*** 2021 Recruiting ***

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would be pretty certain that they will do the same thing they did for baseball - seniors can come back next year and not count against the roster limits.

But the roster limits aren't the point. 

Say you're a HS DB right now. Nebraska should look pretty attractive with 3 senior starters set to graduate from the DB room. But now they'll all be here next year. One more year you're almost guaranteed to redshirt. Why come here?

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

But the roster limits aren't the point. 

Say you're a HS DB right now. Nebraska should look pretty attractive with 3 senior starters set to graduate from the DB room. But now they'll all be here next year. One more year you're almost guaranteed to redshirt. Why come here?

That plus say the ACC/SEC/Big 12 still play.  Seniors in front of me, plus these other teams actually still played.  Why go to <insert Big Ten school here>? Ohio State just had a top 40 kid decommit today,  probably headed to Florida.  Does this all set the Big Ten back?  What about current kids trying to transfer to play this year?  I wouldn't blame them if they can get a waiver.  What a mess.  

NT - We'll see where some of the current young guys end up playing.  But a true NT would be really handy in this class.

2021 Profiles

Current Scholarships/Commits

Official Visit Trackers: 247 - Rivals

QB - 1 - HEINRICH HAARBERG
RB - 1-2 - GABE ERVINCornelius ShawKelly LoiseauJaylin WhiteTavierre DunlapCam'Ron ValdezDe'Anthony Lewis
WR - 3 - SHAWN HARDYLATRELL NEVILLEKAMONTE GRIMESJace WilliamsEric McAlisterTitus Mokiao-Atimalala
TE - 2-3 - AJ ROLLINSTHOMAS FIDONEDametrious Crownover
OT - 2-3 - TEDDY PROCHAZKA, BRANSON YAGER
OG/C - 1 - HENRY LUTOVSKY

NT - 0-1 - Michael MokofisiTaleeq Robbins
DE - 2 - Ru'Quan BuckleyRobert Jackson
ILB - 3 - RANDOLPH KPAISETH MALCOMDeshauwn AlleyneBaron Hopson

OLB - 3 - PATRICK PAYTONMIKAI GBAYORLogan Fano

CB - 3-4 - LARDARIUS WEBBMARQUES BUFORDMALIK WILLIAMS
S - 0-1 - 

ATH - Kionte Curry

Early enrollees: Haarberg, Ervin, Neville, Prochazka, Yager, Lutovsky, Kpai, Malcom

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I would be pretty certain that they will do the same thing they did for baseball - seniors can come back next year and not count against the roster limits.

I don't remember, in baseball did they adjust the scholarship limits accordingly?

Even if they do, there's still a certain amount of log jam of players that will take at least a couple years to work out.  That affects HS kids who plan to sign with schools for 2001 at minimum.  As we all know, many of those plan on and expect immediate playing time.  That attitude may need to be adjusted and many that wouldn't normally redshirt...will need to do so.

But, if they are mature about it, they will just bide their time and have their chance a couple years down the road.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't remember, in baseball did they adjust the scholarship limits accordingly?

Even if they do, there's still a certain amount of log jam of players that will take at least a couple years to work out.  That affects HS kids who plan to sign with schools for 2001 at minimum.  As we all know, many of those plan on and expect immediate playing time.  That attitude may need to be adjusted and many that wouldn't normally redshirt...will need to do so.

But, if they are mature about it, they will just bide their time and have their chance a couple years down the road.

Those returning for the extra year don't count against the scholarship limits in baseball.

There would definitely be more competition for playing time.  But it's probably going to be that way at a lot of places so their other choices will be limited.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Those returning for the extra year don't count against the scholarship limits in baseball.

There would definitely be more competition for playing time.  But it's probably going to be that way at a lot of places so their other choices will be limited.

That's what I thought.  We have to also realize that not all seniors are going to return.  If you've been a starter an NFL prospect, you're probably gone.  If you're a bench warmer and have been for 5 years, you're probably gone.  The ones that are going to stick around are the guys getting good playing time, but probably don't have a future in football and want to play one more season.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's what I thought.  We have to also realize that not all seniors are going to return.  If you've been a starter an NFL prospect, you're probably gone.  If you're a bench warmer and have been for 5 years, you're probably gone.  The ones that are going to stick around are the guys getting good playing time, but probably don't have a future in football and want to play one more season.

EfQPWsEXYAAJajo?format=jpg&name=small

11 minutes ago, GIHusker said:

Geno VanDeMark is down to 6 and Nebraska appears to be in the thick of it.  Michigan State is trending but this one could go the Huskers way...

https://cfbsaturdays.com/recruiting-battle-geno-vandemark/

Michigan State & Rutgers are surely in front (appears to be that order). We may be third.

Off topic but: Taking 3 TEs now and Carnie will 90-95% be one of them with Fidone & Rollins. We may not take another OL. Maro/VanDeMark (or bust) with 2 last class & 3 this class makes for some number disparity when everyone graduates at once (even if one or two leave). 

• Plus1 1
On 8/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, Decked said:

Michigan State & Rutgers are surely in front (appears to be that order). We may be third.

Off topic but: Taking 3 TEs now and Carnie will 90-95% be one of them with Fidone & Rollins. We may not take another OL. Maro/VanDeMark (or bust) with 2 last class & 3 this class makes for some number disparity when everyone graduates at once (even if one or two leave). 

I've seen this a few times now - do we actually think we can use 3 TEs, or is this a deal where someone gets a try at OLB if they're 3rd at TE? Even with Fidone probably skipping the redshirt and getting a year of separation, seems unlikely there's room for all 3 to contribute significantly at one TE. Injuries and other things happen and maybe Hickman stays at WR, but 3 seems like a lot. 

31 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I've seen this a few times now - do we actually think we can use 3 TEs, or is this a deal where someone gets a try at OLB if they're 3rd at TE? Even with Fidone probably skipping the redshirt and getting a year of separation, seems unlikely there's room for all 3 to contribute significantly at one TE. Injuries and other things happen and maybe Hickman stays at WR, but 3 seems like a lot. 

Going into 2022 season we would have:

Hickman: RsSoph (if he moves back)

Fidone: Soph

Carne: RsFr

Rollins: RsFr

Then whoever we recruit next class that would be showing up that fall as a TrFr. 

Looking at the projected above depth chart, I would encourage taking 3 this class (if they are the right 3). If you don't you're going to have to look Transfer/Juco, might need to anyway. 

• Plus1 1