Tristan Gebbia

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

11 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Hmmm wonder what would have been different? Giving Martinez a lot more reps comes to mind.

Perhaps he would have handled it like Saban has with not naming a starter and playing both in the first game... that pretty much excludes a transfer until next semester. 

• Plus1 3

12 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Hmmm wonder what would have been different? Giving Martinez a lot more reps comes to mind.

That was the only thing I can think of.  If they were leaning one way, maybe let the guys know earlier instead of going right down to the end.  

I don't have an issue with how they seemed to handle it.  But that's the only thing I can think to do differently.

2 hours ago, JKinney said:

I never said Tristan shouldn't follow his dream....my post simply stated that it shouldn't be framed in terms of as the best overall decision he could make for his future.  That is not clear.

You mean you don't have a crystal ball?

Interesting...

1 minute ago, Gage County said:

This staff is usually very situational aware, hard to believe they missed it. I had assumed that this possibility had always been under consideration. Some more facts and insight will help.

One thing that I'm noticing about the majority of posters on this board is really fascinating. Many of you take Frost's words verbatim as gospel itself and then attempt to decipher in retrospect whether he was "being truthful."

I've seen that now come up in multiple threads.

Maybe stop taking Frost's words so literally and putting them under such scrutiny. Do you actually think it didn't cross his mind that Gebbia might transfer? I don't believe that for a second. And that's not "calling Frost a liar." That's how coaches - pretty much all coaches - talk to the media.

• Plus1 8

52 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I didnt read all of the comments on this thread, but it could be possible that the TG felt like the staff delayed their decision to hold him in camp as long as possible to prevent a transfer. 

Frost has been crystal clear for a long time now that he wanted to name a starter by game week which is what he did. He never wavered from that statement publicly. So, when he says the battle really came down to the end, I believe him.

Otherwise, Frost would risk losing the respect of his players. They'd know which QB was performing better and then they'd match that to what he was saying with the media. Frost preaches 'team before me' and being players' coaches. Delaying a decision just to keep TG on the team would be a fairly egregious affront to that mentality.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Mavric said:

He was considered a likely NFL draft pick IN SPITE of his decision to stay.  There was nothing about his decision to stay that made him a more likely NFL draft choice.  It (would have) worked out for him.

You still have one example of one guy from over 20 years ago.  There are always outliers.  Those stories are 1 in 1000 (maybe).

I guess we also have Eric Crouch. 1 in 500. 

Surely there’s an example of someone that has left a team and then was drafted. I’m thinking for argument sake the example should be a QB to a QB transfer. 

4 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Would you advise your child to pursue a dream as an actor or poet? Part of becoming an adult is balancing what I want to do with practicality.

In TG's case I would say follow your dreams, you can always adult later. Worst case you end up with a degree from SOMEWHERE that you didn't have to pay for. 

I personally went the 'safe' route and I'm not regretful I did but it doesn't stop me from wondering what would have happened or if I would've been happier.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia