Martinez it is

16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Frost said the starter would be talking on Monday.

Martinez seems to be a pretty level headed guy. 

Being level headed is probably one reason why he earned the starting job. The staff trusts him. I may have heard him speak a few times and came away thinking he was a pretty sharp dude.

1 hour ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Looks like we'll be running a 3-4 defense. I believe we tried this last season (I forget - I've erased that season from memory), but hopefully this year's version will look much better. Maybe we'll be able to see the safeties and corners on TV.

The difference between the two systems is that Diaco says "Don't give up the big play," while Chinander says "Go make a big play of your own." Passive vs aggressive.

Chin also kinda shrugs at the 3-4 label - he thinks it's kind of a silly distinction.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Toe said:

The difference between the two systems is that Diaco says "Don't give up the big play," while Chinander says "Go make a big play of your own." Passive vs aggressive.

Chin also kinda shrugs at the 3-4 label - he thinks it's kind of a silly distinction.

Well Diaco's certainly was silly.

2 hours ago, FTW said:

I think Troy is gonna be a decent test otherwise Ann Arbor is what I'm looking at. You're gonna have quite a match up there. Their defense is expected to be salty. Maybe Frost can outcoach that weird HC of theirs. The big house really isn't all that loud and intimidating as announcers make it out to be.

I saw that Troy received a couple votes in the preseason polls, and Nebraska received zero. So it wouldn't be crazy if Troy was favored to win.

2 hours ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Looking at the depth chart (link above) - two things stand out. 

1) Looks like we'll be running a 3-4 defense. I believe we tried this last season (I forget - I've erased that season from memory), but hopefully this year's version will look much better. Maybe we'll be able to see the safeties and corners on TV. 

2) The offensive line looks bigger than years past. As listed on the depth chart, the average weight of our starting offensive line this year is 322 lbs. That's 17 pounds heavier on average when compared to 2017 and 23 pounds heavier on average when compared to 2016. Also, the weight gain in returning players from 2017 to 2018 is incredible. 

• Jaimes is up to 300lbs from 280lbs
  • Foster is up to 335lbs from 310lbs
  • Conrad is up to 320lbs from 300lbs
  • Farmer is up to 325lbs from 305lbs
  • Farniok is up to 330lbs from 315lbs

That weight (presumably strength) gain crushes the difference made from 2016 to 2017:

• Nick Gates went from 290lbs in 2016 to 295lbs in 2017
  • Foster went from 310lbs in 2016 to 310lbs in 2017
  • Decker went from 285lbs in 2016 to 305lbs in 2017
  • Farmer went from 295lbs in 2016 to 305lbs in 2017
  • Conrad went from 305lbs in 2016 to 300lbs in 2017

Assuming this weight gain is increase in muscle - I'm going to be optimistic about the performance of our offensive line this season. 

Relating this back to Martinez, I think the offensive line may give him more time than most QBs we've had in prior years. That should only bode well. 

Great post!

I've felt like our S&C has been off ever since probably Epley left. Philipp seemed better but as you evidenced the results really weren't there either. 

The lineman just physically look like they've been carrying a lot of bad weight ever since I've been old enough to really pay attention to the team. I won't go through the effort of posting that shirtless Jake Cotton picture - I think we've all seen enough of that. I get that not everyone that size is going to look like Hercules. But it seems to me the type of weight guys are carrying has been an issue for a long time. To your point, hopefully this offseason Duval has had them put on mostly good weight and focus mainly on just getting stronger.

And then we've just been so injury prone for so long, both in the trenches and elsewhere. I've long wondered if faulty S&C practices played into that. And then you factor in what we heard in the offseason about what the previous staff had them doing for lifting and it just makes me shudder. Long past time we turn the page.

The line you posted for this year looks on paper a whole hell of a lot more like Wisconsin's or Iowa's. That's a GREAT thing!

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I saw that Troy received a couple votes in the preseason polls, and Nebraska received zero. So it wouldn't be crazy if Troy was favored to win.

Let's see how we do in the first 2 weeks though. We're right where we deserve to be. Worry about us week to week and let the chips fall where they may.

A friend of mine just texted and said that there's smoke blowing about that Gebbia missed practice today and is gone. He said that it's nothing official or confirmed but a RUMOR that is picking up steam. I was just seeing if anyone else has heard anything. I really hope he doesn't know what he's talking about. If a MOD thinks my comment needs to be moved or deleted, please feel free.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

From a liability perspective do we want our newly named starting QB on a scooter. I recall from my time there how many crazy drivers there are. :)

Did he buy the scooter from MR's garage sale as he was leaving Lincoln? I didn't like a HC driving a Prius, and I am not sure I like our starting QB on a scooter. Shouldn't he be riding a Harley?

• Plus1 1