*** 2021 Recruiting ***

Priority:

NT - We'll see where some of the current young guys end up playing.  But a true NT would be really handy in this class.

TE - Didn't take one in 2020 so we'll need to make up for that.

OL - We were light in 2020 (after being heavy in 2019).  Off to a really good start here.

QB - The odds would tell you that it's unlikely both McCaffrey and Smothers graduate here.  Have to have one every class.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - Peter Costelli
RB - 1-2 - Javion HuntCornelius ShawKelly LoiseauDevin NealCaleb Berry
WR - 2-3 - Brody BrechtTrevonte RuckerTroy StellatoJaylin NoelBrashard SmithRomello BrinsonKeagan JohnsonJaylin NoelJace WilliamsChristian Leary
TE - 1-2 - AJ RollinsThomas FidoneMiles Campbell
OT - 2-3 - TEDDY PROCHAZKA, Trey Zuhn
OG/C - 2 - HENRY LUTOVSKY

NT - 1-2 - Griffin LiddleMichael Mokofisi
DE - 2-3 - Ryan Keeler, Omarion Fa'amoeCade DenhoffDerek WilkinsTobechi OkoliRu'Quan BuckleyKeeshawn Silver
ILB - 2 - RANDOLPH KPAIJaden HarrellChristopher PaulSeth Malcom

OLB - 2-3 - TJ Bollers, Travion Ford, Landon JacksonDylan BrooksJeremiah WilliamsTerrence LewisNaquan BrownDemeioun RobinsonDanny StutsmanTyler McLaurin

CB - 1-2 - Avante DickersonKaleb HigginsJimmy Wyrick
S - 1-2 - Bryce Stephens

ATH - Denzel BurkeShawn HardyGabe Stephens

Early enrollees: Prochazka, Kpai

Edited by Mavric
Updated

22 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Need some big wins to seal the deals. 

This season is HUGE.  If we perform like we have so far under Frost, we won't be getting many of these guys.  If we could just play solid Bo Pelini level football , we could start getting recruiting classes in the top 10-15 with this staff.

Yup.  Winning some games will really be fuel for the fire.   Likewise when a couple more top rated guys commit then I think the flood gates may open for this coming class.  If we can get some wins early then the season could finish a bit better than some think.  There will be one or two of those perceived tough opponents fall down (they always seem to) and the door maybe opened if the Huskers will just step thru.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yup.  Winning some games will really be fuel for the fire.   Likewise when a couple more top rated guys commit then I think the flood gates may open for this coming class.  If we can get some wins early then the season could finish a bit better than some think.  There will be one or two of those perceived tough opponents fall down (they always seem to) and the door maybe opened if the Huskers will just step thru.  

I don't see getting wins early as anything key to the season.  Personally, I won't be surprised to see us go 6-1 in the first 7 games ... realistically, I see us as a 5-2 team at that point.  At the end of the season, I don't see a guaranteed "win" nor one that we "should" win.  I think we can win against Iowa and Minny ... gonna say we win one of those.  Thus, in the last five games we win 1 and lose 4 at best with the worst being all of them.  It's very realistic to assume 7-5 at best, 5-7 as a possible worst and 6-6 as the prediction [thank God for an easy beginning to the schedule].  

Thus, I don't see any amount of breakthrough which makes us appear as the up and coming team to these higher end recruits.

So, @84HuskerLaw, when you say, "winning some games", are you talking about going 8-4 or 9-3 and what are these games?  For me, I don't see us winning any type of game where it is an upset so I don't perceive us doing anything "special" that merits a recruit getting his eyes opened.  Sure, we could pull off an upset ... but for me, I see us getting upset in more games than us being in a position to pull off an upset.

Your input?

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

I don't see getting wins early as anything key to the season.  Personally, I won't be surprised to see us go 6-1 in the first 7 games ... realistically, I see us as a 5-2 team at that point.  At the end of the season, I don't see a guaranteed "win" nor one that we "should" win.  I think we can win against Iowa and Minny ... gonna say we win one of those.  Thus, in the last five games we win 1 and lose 4 at best with the worst being all of them.  It's very realistic to assume 7-5 at best, 5-7 as a possible worst and 6-6 as the prediction [thank God for an easy beginning to the schedule].  

Thus, I don't see any amount of breakthrough which makes us appear as the up and coming team to these higher end recruits.

So, @84HuskerLaw, when you say, "winning some games", are you talking about going 8-4 or 9-3 and what are these games?  For me, I don't see us winning any type of game where it is an upset so I don't perceive us doing anything "special" that merits a recruit getting his eyes opened.  Sure, we could pull off an upset ... but for me, I see us getting upset in more games than us being in a position to pull off an upset.

Your input?

I'm not @84HuskerLaw, but Cincinnati is a team we would have easily lost to last year, and a few of our other early games are decent teams.  If we start 6-1 or 7-0 that would show significant improvement over last year.  And if we really improve the way we should, then Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State don't look so daunting.  The fact we are scared of 3 of those teams is a result of how aweful we have been.  Sure they are solid teams, but there is no reason we shouldn't have a coinflip against Iowa or Minnesota, and a chance against Wisconsin and Penn State.  

If we start the season looking good, then there is a great chance we can win 2 or 3 of our last 5 games.  If your a decent team, there is only 1 team in this conference that you can't beat.  The rest are dog fights.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

y'all predicting a 6-1 or better start need to give me the contact info for your supplier

or get committed

There’s a difference between predicting it and thinking it’s possible. 

I think it’s very possible we start 6-1 or 7-0. Will we?  :dunno

who do you see in those first 7 games that is a definite loss?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There’s a difference between predicting it and thinking it’s possible. 

I think it’s very possible we start 6-1 or 7-0. Will we?  :dunno

who do you see in those first 7 games that is a definite loss?

This. Its definitely possible but there are enough questions to debate if it's likely or not.

24 minutes ago, Comish said:

Not a stretch to say it all hinges on Purdue September 5th....

I won't go that far but if anyone expects better than 5-2 pre-Ohio State, Purdue is a strong indicator. Granted games against Cincinnati, NW and Illinois have my attention. My hope is that Nebraska is at least 3-1 going into NW, relatively healthy and improving on a weekly basis. We'll see if it happens.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If we lose to Purdue, that’s one loss...where is the other definite loss?

I'm saying with the history of the fragile mental state of the last few years, a loss to start the season AND the conference could resurrect ghosts of Colorado 2019.

24 minutes ago, Comish said:

I'm saying with the history of the fragile mental state of the last few years, a loss to start the season AND the conference could resurrect ghosts of Colorado 2019.

My original post was responding to some who was claiming a 6-1 start is crazy to think about. 

My question is then, what games are unwinnable?  I think we have the ability to win each one of our first 7 games, so it’s not so crazy to think we could start 6-1. 

Your point is well taken though. How the team reacts to adversity early in the year will be big. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My original post was responding to some who was claiming a 6-1 start is crazy to think about. 

My question is then, what games are unwinnable?  I think we have the ability to win each one of our first 7 games, so it’s not so crazy to think we could start 6-1. 

Your point is well taken though. How the team reacts to adversity early in the year will be big. 

I agree with all that and it was my bad that my response was not cogent to your original post.