Tristan Gebbia

13 hours ago, NUance said:

That's a selfish, self centered way of going about things, if you ask me.  But it seems like a lot of you in this thread see nothing wrong with it.  

I don't think there's any question that, if one were going to transfer, this is probably one of the more selfish ways to do so. He's leaving his team in a tough spot and thinking almost exclusively about himself.

Yeah, it sucks, if I'm honest.

But, he's looking out for #1 and his future. He's doing what he thinks is best. I know I can't personally criticize him too much because a) I don't know how I'd handle it and b) I very well may have considered doing the same if I were in his shoes.

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, bulletbait said:

This is a highly disingenuous statement, IMO. I don't think Gebbia would have gotten nearly as much flack as he has gotten if he transferred in the spring or if he'd have finished out the season and left afterward. 

The more apt comparison would be if Frost had taken the offer from Nebraska and bailed immediately. Instead, he and the staff worked their tails off to finish out the season with their team and help them win that bowl game.

Fact is that Gebbia left his team in a lurch for selfish reasons. That's his right, and I can't say it was the wrong decision for him, but I don't think it is right to pretend it is anything other than what it is.

Either it's OK to leave a commitment early or not.  If you're going to quibble about timing all your doing is spinning it fit your agenda.

Maybe it was OK for Gebbia to leave because he had basically been told he probably wasn't going to play much this year but we should really come down on Frost because he was vital to the entire program.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Either it's OK to leave a commitment early or not.  If you're going to quibble about timing all your doing is spinning it fit your agenda.

Maybe it was OK for Gebbia to leave because he had basically been told he probably wasn't going to play much this year but we should really come down on Frost because he was vital to the entire program.

I think to act as if timing of such things doesn't matter is wrong, and has nothing to do with "spinning" anything. 

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, NUance said:

Different situation.  The coach who recruited him, Bill Walsh, got fired.  And Frost didn't burn a scholarship when he left.  He transferred in January.  

But what if Scott Frost had done exactly what Tristian Gebbia is doing?  What if he had bailed out on the eve of Stanford's season because he didn't get named the starter?  Would those hypothetical actions by Scott Frost 20 years ago make it right to act like that today.  No, it wouldn't.  

So the coach who recruited Gebbia didn't get fired? And Gebbia didn't spend 9 months trying to fit into a system he isn't built for, and couldn't win a job in?

All of this pearl clutching about a scholarship is funny to me; as if every coach in the country doesn't have a wasted scholarship or 5 on their rosters. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, NUance said:

No, no he didn't.  Like Gebbia, Frost left after his coach got fired and the new coach came in with a different scheme.  Unlike Gebbia, Frost transferred in January.  He did not cost his team a scholarship, and then bail out when he didn't get named the starter. 

That's way different. If Tristan had left back in January we could have recruited another QB.  As it is, he bailed out and left us short handed because *he* wasn't named the starter.  That's a selfish, self centered way of going about things, if you ask me.  But it seems like a lot of you in this thread see nothing wrong with it.  

It's kind of different.  Gebbia was at least willing to compete, heh.

Why he left had to do with not winning the job.

When he left almost certainly has to do with trying to save a year if eligibility, and maybe 2 years of playing time.

If your mad at the timing, at least consider the reason behind the timing.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It's kind of different.  Gebbia was at least willing to compete, heh.

Why he left had to do with not winning the job.

When he left almost certainly has to do with trying to save a year if eligibility, and maybe 2 years of playing time.

If your mad at the timing, at least consider the reason behind the timing.

I'm glad he was willing to compete.  But I wish he wouldn''t have sold everyone out when he missed winning the starting job by a hair's breadth.  

As for timing, back in January if the staff knew he was going bail out if he didn't win the starting job, do you think they would have encouraged him to stay?  Would anyone on the team have wanted him to stay if he had told them he'd bail if he didn't get the nod to start?  Would the fans have wanted him to stay?  

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Frost said the QBs knew on Saturday and Gebbia took it well at first. If the person isn’t totally full of crap maybe Gebbia’s upset they didn’t tell the team. Mike Williams found out on Twitter. But for the team I don’t see why it should be announced anymore than any other position especially if you claim it’s a team game.

They were speaking to Martinez minutes after their bowl game before they even announced that the staff was coming to Lincoln. When he committed, it was rumored he would start. Good on Gebbia for sticking it out while he did, but Martinez has been their guy the entire time and it would have taken a nearly perfect camp to change that

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia