearly towards the middle/end of last week.

I don't think it even matters now, though.