*** 2021 Recruiting ***

Turning the page....

I've tried to keep track of guys who have listed us in a Top X list or visited already.  I'm sure there are probably a couple I've missed.

Priority:

NT - We'll see where some of the current young guys end up playing.  But a true NT would be really handy in this class.

TE - Didn't take one in 2020 so we'll need to make up for that.

OL - We were light in 2020 (after being heavy in 2019).  Off to a really good start here.

QB - The odds would tell you that it's unlikely both McCaffrey and Smothers graduate here.  Have to have one every class.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - Peter Costelli
RB - 1-2 - Javion HuntCornelius ShawKelly Loiseau
WR - 2-3 - Brody BrechtTrevonte RuckerTroy StellatoJaylin NoelBrashard SmithRomello Brinson
TE - 1-2 - AJ RollinsThomas Fidone
OT - 2-3 - TEDDY PROCHAZKA, Trey Zuhn
OG/C - 2 - HENRY LUTOVSKY

NT - 1-2 - Griffin LiddleMichael Mokofisi
DE - 2-3 - R.J. SORENSENRyan Keeler, Jeffrey BowieOmarion Fa'amoeCade Denhoff
ILB - 2 - RANDOLPH KPAIJaden HarrellChristopher Paul

OLB - 2-3 - TJ Bollers, Travion Ford, Seth MalcomLandon JacksonDylan BrooksJeremiah WilliamsTerrence LewisNaquan BrownDemeioun Robinson

CB - 1-2 - Avante Dickerson
S - 1-2 - Bryce Stephens

ATH - Denzel BurkeShawn HardyGabe Stephens

Early enrollees: Prochazka, Kpai

Edited by Mavric
Updated
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Turning the page....

I've tried to keep track of guys who have listed us in a Top X list or visited already.  I'm sure there are probably a couple I've missed.

Priority:

NT - We'll see where some of the current young guys end up playing.  But a true NT would be really handy in this class.

OL - We were light in 2020 (after being heavy in 2019).  Off to a really good start here.

QB - The odds would tell you that it's unlikely both McCaffrey and Smothers graduate here.  Have to have one every class.

QB - Peter CostelliSantino Marucci
RB - Javion HuntCornelius ShawKelly Loiseau
WR - Brody BrechtTrevonte RuckerTroy StellatoJaylin Noel
TE - AJ RollinsThomas Fidone
OT - TEDDY PROCHAZKA, Trey Zuhn
OG/C - HENRY LUTOVSKY

NT - Griffin LiddleMichael Mokofisi
DE - R.J. SORENSENRyan Keeler, Jeffrey BowieOmarion Fa'amoeCade Denhoff
ILB - Jaden HarrellChristopher Paul

OLB - TJ Bollers, Travion Ford, Seth MalcomLandon JacksonDylan BrooksRandolph KpaiDeontae Lawson

CB - Avante Dickerson
S - Bryce Stephens

Hope to see Terrence Lewis on this list as the 2021 class moves forward. 

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

Turning the page....

Priority:

QB - Peter CostelliSantino Marucci
RB - Javion HuntCornelius ShawKelly Loiseau
WR - Brody BrechtTrevonte RuckerTroy StellatoJaylin Noel
TE - AJ RollinsThomas Fidone
OT - TEDDY PROCHAZKA, Trey Zuhn
OG/C - HENRY LUTOVSKY

NT - Griffin LiddleMichael Mokofisi
DE - R.J. SORENSENRyan Keeler, Jeffrey BowieOmarion Fa'amoeCade Denhoff
ILB - Jaden HarrellChristopher Paul

OLB - TJ Bollers, Travion Ford, Seth MalcomLandon JacksonDylan BrooksRandolph KpaiDeontae Lawson

CB - Avante Dickerson
S - Bryce Stephens

Keagan Johnson probably needs to be under the athlete list.

• Plus1 1

I think this might be only the second or third time I've opened this thread.  I'm always focused on the current class and really don't have much interest in something 18 months down the road.  Thanks for everyone keeping track of this from the start.

It also always amazes me how far in the future the staff has to be working on recruiting.

I think the focus of the 2021 class will be DB's,OL and LB's with 19 the initial target.  (It's all fluid of course.)

Db's  The target for the DB group should be 15.   We have 14 after this signing class and have 4 that will graduate.  I also think one of the DB's possible could rotate down to an OLB spot so I think the number to recruit should be 5-6.

OL's  I think we need 4.  We have 2 so we are in good shape there. 

