*** 2021 Recruiting ***

I don't get the concern about the D-Line recruiting.  It's not a priority this year because right now they have 12 on scholarship and only 1 Sr, which means they will be sitting on 11 scholies at the DL spot for next year.  11 is your target number for D-line.   Now I don't mind them recruiting 1 DL guy if they can get a difference maker but 12 is the most you want to have.  It might also be smart to get 1 this cycle because the JR class has 6 DL in it and that's a lot to recruit in one cycle.  Trouble is we are already overallocated at LB and overstocking at 1 position leaves a shortage at another so that's why you want to remain in the 10-12 range at DL if you can help it and not get too crazy. 

It's clear they are trying to fix the LB spot and that's why they loaded up.   I think some existing players are on notice. 

I think another position that they will hit hard is DB's.  I think we are down to 13 there and we have 3 sr's so we need to get  5 to hit the target number of 15.    Getting 4 would be acceptable if you want to try and get your numbers spread out over time.  

• Plus1 1

What I have seen so far for this recruiting class. These are my takes on top prospects/guys we should go after. Feel free to add to the discussion as recruiting is fluid and I easily could have overlooked someone.

Top prospect are listed First and after that you can move them around on who is next. 

Offense

Overall #1 Thomas Fidone

QB- we got our guy and we would welcome a PWO to the guy in Alabama. If not, we are done at this position. 

Prospect we are after: Jackson Burkhalter

RB- We have depth and can be selective here. I believe we take one True RB and one Duck R type guy. 

Unsure on the Prospects so this is more of a guess: Cornelius Shaw, Gabe Ervin.

TE- We need two for this class after electing to take 0 last cycle. 

Prospects Toward the Top of the Board: Thomas Fidone, Erik Olson, Gunnar Helm

OL- We are sitting well here and they only need to take one more to fill the class

Top Prospects: Marcus Mbow, Geno VanDeMark

WR- It is time to get some big boys in this receiver room. I like where they are heading with bigger dudes. Expect three to four this cycle.

Top Prospects: Latrell Neville, Christian Dixon, Jaylon Griffin, Carlton Guidry

Defense

Overall #1-  Tobechi Okoli

DL- We have good numbers here. We will look to take a true nose and two ends to add some depth to this position. We will take 3 D-Lineman

Top Prospects- Tobechi Okoli, Tim Keenan, Michale Mokofiski, Mandela Tobin, Ru'Quan Buckley, 

ILB- We are looking for one more here. The good news is we can be selective on who to take.

Top Prospects: Deshawun Alleyne, Martez Thrower, Mikai Gibnor

OLB- We have a solid list of prospects so far. I expect us to take on more and be done. Terrence Lewis would be first but not going to put him on here unless I see him de-commit. 

Top Prospects:  Deshawun Alleyne( could play either spot)Christian Burkhalter, Patrick Hisatake,  Mikai Gibnor( not sure where we want him that is why he is on here twice) Logan Fano.

CB- We lose some experience after this year so it will be good to take one corner on each side. Might only take one.

Top Prospects- Tommi Hill, Malik Williams, Jamier Johnson

S- I think two safeties will be enough for this cycle. I think Buford takes one of these spots if he wanted it. 

Sirad Bryant, Bryce Stevens, New Zealand Williams

ATH- Marques Buford is the only athlete I see us in on. I believe he will play in the secondary for us. 

This puts us in the 24-25 ish range on prospects. I expect some attrition and could see this class being almost full. 

• Plus1 2

Currently at 41 team ranking. Class from a ratings stand point is pretty Meh at this point. Hopefully guys are just under rated at the moment and we are not taking these guys because the 4 and 5 star guys on our board have 0 interest. Which I wouldn’t blame them- the UCF shine is gone. Time to prove it 

this was originallly going to be a smaller class so I assumed being pickier and higher quality since can’t afford many misses or development guys 

10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Currently at 41 team ranking. Class from a ratings stand point is pretty Meh at this point. Hopefully guys are just under rated at the moment and we are not taking these guys because the 4 and 5 star guys on our board have 0 interest. Which I wouldn’t blame them- the UCF shine is gone. Time to prove it 

this was originallly going to be a smaller class so I assumed being pickier and higher quality since can’t afford many misses or development guys 

I think with the effect of Covid, the player ranking will be off by quite a bit. This may be a class where we think we were down and pulled a lot of average players. The only real truth will be 2022-23 to see how this class pans out. I feel bad for a lot of these kids, especially ones counting on working for offers at camps this summer. Who knows how  HS ball will be effected this year. 

