Tristan Gebbia

54 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

How did you get that?

All I'm saying is that no matter how hard Gebbia worked he wasn't going to win the starting job here. Why? Because Martinez is the guy the coaches wanted to win it all along. 

If AM hadn't performed well or had shown typical freshman characteristics, Gebbia would have absolutely started.  The reality is AM did perform as good or better than Gebbia and has more of the athletic fit that this offense wants.  What your suggesting is ridiculous and that the entire staff basically just used the young man.  TG had his shot but that shot was at least partially dependent on AM failing.  Thankfully for Husker Nation, that didn't happen.    

6 minutes ago, NUance said:

Hypothetical.  Because SF didn't do what I outlined in the post above.  But if he had (hypothetical) would that mean it's okay for people to act that way today?  

Hypothetical, what if Frost is fired at the end of the season for chewing on campus/the sideline? Or leaves for another job like he did last season?

Is Gebbia wrong if his current coaches leave? Is Gebbia wrong if he had stayed?

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

um...

Walsh last two years at Stanford he went 4-7 then 3-7-1.   Call it what you want, but his golden boy image from his previous tenure had worn off after two losing seasons.    

1 minute ago, Oade said:

Hypothetical, what of Frost is fired at the end of the season for chewing on campus? Or leaves for another job like he did last season?

Is Gebbia wrong if his current coaches leave? Is Gebbia wrong if he had stayed?

Just curious.  Are you a junior high kid?  

I don't like the timing of the decision by Gebbia, but really, he didn't have much of a choice, with the competition coming down to the wire, a week before game one.  He had to make a tough decision, a decision that was probably made weeks, or months, ago.  If he made the cut and got the start, he'd stick it out this season.  If he didn't, he'd transfer and hopefully get lucky enough to play somewhere for three years.  

3 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It wouldn't be the first time a coaching staff used one young man to push another to greatness. I think the evidence that Gebbia was being used to push Martinez was right in front of us all along in the practice reports in things like, the staff pushing Martinez (and only him) to run the offense faster when he was already running it faster than anyone else. And this coaching tactic has been suggested by others in other threads and they were probably right.

That's a lot of leaps of faith just to justify some kid bailing out on his team.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, NUance said:

I appear bad because I think people should live up to their word and honor their commitments?  Because I think it's wrong to bail out on your teammates on the eve of the first game just because you don't win the starting position?  Well, I can't help what other people's opinions are.  Only my own.  

The commitment and word of a scholarship is, "I am going to compete on behalf of your program because I believe it is in my best interests for my own life to do so." From the school's side, the commitment is, "We are going to pay for your schooling and give you an opportunity for success because it will benefit our goals."

Both sides in this exchange have their own vested interests, and in the best case scenarios, those interests line up and both parties benefit. But that doesn't always happen. If either party's goals change, or the situation/circumstances change, then that agreement can and maybe should change as well. It's only commitment so far as it's a net positive, and that goes for the players as well as the school. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, NUance said:

Walsh last two years at Stanford he went 4-7 then 3-7-1.   Call it what you want, but his golden boy image from his previous tenure had worn off after two losing seasons.    

Do you not realize that Riley recruited Gebbia and that we went 4-8 last season? What point are you trying to make?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It wouldn't be the first time a coaching staff used one young man to push another to greatness. I think the evidence that Gebbia was being used to push Martinez was right in front of us all along in the practice reports in things like, the staff pushing Martinez (and only him) to run the offense faster when he was already running it faster than anyone else. And this coaching tactic has been suggested by others in other threads and they were probably right.

The coaching staff did want TG to push AM but they had no idea how AM would perform.  A year off from football, an injury with question marks, a freshman new to the huge stage...  Plenty of reasons he could have failed and in turn handed the reigns to TG.  You don't get half the reps at fall camp if the coaching staff doesn't give serious consideration to you being the guy.  

Look at all the knights in shining armor looking after the feelings and dreams of kids that aren't even on our team anymore.  :D

Gebbia is further behind the 8 ball now.  So good luck to him.

- If he's goes JUCO he has to immediately have a great season or risk not getting back to D1.  Which means he has to go to a JUCO in need of a QB and be playing this week or next.

- If D1, he has to find a team in need of a QB now or in the near future; but not one with too many good QB prospects since he still has to beat out the competition there and run the scout team like a boss.

- The teams need to run an offense similar to something he's learned that fits his skillset or he'll need to learn offense number 3 in 3 years.

- He'll be on the outside looking in wherever he goes until "the new team" accepts him.  Less of a problem at JUCO but then he'll be at 3 teams in 3 years and 4 coaching staffs in 4 years if he gets back to D1.

- He has to pad his stats in the last couple of years playing at a D1 team that probably won't be playing in a national championship or major conference.  Because most of those teams already have quality QB recruits and his chances of riding the pine there are greater then here.  Basically have years like the guys at Wyoming and UCLA did recently.

This was a gutsy move on his part.  To leave friends behind and try something different.  The pieces will have to fall into place to find a fit quickly and find a team good enough to get recognition for stats, but not good enough to be deep with 4* QB recruits that have been in their systems longer.

Like I said, good luck.  Hopefully, he and his parents have been mapping out the JUCOs and D1 programs that would fit the bill.

• Plus1 1

I fully get that he is doing what he feels is best for him.  And...I don't necessarily have a problem with him doing what's best for him if he really thinks this is the best route to go to be a starter somewhere and possibly play after college professionally.  There is only one QB that plays at a time with very little substitution.

This is just frustrating for the program.

Comments directly to Gebbia on social media calling him a quitter...etc. is stupid, irresponsible and immature.

I really wish Husker fans were better than that.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, NUance said:

Different situation.  The coach who recruited him, Bill Walsh, got fired.  And Frost didn't burn a scholarship when he left.  He transferred in January.  

He also didn't have to worry about losing a year of eligibility.  So yeah, different situations.

It was equally okay for both Frost and Gebbia to do what was best for them.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

The commitment and word of a scholarship is, "I am going to compete on behalf of your program because I believe it is in my best interests for my own life to do so." From the school's side, the commitment is, "We are going to pay for your schooling and give you an opportunity for success because it will benefit our goals."

Both sides in this exchange have their own vested interests, and in the best case scenarios, those interests line up and both parties benefit. But that doesn't always happen. If either party's goals change, or the situation/circumstances change, then that agreement can and maybe should change as well. It's only commitment so far as it's a net positive, and that goes for the players as well as the school. 

Well, I guess that's your version of what a commitment means.  

Gebbia could have left in January and everything would have been fine.  He could have found a new school to compete at, and NU could have found another QB for the roster.  But that's not what he did.  He chose to compete for the starting job at Nebraska.  And when he didn't get the starting job, he bailed out on his teammates.  

I'm sure Tristian Gebbia is talented, a hard worker and a real nice guy. But the way he handled this is just wrong in my way of thinking.   

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He also didn't have to worry about losing a year of eligibility.  So yeah, different situations.

It was equally okay for both Frost and Gebbia to do what was best for them.

Frost had to sit out for a year, right?  

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Anyone who thinks the Frost wanted AM to be the starter is right...of course he did.  He didn't want his prized recruit to come in and look like hot garbage in practice.  Some of you are taking crazy pills.

It’s far crazier to think Frost didn’t simply give the job to the player who performed best in practice. Why would he care if Gebbia won the job? They were both on his team.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia