Official Depth Chart

13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Riley had many problems.  Coaching and recruiting were among them.

If recruiting wasn't a problem for Riley, Frost wouldn't have had to flip the roster like he did.

Riley could connect with a few big names on social media, and maybe even get a couple of campus visits.....but his results speak to his abilities.

This may just be semantics, but I think you need to be careful with the bolded. Several different factors weighed into Frost's recruiting strategy and influx of new talent. By and large, he needed players to fit his schemes that Nebraska didn't have on offense.

For clarity, I'm not absolving Riley. He left holes on the roster and tried to go for flash over substance at times. But, any coach worth their salt and with different schemes than Riley would've needed to come in here and try to infuse as many players that fit the new mold as possible.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

For clarity, I'm not absolving Riley. He left holes on the roster and tried to go for flash over substance at times. But, any coach worth their salt and with different schemes than Riley would've need to come in here and try to infuse as many players that fit the new mold as possible.

While their offenses are extremely different in many ways, I'm not sure Frost had to flip the roster based on scheme so much. For instance, Riley tended to recruit a lot of small receivers. That type plays into what Frost does well. Riley recruited longer defensive backs, this staff does, too. Riley liked tight ends, this offense uses a lot of tight ends in a lot of ways. Full back is obviously a position they disagreed on.

In my opinion, any needed change of roster wasn't as much to fit scheme as it was a quality and numbers issue, and the latter is mostly explained by Riley's effective early firing gutting his recruiting class last year.

3 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

No Avery Anderson or Eric Lee.

Haven't heard much about either, so from that aspect not much of a surprise. But the fact that Lee started last year and now he's not in the 2 deep? Hopefully the new guys are that good, although Lee didn't play that well last year either 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Wunderkind said:

Haven't heard much about either, so from that aspect not much of a surprise. But the fact that Lee started last year and now he's not in the 2 deep? Hopefully the new guys are that good, although Lee didn't play that well last year either 

Agree with you. They have 3 players listed at both safety spots so it seems intentional to leave Lee of the chart as 3rd string corner. I’m not even sure Anderson would be 4th string safety at this point. Might be more to it or might be nothing but seems like the writing is on the wall for both Lee and Anderson moving forward.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

While their offenses are extremely different in many ways, I'm not sure Frost had to flip the roster based on scheme so much. For instance, Riley tended to recruit a lot of small receivers. That type plays into what Frost does well. Riley recruited longer defensive backs, this staff does, too. Riley liked tight ends, this offense uses a lot of tight ends in a lot of ways. Full back is obviously a position they disagreed on.

In my opinion, any needed change of roster wasn't as much to fit scheme as it was a quality and numbers issue, and the latter is mostly explained by Riley's effective early firing gutting his recruiting class last year.

I agree with much of this, but then there are examples where the new staff brought in players that the previous staff probably wouldn't have taken. Frost also infused a speed emphasis with some of these additions, a trait that I don't remember the previous staff ever speaking about to the degree that the new staff does.

Again, I just think it's a somewhat troubling narrative to say 'Riley had problems recruiting which is why Frost had to flip the roster.' Frost's strategy was about more than Riley having had some recruiting problems.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Again, I just think it's a somewhat troubling narrative to say 'Riley had problems recruiting which is why Frost had to flip the roster.' Frost's strategy was about more than Riley having had some recruiting problems.

I agree. Most of the roster losses are guys that wouldn't have played for Riley, either. 

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

How can it be a "somewhat troubling narrative" on a message board?

The talent that Frost wanted for his scheme wasn't here.

The talent Riley needed for his scheme apparently wasn't here either......

• Plus1 1