Martinez it is

6 minutes ago, FTW said:

It seems to me that Frost's number one concern with TG is his size. He wants him to get bigger and stronger. I don't think he was that impressed by him with off-season workouts however, AM was able to bulk up and do exactly what HCSF wanted.

Martinez definitely does not look like a typical true freshman. Add to that people have said he is super cool under pressure, has great football IQ, we might have something special there. Let's just hope the kid has an O-Line to protect him this year.

It might be...I think that it is the fact that AM can run.  

6 minutes ago, FTW said:

It seems to me that Frost's number one concern with TG is his size. He wants him to get bigger and stronger. I don't think he was that impressed by him with off-season workouts however, AM was able to bulk up and do exactly what HCSF wanted.

Martinez definitely does not look like a typical true freshman. Add to that people have said he is super cool under pressure, has great football IQ, we might have something special there. Let's just hope the kid has an O-Line to protect him this year.

I think if that were the case, the competition wouldn't have been as close as it was.  They very well may want Gebbia to bulk up more.  But, if they thought he was slacking in the off season, it would have been an easier decision to pick Martinez.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It might be...I think that it is the fact that AM can run.  

I think it's not too far from the truth. From what I've heard his size is his weakness and he made some errors during live scrimmages. I'm paraphrasing but Frost is on record saying you've got to be big in this conference to take the hits. This was during a sort of quick Q&A session on the quarterbacks. 

They knew AM had the tools, the speed, and the size. I think more than anything maybe they didn't expect him to be mentally ready this early. I think from day one, AM was their guy and day one to me is when Mario Verduzco phoned him immediately after they won the AAC championship game.

A true freshman today is not the same as a true freshman 15-20 years ago. I'm not too surprised by it, TBH. Kids are more mature in HS and coming out of HS now. In some cases, they're physically ready to go once arriving to campus. The mental aspect is always the area to worry about with a true freshman or redshirt freshman.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, FTW said:

This. 100% this. If our O-line is at least average in being able to protect the QB, I think we are set for a pretty good season with ample opportunity for AM to grow into the position. But if not... it's likely going to be ugly, regardless which freshman QB we throw back there.

• Plus1 1

Looking at the depth chart (link above) - two things stand out. 

1) Looks like we'll be running a 3-4 defense. I believe we tried this last season (I forget - I've erased that season from memory), but hopefully this year's version will look much better. Maybe we'll be able to see the safeties and corners on TV. 

2) The offensive line looks bigger than years past. As listed on the depth chart, the average weight of our starting offensive line this year is 322 lbs. That's 17 pounds heavier on average when compared to 2017 and 23 pounds heavier on average when compared to 2016. Also, the weight gain in returning players from 2017 to 2018 is incredible. 

• Jaimes is up to 300lbs from 280lbs
  • Foster is up to 335lbs from 310lbs
  • Conrad is up to 320lbs from 300lbs
  • Farmer is up to 325lbs from 305lbs
  • Farniok is up to 330lbs from 315lbs

That weight (presumably strength) gain crushes the difference made from 2016 to 2017:

• Nick Gates went from 290lbs in 2016 to 295lbs in 2017
  • Foster went from 310lbs in 2016 to 310lbs in 2017
  • Decker went from 285lbs in 2016 to 305lbs in 2017
  • Farmer went from 295lbs in 2016 to 305lbs in 2017
  • Conrad went from 305lbs in 2016 to 300lbs in 2017

Assuming this weight gain is increase in muscle - I'm going to be optimistic about the performance of our offensive line this season. 

Relating this back to Martinez, I think the offensive line may give him more time than most QBs we've had in prior years. That should only bode well. 

• Plus1 5
Just now, khaake said:

This. 100% this. If our O-line is at least average in being able to protect the QB, I think we are set for a pretty good season with ample opportunity for AM to grow into the position. But if not... it's likely going to be ugly, regardless which freshman QB we throw back there.

If we don't have an OL, Martinez will be scrambling a lot and I don't know if SF is comfortable with him getting 15+ carries a game but you never know. HS coaches drooled over his running ability. Things have changed. I just think in college these days, asking your QB to run that much is asking for trouble. We are so green on offense. Maybe the fast tempo will cover up some holes or deficiencies on our O-Line.

1 minute ago, FTW said:

If we don't have an OL, Martinez will be scrambling a lot and I don't know if SF is comfortable with him getting 15+ carries a game but you never know. HS coaches drooled over his running ability. Things have changed. I just think in college these days, asking your QB to run that much is asking for trouble. We are so green on offense. Maybe the fast tempo will cover up some holes or deficiencies on our O-Line.

I think in the first game it will be Akron that covers up some of our holes...they are not going to be a good team.

2 minutes ago, FTW said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this season's offensive line will be one of the better offensive line's we've seen this decade. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

1) Looks like we'll be running a 3-4 defense. I believe we tried this last season (I forget - I've erased that season from memory), but hopefully this year's version will look much better. Maybe we'll be able to see the safeties and corners on TV. 

2) The offensive line looks bigger than years past. As listed on the depth chart, the average weight of our starting offensive line this year is 322 lbs. That's 17 pounds heavier on average when compared to 2017 and 23 pounds heavier on average when compared to 2016. Also, the weight gain in returning players from 2017 to 2018 is incredible. 

That weight (presumably strength) gain crushes the difference made from 2016 to 2017:

Assuming this weight gain is increase in muscle - I'm going to be optimistic about the performance of our offensive line this season. 

:lol: having the safeties that far back was part of Bob Diaco's "winning strategy." 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think in the first game it will be Akron that covers up some of our holes...they are not going to be a good team.

I think Troy is gonna be a decent test otherwise Ann Arbor is what I'm looking at. You're gonna have quite a match up there. Their defense is expected to be salty. Maybe Frost can outcoach that weird HC of theirs. The big house really isn't all that loud and intimidating as announcers make it out to be.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, brophog said:

Here in about 3 hours or so, Frost can tell us himself. 

I'm wondering if AM gets to talk to the media. If I'm SF, I think I'd do what I can to make him hands off until after the opener. This is a true freshman. It doesn't need to be made bigger than it already is.

42 minutes ago, FTW said:

I'm wondering if AM gets to talk to the media. If I'm SF, I think I'd do what I can to make him hands off until after the opener. This is a true freshman. It doesn't need to be made bigger than it already is.

Frost said the starter would be talking on Monday.

Martinez seems to be a pretty level headed guy. 

43 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Relating this back to Martinez, I think the offensive line may give him more time than most QBs we've had in prior years. That should only bode well. 

38 minutes ago, FTW said:

:lol: having the safeties that far back was part of Bob Diaco's "winning strategy." 

The 3-4 has nothing to do with last years issues. We played prevent defense all year long. It was like we were attempting to stop a Hail Mary at all times! 

This year we will attack. You will see linebackers blitzing, dline rushing, and DBs taking chances. Might give up points but there will be a night and day difference between what we saw in last years 3-4 prevent scheme vs this years at 3-4 attacking scheme.

5 minutes ago, bhunt7 said:

The 3-4 has nothing to do with last years issues. We played prevent defense all year long. It was like we were attempting to stop a Hail Mary at all times! 

This year we will attack. You will see linebackers blitzing, dline rushing, and DBs taking chances. Might give up points but there will be a night and day difference between what we saw in last years 3-4 prevent scheme vs this years at 3-4 attacking scheme.

Ya I think we're going to see the secondary using press coverage more and disguise who the 4th pass rusher will be. I think when you're aggressive and attack an offense it makes them more susceptible to make mistakes, i.e. turn the ball over.