Tristan Gebbia

15 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

If I had to hazard a guess, I would bet Mr. Nice Guy was on the phone to somebody after the depth chart was released Sunday morning.

Well if he did, that's tampering unless Tristan called them.

13 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Why do you say that?

I ask because I think it's equally plausible that as soon as he made the decision to leave they (Tristan and his dad) went to work on finding a new home asap. With Tristan's talent level he probably had people blowing up his phone as soon as it was announced he didn't show for practice.

If it was planned out ahead of time, then yeah...unfortunate for sure if that's the case.

That's what the HOL guys are hinting at.

38 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Considering every other position has been said to be a rotation, no, they aren't in the same position.

Is the QB different? Sure. He's the star of the team. But that comes with another responsibility. 

One of the differences is that QBs are in a better position to get hurt. That's why the second string QB is often the second most important player on the team. 

Every player told he's in "rotation" knows he will have to become the better of the two players if he wants to extend his playing career. You either wait for an injury, or outplay him in practice. Not so different from the back-up QB.

When you leave the college, your team and your teammates the moment the depth chart is revealed, you literally believe you are better than this, and it's not a great message.  A WR, RB, DB or god-forbid an interior lineman would be considered a huge primadonna if he bolted at the first depth chart.

And yeah, there's usually a father behind these decisions. 

Maybe Tristan Gebbia is that special. We'll see. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is the QB different? Sure. He's the star of the team. But that comes with another responsibility. 

One of the differences is that QBs are in a better position to get hurt. That's why the second string QB is often the second most important player on the team. 

Every player told he's in "rotation" knows he will have to become the better of the two players if he wants to extend his playing career. You either wait for an injury, or outplay him in practice. Not so different from the back-up QB.

When you leave the college, your team and your teammates the moment the depth chart is revealed, you literally believe you are better than this, and it's not a great message.  A WR, RB, DB or god-forbid an interior lineman would be considered a huge primadonna if he bolted at the first depth chart.

And yeah, there's usually a father behind these decisions. 

Maybe Tristan Gebbia is that special. We'll see. 

I don't think QB is more likely to get hurt than say a lineman. Tristan was not going to steal the job back from Martinez. Martinez has physical tools Gebbia can't match and that matters in this offense. He is headed to an offense more suited to his skillset. If a guy at another position decided to move on because they saw their skills weren't ideal with this program and they didn't habe much of a future here I wouldn't blame them. It is what it is. You are upset the backup qb is leaving. Oregon State fans are excited about a new qb prospect. Its all perspective.

2 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I understand what you're trying to get at, and like most on here I don't like what Gebbia did, but we have no idea if he planned on leaving if not being named starter before Saturday or not. But we also don't know who/what else may have pushed him to leave, hell we dont know that if Gebbia would have stayed he would have turned bitter and became a cancer or not. There is so many variables and we no virtually nothing short of Martinez got the nod and Gebbia made the decision to transfer. We gotta take this at face value, say damned the luck, move on to Saturday, and watch our Husker beat the hell out of the Zips

I agree, we have to treat it no different than a career ending injury.

Verdral and Neal followed Frost to NU. And I think a couple of players follow Pelini to Youngstown.

I'm sure it happens all the time, and rightfully so, so unless something really shady took place then I'm not sure I care. But there are plenty of examples where students followed coaches to other programs without anything shady having taken place. I'll give them all the benefit of the doubt on this.

• Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, Oade said:

Verdral and Neal followed Frost to NU. And I think a couple of players follow Pelini to Youngstown.

I'm sure it happens all the time, and rightfully so, so unless something really shady took place then I'm not sure I care. But there are plenty of examples where students followed coaches to other programs without anything shady having taken place. I'll give them all the benefit of the doubt on this.

It would only be shady because Nebraska is still paying MR, and maybe there is something in the contract prohibiting M from talking to Husker players. Similar to a non-compeat clause for the rest of us.

24 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

It would only be shady because Nebraska is still paying MR, and maybe there is something in the contract prohibiting M from talking to Husker players. Similar to a non-compeat clause for the rest of us.

That could be, but even then, that's just one of those things that sort of makes me scratch my head - at least as it would apply here.... If Gebbia wants to be there and if OSU wants him, then I don't see why Riley's past with NU should stand in the way of it.

15 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

A lot of speculating. First is that YG will ever develope into an NFL quarterback-most dont. 

Second, do we know that MR recruited him away?  It seems a little suspicious to be random, but how far should we fight it? It seems a little petty for a storied program like ours to turn into a legal battle. 

Timing sucked but only because Frost could have recruited a better suited kid for his program and Bunch could have gotten-well a bunch- more reps in practice. Not saying TG doesn’t have skills, but maybe not the right skills. Maybe Bunch has a more appropriate skill set for the Frost offense and was not that far behind?  This is speculation too. 

Also a specualtory question, but who in the heck would want to be the 2nd string QB on a team in which your skill set doesn’t match the offensive scheme, with a suspect offense line, while playing the most difficult schedule in the country? I think if your worried about your NFL career,  the potential to look bad (even if it’s not) is great. PAC-10, Sunbelt, a few others, are probably  more appropriate 

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

So it would be impossible to prove, and the negative publicity probably isn't worth the money.

There'd be absolutely no benefit to Nebraska in any way.  I doubt anyone would want a backup quarterback who doesn't want to be on the team and it sure wouldn't be great for the locker room and even if there was any sort of impropriety how would you prove and pursue that legally? and you're right it'd look petty at the very least.

It is what it is and it's better for all parties to move on.  Best of luck to the young man, he can do whatever he feels is right for him.  Who here should really care?, its not like Nebraska is some jilted lover but some fans are acting like this is some huge betrayal.  It's not, it's yet another way the college game is reflecting the pros with transfer free agency, especially for quarterbacks.  Lets get this season started already.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia