Martinez it is

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The run game and defense needs to step it up this year. Hopefully we don't try to play too conservative with AM. Injuries can happen to any player, but I also feel that isn't something you should worry about as a coach. 

Sharp and Benning are discussing that a bit in their first segment this morning.  They don't think Frost will change his philosophy too much this year, just because the QB depth is thin.  Frost is going to bet on himself, his offense, and his mantra of "family first".  It might result in lumps this year, but it is needed to be done for the long-term progress of Frost's program.

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Injuries can happen to any player, but I also feel that isn't something you should worry about as a coach. 

Frost really didn't have much depth the last two years and he was a very aggressive play caller. The thing about the QB run game, really regardless of offense, is not having the QB run any more than necessary. Even in extremely run heavy offenses, it's a bad sign if the QB is having to run a lot. This offense, maybe a half dozen designed runs, a few scrambles, maybe 10 total runs a game is a good ballpark. Any more than that and there's probably execution and/or blocking issues.

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd like to think Frost wasn't being dishonest about how tight the race was.

That's what baffles me a bit are people throwing around the terms backup and second best as if Martinez was far superior to Gebbia. Effectively they were tied but only one can be the starter and Martinez was a little more mobile and that was used as a tie-breaker.

I'm just looking forward to Akron so we can finally talk about something other than this.

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Why the hell would the coaching staff second guess starting the best QB on the team? You don't not start the best guy because the back up might leave.

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/1034478709296775169

Sam McKewon - @swmckewonOWH: Frost said there was no changing Gebbia’s mind. Further, he said he would have managed the situation differently if he’d known someone would leave.

28 minutes ago, Branno said:

Why are you quoting me? This doesn’t at all refute what I said.

”Handling it differently” is not picking a different player to start the game. Or if it is my opinion of Frost would lower significantly.

Edit: What Ziebol said. I haven’t read it yet but if that’s true then Frost means he wouldn’t have wasted as many reps on Gebbia. Which is the opposite of letting the loser of the competition start the game.

1 hour ago, Branno said:

That's what baffles me a bit are people throwing around the terms backup and second best as if Martinez was far superior to Gebbia. Effectively they were tied but only one can be the starter and Martinez was a little more mobile and that was used as a tie-breaker.

I'm just looking forward to Akron so we can finally talk about something other than this.

Frost said “if there was a tie” for a reason. Furthermore he took a poll of the other coaches and they all picked Martinez. Since it was unanimous that lends creedence to the idea it wasn’t a tie.

The competition being close doesn’t mean it was a tie. Maybe there were times in the 2 camps where it was a tie.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

During the whole QB evaluation process, I wonder if the question was asked of each QB: "how will you react if you are not named the starter?" And I wonder if Gebbia (and AM for that matter) would have been honest with their answer. 

Of course they aren't going to be honest in that answer.  They are going to tell the coaches what they want to hear.

32 minutes ago, Ulty said:

During the whole QB evaluation process, I wonder if the question was asked of each QB: "how will you react if you are not named the starter?" And I wonder if Gebbia (and AM for that matter) would have been honest with their answer. 

No way in hell. Just like when my company didn’t pay me enough (among other issues), I was applying for jobs behind my boss’s back and I told her I was happy where I was.

People are saying crazy things right now, like Frost would’ve/should’ve given Gebbia the job to prevent him from leaving.

Here’s my take. If Frost knew Gebbia would leave immediately this season if not given the job he would have picked Martinez weeks ago. I’m sure he considered Gebbia would leave after the season but probably didn’t expect him to leave on game week this season.

• Plus1 1