QB options

22 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It seems pretty ify to take a CB whose relatively new to the team that you really needed in a thin position, and draft him over to be QB with a dozen practices.   Not gonna work.

At a minimum you need an offensive player who atleast is very familiar with most of the offense.  Frankly it will be nothing short of a disaster for the season if we lose AM and Bunch.

The biggest risk, at this point, is the possibility of a cheap shot taken on AM at any time.   He goes out and we're at risk of going 0-12 this fall.   

I remember TM getting body slammed, and no Huskers responded. I also remember wondering how Crouch's head stayed on during the worst facemask violation I have ever sees (no flag). While no a QB, I recall Rex B. getting his head purposely twisted at the bottom of a pile. TM's teammates need to be on the lookout and take care of him. If a fight breaks out, TM needs to run for the sideline. None of us will call him a coward.

Indeed these things happen.  I recall numerous sorts of 'dirty' hits.  Missouri hit cheaply one of our players on an extra point attempt as I recall.  It was fairly obvious and not sure any penalty called.   But a penalty would be nothing much if Akron were to take out AM in the first quarter, they would legitimately have a shot to win Saturday.   I have been saying forever it seems that no Husker team should be fielded any fall without 4 QBs ready and able to run the offense.  Things happen whether on purpose or by bad luck, etc.  Family emergency, criminal acts, bad grades, illness, false rape accusations, etc etc etc.  There are many positions where desperate measures may 'work' somewhat, but QB is NOT one of them, especially in an offense that is as complicated and QB dependent as this one.   I am very worried that this season, which needed to atleast show promise for the future, could unravel and implode and all the great positive momentum and forward looks lost, perhaps forever.   This season is critical for Frost and this team to show Nebraska really is going to come back and arise from the dead.   

I believe players have the legal right to up and quit and leave any time they may feel like it, for whatever reason good or bad.  But there is also honor and loyalty and commitment by the teammates to each other and to the school which has given them a rare and once in a lifetime opportunity to reach for their dreams.  Schools offer scholarships worth $100,000 or more that are irrevocable while the player is free to walk away for another 'better' offer elsewhere.   This is NOT fair or balanced in my view.  There should be the opportunity to transfer, perhaps after the Feb signing day and before the end of second semester, for example.  

As for Frost leaving Stanford, I do believe, if memory serves me, that Walsh asked Frost to move to safety from QB.   This is quite a contrast to Gebbia ending up fall camp as a close second string, as a freshman, vs. Frost as a would be junior.  If Osborne suggested Scott stay at Stanford, I do believe Tom was being honest in suggesting Scott would be better off sticking to his commitment to Stanford and certainly was not being selfish.   I am glad Scott made the right choice, both going to Stanford and then coming to NU, and I suspect he handled it with candid, honest and open and the best of intentions.   We don't know the details on Gebbia's last few days but something was certainly not handled the best by perhaps all parties concerned.   I hope for the Huskers and Gebbias, it all works out for the best for all.  There are better ways to do things.   

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Indeed these things happen.  I recall numerous sorts of 'dirty' hits.  Missouri hit cheaply one of our players on an extra point attempt as I recall.  It was fairly obvious and not sure any penalty called.   But a penalty would be nothing much if Akron were to take out AM in the first quarter, they would legitimately have a shot to win Saturday.   I have been saying forever it seems that no Husker team should be fielded any fall without 4 QBs ready and able to run the offense.  Things happen whether on purpose or by bad luck, etc.  Family emergency, criminal acts, bad grades, illness, false rape accusations, etc etc etc.  There are many positions where desperate measures may 'work' somewhat, but QB is NOT one of them, especially in an offense that is as complicated and QB dependent as this one.   I am very worried that this season, which needed to atleast show promise for the future, could unravel and implode and all the great positive momentum and forward looks lost, perhaps forever.   This season is critical for Frost and this team to show Nebraska really is going to come back and arise from the dead.   

I believe players have the legal right to up and quit and leave any time they may feel like it, for whatever reason good or bad.  But there is also honor and loyalty and commitment by the teammates to each other and to the school which has given them a rare and once in a lifetime opportunity to reach for their dreams.  Schools offer scholarships worth $100,000 or more that are irrevocable while the player is free to walk away for another 'better' offer elsewhere.   This is NOT fair or balanced in my view.  There should be the opportunity to transfer, perhaps after the Feb signing day and before the end of second semester, for example.  

As for Frost leaving Stanford, I do believe, if memory serves me, that Walsh asked Frost to move to safety from QB.   This is quite a contrast to Gebbia ending up fall camp as a close second string, as a freshman, vs. Frost as a would be junior.  If Osborne suggested Scott stay at Stanford, I do believe Tom was being honest in suggesting Scott would be better off sticking to his commitment to Stanford and certainly was not being selfish.   I am glad Scott made the right choice, both going to Stanford and then coming to NU, and I suspect he handled it with candid, honest and open and the best of intentions.   We don't know the details on Gebbia's last few days but something was certainly not handled the best by perhaps all parties concerned.   I hope for the Huskers and Gebbias, it all works out for the best for all.  There are better ways to do things.   

Thank you.  So much this.  Scott was ask to move positions....not relegated to a back up roll.  The story is out there that TO's honesty is what made Frost's decision to return home.  Realizing TO wanted what was best for Frost and not best for TO.

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, lo country said:

Thank you.  So much this.  Scott was ask to move positions....not relegated to a back up roll.  The story is out there that TO's honesty is what made Frost's decision to return home.  Realizing TO wanted what was best for Frost and not best for TO.

I think this is a bit of revisionist history.  Frost didn't beat out the starter which is why he wasn't QB.  Walsh acknowledged that Frost was quite simply too good of an athlete to have riding the pine which is why he played safety.  Let's not kid ourselves here.  Frost doesn't come back to NU had Bill Walsh stayed at Stanford.  Instead, Walsh quit at Stanford after the 94' season.  When Walsh quit, Frost chose to transfer from Stanford. 

26 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I think this is a bit of revisionist history.  Frost didn't beat out the starter which is why he wasn't QB.  Walsh acknowledged that Frost was quite simply too good of an athlete to have riding the pine which is why he played safety.  Let's not kid ourselves here.  Frost doesn't come back to NU had Bill Walsh stayed at Stanford.  Instead, Walsh quit at Stanford after the 94' season.  When Walsh quit, Frost chose to transfer from Stanford. 

This from a recent article.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/the-story-of-scott-frost-s-love-hate-relationship-with/article_d23a0bb0-ba7f-11e7-85a1-07e004b8e998.html