Official Depth Chart

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

So the guys Riley recruited wouldn't have played for him either?

And that wouldn't be considered deficient recruiting?

Riley was an average recruiter.  He was praised for bringing in some big names at some positions, but he wasn't a very good recruiter across the entire roster.  Outside of the lines (where size and experience is important) newcomers are all over the depth chart.  That is Frost looking at the roster when he came in and recruiting hard to bring in more talent to compete for starting positions.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The talent Riley needed for his scheme apparently wasn't here either......

I believe it was here. I believe we had talent to work with when Frost get here and agree that Frost focuses on speed so he needed to bring in more of it to fit his offense and defense, and he also needed to make up for the s#!tty recruiting during the last season.

I think Riley and his staff were that bad at coaching. And I don't just mean schemes, I mean developing the talent they had. We were terrible because they were terrible coaches, not because we didn't have enough talent. Riley had the top recruiting classes in the B1G West for the 3 years before his final season. Recruiting rankings aren't the be all end all of judging talent, but they aren't so wrong as to think if a team goes 4-8 you assume the rankings were that far off instead of thinking the coaches sucked at working with the tools they had.

This whole conversation started because there aren't that many Frost recruits starting. I did a quick count and found 5 out of 22.

Mike Williams, Greg Bell, Tre Neal, Adrian Martinez, and Will Honas.

He's starting a lot of players who started or were 2nd string for Riley. My argument is that isn't a bad sign because I believe Frost and his staff can coach a hell of a lot better than Riley. We had talent, it was just misused.

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This whole conversation started because there aren't that many Frost recruits starting. I did a quick count and found 5 out of 22.

However, having 11 newcomers listed in the 2-deep depth chart to start the season isn't an endorsement of the talent and depth which was there.

Yes, Frost was going to improve the roster by having them go through a better S&C program, but to have this many newcomers being counted on to contribute does show that the roster had glaring holes in a number of positions.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

However, having 11 newcomers listed in the 2-deep depth chart to start the season isn't an endorsement of the talent and depth which was there.

Yes, Frost was going to improve the roster by having them go through a better S&C program, but to have this many newcomers being counted on to contribute does show that the roster had glaring holes in a number of positions.

I agree there were some places we didn't have much depth. I call that roster mismanagement. I think what was recruited was talented. I also think Frost will do better at recruiting. FWIW I never jumped on the Riley recruiting hype train. I just believe the recruiting rankings are fairly accurate.

Not a single 'OR' on the O-line. Ozigbo the only returning RB on the list. I'm not surprised to see him on the list, but I wonder if his position will be reflected in his number of carries, given that they said they intend to use him as the goal line guy.

14 minutes ago, Toe said:

Not a single 'OR' on the O-line. Ozigbo the only returning RB on the list. I'm not surprised to see him on the list, but I wonder if his position will be reflected in his number of carries, given that they said they intend to use him as the goal line guy.

That was the word 2 weeks ago. He may have impressed since then.

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Actually I think I mixed him up with Cam Taylor (as far as coaches and players talking about him). Oh well.

The local media would mention Tannor as an impressive true freshman, in the brief glimpses of the practices they would see.  The guy came in physically ready to play right away, not all freshman are like that.

34 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The local media would mention Tannor as an impressive true freshman, in the brief glimpses of the practices they would see.  The guy came in physically ready to play right away, not all freshman are like that.

Frost and friends need to find another OLB like Tannor in this class. Gotta get at least 1 like him per class.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

How can it be a "somewhat troubling narrative" on a message board?

The talent that Frost wanted for his scheme wasn't here.

The talent Riley needed for his scheme apparently wasn't here either......

I don't understand what you're trying to say with your first sentence.

As for talent, Frost said several times he likes a lot of the talent left over from the previous staff. He/his staff also said the talent level was better than 4-8. I agree Riley had recruiting deficiencies but to broad stroke suggest that was reason Frost had to 'flip' the roster ultimately ignores some of the other non-Riley related reasons they had to add new talent. Frost also needed some guys who do things a little bit differently than what Riley needed.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I remember Tannor also looked pretty good physically when he first committed out of Georgia.

I was watching a football game on ESPN yesterday afternoon that I thought was between two Division Two college football teams. It took me five minutes to realize I was watching a high school game in Georgia. It's a different breed of football down there.