Tristan Gebbia

When this news broke I was having a conversation that I thought Gebbia reminded me of Browning at Washington.  So no surprise he goes OSU where the former Washington coordinator is now the head man.  Plus MR connections helped too.  I wish Frost could have kept both QB's in the fold but it's now time to roll with who we got!

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

"Starting Friday, Riley will stand near OSU's practice field every day during preseason camp. He'll serve the Beavers' program as a consultant, with a job description as long as a commercial lease. What Riley cannot do is coach, however. He'll be at practice to observe, while offering thoughts to coach Jonathan Smith and his staff."

"Riley says he will be with the Beavers through the end of the season, then head to San Antonio to coach its AAF team."

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2018/08/mike_riley_at_peace_with_decis.html

I read that article some time ago.  I've also been watching footage of OSU's practices and haven't seen Mike in any of them.  I'm not saying he's not there because I can't say that definitively, but I haven't seen him and I've been looking.

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

"Starting Friday, Riley will stand near OSU's practice field every day during preseason camp. He'll serve the Beavers' program as a consultant, with a job description as long as a commercial lease. What Riley cannot do is coach, however. He'll be at practice to observe, while offering thoughts to coach Jonathan Smith and his staff."

"Riley says he will be with the Beavers through the end of the season, then head to San Antonio to coach its AAF team."

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2018/08/mike_riley_at_peace_with_decis.html

Maybe he will suggest a conditioning program. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. 

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, FTW said:

Just goes to show players commit to coaches more than anything. I think coach Frost wants to change that. He wants guys committing to the university of Nebraska. To this state. To the people.

Realistically, the only people who probably tick all of your boxes are Nebraska kids. We can’t win National Championships (or even Big 10 Championships) without good recruits from across the country. They will come here (and STAY here) if they believe Nebraska gives them an EDGE, which is one reason Frost talks up Duval as Best In The Field. It is why NU brought back Epley. The NU system builds the best athlete you can be. We’ll showcase you in a media-savvy league that has its own network.

However, quarterbacks who think they’ve got it are going to transfer. It is part of the landscape today. So if he’s not our starter, our backup QB, from now on, is quite likely to be a Nebraska kid, like Vedral or Masker, or a rare walk-on who is a pleasant surprise like Bunch. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't think anyone needs to worry about MR doing any coaching.

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, MountainMan said:

People mocking this move likely don’t realize Oregon St’s new coach is the former Offensive coordinator for UW under  Chris Petersen and was his qb coach at Boise before that. 

And that Mike Riley isn’t on staff there

But hey. 

That's interesting.  I didn't realize that.  It seems like he's a good fit for that offense, from what I've seen of Boise and Washington.

Looking over the depth chart it looks like he has a really good chance of starting next year as well. 

As far as plan Bs go, he could have done a he'll of a lot worse.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Realistically, the only people who probably tick all of your boxes are Nebraska kids. We can’t win National Championships (or even Big 10 Championships) without good recruits from across the country. They will come here (and STAY here) if they believe Nebraska gives them an EDGE, which is one reason Frost talks up Duval as Best In The Field. It is why NU brought back Epley. The NU system builds the best athlete you can be. We’ll showcase you in a media-savvy league that has its own network.

However, quarterbacks who think they’ve got it are going to transfer. It is part of the landscape today. So if he’s not our starter, our backup QB, from now on, is quite likely to be a Nebraska kid, like Vedral or Masker, or a rare walk-on who is a pleasant surprise like Bunch. 

I don't think this is true. With the guys we are recruiting I think they are likely to stay on campus as a backup (McCaffrey, Smothers) Gebbia is a different case because he wasn't recruited by Frost and this isn't an ideal offensive system for him. Moving forward I still expect to see some transfers from the position but I also expect guys to stay as backups and potentially play other positions while they are waiting (ie McCaffrey could line up at wideout) 

To further what Nebfanatic said, I think Gebbia is the exception not the rule because of the fact that he was pretty much set to be the backup for his entire career due to he and Martinez being in the same class. It's not very common for two QB's of the caliber we had to be in the same class. So I think with a QB that is a year or two younger, the potential to stay and be backup and wait your turn, knowing that your not going to forever be the backup will keep them around.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Landlord said:

To save him a year of eligibility...

Frost, like any coach, is a person that a player has a personal and close relationship with. The university is an institution. The state is an institution. The people (fans) are people, but they're mostly faceless, nameless people.

Players should commit to coaches. Coaches are the people and the factor that really make the difference for them. Committing to the university, the state, or the fans would be fairly stupid. Those things don't matter nearly as much. Not to mention if Frost were to be fired or leave in the future, I guarantee a lot of recruits would decommit and a lot of players would transfer. As they probably should.

Then we agree to disagree. I think committing to a program is more important than any one coach. That is why they're teaching "team before me." When we rattled off championships, kids grew up here dreaming to play for Nebraska not just for Coach Osborne but for the state. That passion died a long time ago. It'll come back again. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Even guys across state lines wanted to play for NEBRASKA back in those days. They wanted to be part of that winning tradition. To re-establish that kind of presence you have to win. You have to compete with the Wisconsin's the Ohio States the Michigan's then kids will want to come here. They don't want to come here if we're getting drubbed 62-3 no matter the coach.

Now that we've got "our guy" winning is the only thing that matters from here on out in MY book. I'm not saying Frost will go 6-6 his first year or second year but it's no different than Mike Riley finishing 6-7. Winning gets you attention. All the coach speak is smoke and mirrors. All the tempering expectations is BS. Go out and prove it.

Win and kids will want to come play for this state and the people. Of course having a good coach is Paramount to success but I think all across the board when you're the 4th winningest CFB program of all-time, you have to sell that to recruits.

We're in the same echelon as Michigan and Ohio State. You have to get kids that will work hard, out work their opponents and be proud to represent UNL, the fanbase and the state. That to me is far more important than who the coach is. Go ask Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley how well it worked out for them to have kids commit to them as coaches versus the program itself. You stick to that logic it'll get you fired in 3 or 4 years. Frost's biggest task is to re-establish a winning tradition and it'll be harder than it was in the Big 8 or Big 12 but I think he is capable of doing it.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

To further what Nebfanatic said, I think Gebbia is the exception not the rule because of the fact that he was pretty much set to be the backup for his entire career due to he and Martinez being in the same class. It's not very common for two QB's of the caliber we had to be in the same class. So I think with a QB that is a year or two younger, the potential to stay and be backup and wait your turn, knowing that your not going to forever be the backup will keep them around.

Completely agree. Very different mindset and outlook knowing you will eventually get a shot when the #1 is a year/class ahead of you versus the #1 being in your same class.

12 hours ago, FTW said:

Just goes to show players commit to coaches more than anything. I think coach Frost wants to change that. He wants guys committing to the university of Nebraska. To this state. To the people.

When recruits visit and there's 85k Husker fans and we treat them like one of our own, its a unique experience and can tip the scale in our favor. Frost isn't making it about him. I find that to be quite the contrast compared to the rest of the B1G head coaches. 

Not sure if you heard but we have a new coach named Scott Frost and attendance will be 90K+

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia