Tristan Gebbia

13 minutes ago, NUance said:

What if the decision on whether or not to transfer has to do with something other than TG's dreams?  He committed to play for us.  In return we gave him one of our 85 scholarship slots.  We can't get that scholarship back for 2018.  It's burned.  That, and there's a whole roster full of teammates depending on him being on the team.  But now all that's left is an empty locker with Tristan Gebbia's name on it.  And an empty scholarship.  

It's too bad that he didn't win the starting job.  But when you commit to a team and have teammates depending on you, you can't just pick up and leave if things don't go exactly the right way for you.  Now we'll be razor thin at  the QB position for the year.  And we have a wasted scholarship that could have gone to some other player who would have been loyal to his team.  

I can't understand why so many people in this thread are arguing that it's okay for TG to leave.  Have you never been on a team before?  Haven't you ever had teammates depending on you?  

Was it ok for Frost to leave Stanford in '94? 

• Plus1 2

Just now, NUance said:

Actually I haven't.  I've only left jobs when they didn't come through with what they promised.   Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't live up to their word these days.  

But your comparison fails.  If an employee leaves the company can simply go out and hire another employee.  The Huskers can't do that.  The rest of the team will just have to carry on with one empty scholarship slot.  

For one season (really just about 6 months) in a rebuild year, we're down one player. So what? The Huskers will continue on without Tristan just fine. A company that loses an employee can go out and hire another one, but the next day? The next week? The next month? The next year? How important was their job? Do you still hold it against that person for going on to a better personal opportunity for themselves even if the company takes a long time to find a replacement and struggles because of it?

You're really coming across much worse than I think you realize, here. This is a kid trying to make the best decision for his life. You're saying he shouldn't do that, out of some sense of honor or pride or self-sacrifice for a team. A team that isn't helping him reach his goals. 

4 minutes ago, Oade said:

* A 3-win Stanford team.... The dude couldn't earn the starting spot on a 3 win team. Weak.

Apparently Scott Frost doesn't understand the value and the commitment of being on a team. Sad, really. 

• Plus1 4
Just now, NUance said:

Actually I haven't.  I've only left jobs when they didn't come through with what they promised.   Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't live up to their word these days.  

But your comparison fails.  If an employee leaves the company can simply go out and hire another employee.  The Huskers can't do that.  The rest of the team will just have to carry on with one empty scholarship slot.  

I get what you are saying but he/they have 4 years...that is it (okay sort of 5)...4 years to make your dream come true and be a starter.  There is no do over, no time machine.  

It sounds selfish that you have to do what is right for you but you do.  I know they preach family and all that stuff but in all honesty once those guys graduate/go to the NFL they aren't "family" anymore, they don't hang out anymore, it just doesn't work that way as people's lives go on.  It is a nice thought and it is very romanticised but it is not reality.  

I left a great school after 12 years...I thought it was a "family" since I left I have gotten emails/texts from two of my former coworkers...they don't really care about me (and I am freaking amazing, just ask me)

I get both sides but in the end I would do what is best for me.  Whatever I thought that was.  In this case, I would not want to leave because I would rather be second string and get to have fun (Blue Mountain State)

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Was it ok for Frost to leave Stanford in '94? 

Different situation.  The coach who recruited him, Bill Walsh, got fired.  And Frost didn't burn a scholarship when he left.  He transferred in January.  

But what if Scott Frost had done exactly what Tristian Gebbia is doing?  What if he had bailed out on the eve of Stanford's season because he didn't get named the starter?  Would those hypothetical actions by Scott Frost 20 years ago make it right to act like that today.  No, it wouldn't.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, NUance said:

Different situation.  The coach who recruited him, Bill Walsh, got fired.  And Frost didn't burn a scholarship when he left.  He transferred in January.  

But what if Scott Frost had done exactly what Tristian Gebbia is doing?  What if he had bailed out on the eve of Stanford's season because he didn't get named the starter?  Would those hypothetical actions by Scott Frost 20 years ago make it right to act like that today.  No, it wouldn't.  

Lmfao if it would have brought Nebraska a title, it wouldn't have mattered at all.  And yes the situations are extremely similar.  Actually he didn't even try to compete for the next QB job, he went to where it would be easier to start. 

2 minutes ago, NUance said:

Wait....what?

1 minute ago, KingBlank said:

Lmfao if it would have brought Nebraska a title, it wouldn't have mattered at all.  And yes the situations are extremely similar.  Actually he didn't even try to compete for the next QB job, he went to where it would be easier to start. 

Frost saw the NU depth chart and thought "I know I can beat out Matt Turman!!!  I am going back to Nebraska."

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

You're really coming across much worse than I think you realize, here. This is a kid trying to make the best decision for his life. You're saying he shouldn't do that, out of some sense of honor or pride or self-sacrifice for a team. A team that isn't helping him reach his goals. 

I appear bad because I think people should live up to their word and honor their commitments?  Because I think it's wrong to bail out on your teammates on the eve of the first game just because you don't win the starting position?  Well, I can't help what other people's opinions are.  Only my own.  

• Plus1 2
Just now, NUance said:

I appear bad because I think people should live up to their word and honor their commitments?  Because I think it's wrong to bail out on your teammates on the eve of the first game just because you don't win the starting position?  Well, I can't help what other people's opinions are.  Only my own.  

I don't think you look bad.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I don't see Tristan's actions as hypocritical, I see them as acting in his own best interest and good for him.

Hypothetical.  Because SF didn't do what I outlined in the post above.  But if he had (hypothetical) would that mean it's okay for people to act that way today?  

1 minute ago, NUance said:

Yes, that would've been okay for Frost to do...... One size does not fit all. Maybe its best for some people top "stick it out", but thats definitely not the solution for everyone. Both universities seem to be doing ok for themselves anyhow.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia