*** 2021 Recruiting ***

6 minutes ago, Decked said:

If they can’t start over Warner, Falck, Liewer, & martin by now they are basically done for. Let’s be honest. There’s a very, very small chance they pan out. 

Falk and Martin are talented guys that have more experience than either of those two guys. Liewer is a different story, but the other two were brought in because they were thought to be able to have an immediate impact. With three seasons left and one regular season and this weird covid one being their only opportunity, I don't think I'm going to write them off but obviously I may be in the minority there.

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Falk and Martin are talented guys that have more experience than either of those two guys. Liewer is a different story, but the other two were brought in because they were thought to be able to have an immediate impact. With three seasons left and one regular season and this weird covid one being their only opportunity, I don't think I'm going to write them off but obviously I may be in the minority there.

Falck and Martin are not bad. But if they are your top 3/4 guys then you are in a world of hurt. 

• Plus1 2

It’s not the best sign that they aren’t out on the field yet given everything but I think the concerning/telling sign is that they are basically never mentioned at all. The preseason is usually non-stop sunshine pumping (everywhere, not just here) and you usually have to read between the lines to figure out which players are not performing well. Nance and Houston are after thoughts and mostly left out in camp/season reports in a way that feels intentional.

The light bulb could always come on though.

4 minutes ago, Decked said:

Falck and Martin are not bad. But if they are your top 3/4 guys then you are in a world of hurt. 

It's a results based business and I can't argue with that. I'm just saying I'm not letting a full year and this disjointed mess of a year say that those two can't contribute in their next three full seasons. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

It's a results based business and I can't argue with that. I'm just saying I'm not letting a full year and this disjointed mess of a year say that those two can't contribute in their next three full seasons. 

I feel better with having Lubick instead of Walters but they had a great opportunity this year and it didn’t happen. Our WR core will get better. Will they?

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I mean ... Martin is the third-highest-rated WR we have on the team and 9th highest player overall.  He was the #47 player overall in the 2017 class.  But whatever I guess.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... Martin is the third-highest-rated WR we have on the team and 9th highest player overall.  He was the #47 player overall in the 2017 class.  But whatever I guess.

Yes. He is given his rating so far underproducing. What has Martin’s career been like? Let’s face the music. If we had good WRs Martin, Falck, Warner, & Liewer wouldn’t be taking as many snaps as they do now. We have a below average WR corps. One of the worst in the big ten. Houston and Nance must be really awful if they can’t beat them out. Two years in the program. Not even a snap. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

IMO the one glaring weakness of this class (and has continued to be) a lack of a pass rushing OLB. Losing Payton was horrible. The defense would be so much better with a threat on the edge. Please god I hope we get Jermaine Johnson from the portal (not gonna happen though haha).

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Decked said:

Yes. He is given his rating so far underproducing. What has Martin’s career been like? Let’s face the music. If we had good WRs Martin, Falck, Warner, & Liewer wouldn’t be taking as many snaps as they do now. We have a below average WR corps. One of the worst in the big ten. Houston and Nance must be really awful if they can’t beat them out. Two years in the program. Not even a snap. 

I mean, Martin has only been at each school a year so it's a little early to say he's bad. He was working with the scout team until partway through this year because they weren't sure he would be eligible. I don't think our receiver corps is phenomenal, but they have not been our problem for at least the second half of the year. The key thing for me is our emphasis on blocking - it's not crazy for a couple of 160lb track kids to take 2+ years to be able to contribute as blockers. I'm not holding my breath, but as we build depth we're going to have to stop writing kids off 2 years in. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...so we signed 19.  I'm sure there will be some transfers (always are) so we should be able to sign up to 28, right?

Obviously, we would love to have Savea and Dickerson.  But, those seem to be iffy at this point.

Who else are we really going after to fill the class?

Ho’ohuli (High chance)

Ceyair Wright (very low) 

Titus Mokiao-Atimalala (low) 

Zhen-Keith Sotelo (ours if we want him)

Zatcheka with potentially a Gifford type offer 

+Savea/Dickerson

Number was said to be 25. So a variety of 2021 class and transfers. I think we try and take Savea, Dickerson, & Ho’ohuli. Save rest for transfers. 

• Plus1 2