On 6/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, LumberJackSker said:

I think its a miracle Nebraska still recruits as well as it does. These kids have never seen Nebraska win a conference title or play for a national title. Nebraska has been bad since these recruits were like 12.

Oklahoma hasn't won a National Title in 20 years.

Notre Dame hasn't won a National Title since 1988

Penn State hasn't won a National Title since 1989 - when they were still independant.

Georgia hasn't won a National Title since 1980

Michigan hasn't won a National Title since 1948. 

All of them were bad until they got a good coach and then they weren't.

Players go where the programs invest in them. Nebraska invests in the players as much as anyone. We will get talent. Gotta have a staff who can evaluate and coach it.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Oklahoma hasn't won a National Title in 20 years.

Notre Dame hasn't won a National Title since 1988

Penn State hasn't won a National Title since 1989 - when they were still independant.

Georgia hasn't won a National Title since 1980

Michigan hasn't won a National Title since 1948. 

All of them were bad until they got a good coach and then they weren't.

Players go where the programs invest in them. Nebraska invests in the players as much as anyone. We will get talent. Gotta have a staff who can evaluate and coach it.

Oklahoma has made the playoffs four times, and has won 13 conference championships in 20 years.

Notre Dame has made  the national championship and playoff in the last 10 years.

Penn State has a conference championship and 3 NY6 bowl appearances in the last 5 years.

Georgia has made one national championship game, and won the SEC in the last 5 years.

Michigan won a national championship in 1997 lol

All of them outrecruit the hell out of us, none of them have had 20 year stretches like we've had, and your selective critique of the post you quoted misses the point.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Oklahoma has made the playoffs four times, and has won 13 conference championships in 20 years.

Notre Dame has made  the national championship and playoff in the last 10 years.

Penn State has a conference championship and 3 NY6 bowl appearances in the last 5 years.

Georgia has made one national championship game, and won the SEC in the last 5 years.

Michigan won a national championship in 1997 lol

All of them outrecruit the hell out of us, none of them have had 20 year stretches like we've had, and your selective critique of the post you quoted misses the point.

No it doesn't. The POINT is that the fact that Nebraska hasn't won a championship since 97 is as irrelevant to Nebraska recruiting well as it is to those other programs. They recruit better than us now because they've been good. But they are good now because even when they were bad they put in the resources to keep investing in the players to be able to recruit well enough till they got a better coach who could win games and turn that into great recruiting.

Nebraska has done the same. Nebraska recruits well despite being awful BECAUSE the program invests in the players and programs that invest in players is where players want to play. 

Mike Riley's awful evaluation work aside, We still out-recruit everyone in our division and most of the other one. If this staff can COACH they will win games and the talent will go back up where those schools I mentioned above are because the infrastructure and support is still there. 

If they can't we'll move on to someone else who hopefully can. In the meantime we will still land top 25-30 classes because the program is set up to do so. - every coach since Osborne retired has done it more often than not and none of them were particularly great coaches. Win games and those top 25 classes become top 15 classes. Win more and they become top 10 classes.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I found a nice article for those that are interested in the numbers left for the 2021 class. 

https://hailvarsity.com/s/9701/big-red-recon-huskers-heating-up-on-recruiting-trail

A few things on his numbers on certain positions.

-I think we take 2 more WR's.

-We are done at O-line- outside of Geno VanDeMark who you take no matter what.

-I think we take 3 DBs as we graduate a few but the room is fairly stocked.

-Everything else looks spot on to me.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1