We lose Honas and Miller so we need at least 2 ILB.   We lose Domann and we are short a coverage LB so would like to see 2 cover OLB's.   Kind of depends if we move anyone down from safety. 

I think the rest are mostly one-offs at different spots like QB,RB,WR,DL....although we might do 2 at TE as we have 3TE's as upcoming Jr's and only Hickman as an underclassmen.

• Fire 1
24 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I think the focus of the 2021 class will be DB's,OL and LB's with 19 the initial target.  (It's all fluid of course.)

Db's  The target for the DB group should be 15.   We have 14 after this signing class and have 4 that will graduate.  I also think one of the DB's possible could rotate down to an OLB spot so I think the number to recruit should be 5-6.

OL's  I think we need 4.  We have 2 so we are in good shape there. 

We lose Honas and Miller so we need at least 2 ILB.   We lose Domann and we are short a coverage LB so would like to see 2 cover OLB's.   Kind of depends if we move anyone down from safety. 

I think the rest are mostly one-offs at different spots like QB,RB,WR,DL....although we might do 2 at TE as we have 3TE's as upcoming Jr's and only Hickman as an underclassmen.

The number of recruits in Frost's classes have been 22, 27 and 22 (not finished yet).  At least the last two have started off, in this stage of the cycle, estimating that the number of recruits was lower than what we started with.  So, the initial number might be 19, but I'm betting that it will end up somewhere around 22-25 by the time it's done.

I would say that next year, we need 5 O line and I'll guarantee you we have more than one WR and DL in the class.

As for the cover LBs, I really wouldn't necessarily look at what we are losing as seniors.  We need to be looking at what's in the Freshman and Sophomore classes.  Those are classes the 2021 class will be playing with mostly. I believe we have some good cover LBs in those classes.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The number of recruits in Frost's classes have been 22, 27 and 22 (not finished yet).  At least the last two have started off, in this stage of the cycle, estimating that the number of recruits was lower than what we started with.  So, the initial number might be 19, but I'm betting that it will end up somewhere around 22-25 by the time it's done.

I would say that next year, we need 5 O line and I'll guarantee you we have more than one WR and DL in the class.

As for the cover LBs, I really wouldn't necessarily look at what we are losing as seniors.  We need to be looking at what's in the Freshman and Sophomore classes.  Those are classes the 2021 class will be playing with mostly. I believe we have some good cover LBs in those classes.

If we can land a Henrich/Greene type player every year at LB. I think our defense can be very good. Our guys this year were so slow.

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You may be right and history certainly confirms your thinking but to play devil's advocate I am wondering if this year's number isn't going to move much.   I can think of a couple of reasons to support that line of thinking. 

1)   They had a bunch countbacks for 2019 and they filled the limit of 25 so they can't count back anyone in 2020.   So the official number they have is set at 24 (which includes the xfer TE)   For 2021 (this coming class) they have 1 possible count back as they are at 24 for this year.   I think that's right?   Countbacks can be confusing.  

2)   I believe they are at 88 right now with a blueshirt promised for the fall.   That means they are basically at 89 if you look at next fall.   That means they will need to shed at least 4.  I believe there are 16 Sr's.   I have guessed that Gaylord gets a hardship year.  I looked at the roster and tried to identify guys that haven't played or guys that redshirted and are Sr's that havent played and may just move on.  I think I only see 4 or 5?

3)  Typically when you look at other schools and new coaches you will see 2 or 3 big classes to start but eventually you will see a smaller class because you are getting to the classes recruited by the coach, that fit the system and have a better relationship and stronger buy-in.  That could be this class.  

4)  When coaches have their players in that they recruited and they have been developing and the walk-on program is in full swing than coaches can be more choosey.   They won't have a bunch of holes to fill where they throw a large number of new recruits at it.   We did that this year but I think it will be less next year.

5)  The upcoming Jr class is a big class.  So would be nice to have a full compliment of options (counting back option)  for that class plus the upcoming So class behind it  is really small.  10!  This is the transition class and you could argue that is the class that is destined to be small but for arguments sake I will stick with the stand that our number for 2021 might not move much.

So to summarize it certainly is fluid and you may be right, actually your probably right but I still will throw out the notion that it will be 19 and may only vary by 1 or 2. 

1 hour ago, flatwaterfan said:

with a blueshirt promised for the fall.   That means they are basically at 89 if you look at next fall.   That means they will need to shed at least 4.

Giffords blueshirt counts towards the 2021 scholarship limit, not this years. So, we don't have to lose a player to account for him he's ineligible to play this year.