*** 2021 Recruiting ***

3 hours ago, Decked said:

I see Kpai at OLB & Wynden at ILB.

That's a possibility as well.  

I think with Honas (hopefully), Reimer and probably Henrich, they have a good base inside.  Plus Mauga and Kolarevic if they pan out.  

Nelson and Payne were solid at the strong OLB spot this year and Tannor was serviceable.  But they are still looking for someone more dynamic.  So I'm thinking a couple of these guys will at least get a look outside when they get he to see if anything looks promising.

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

That's a possibility as well.  

I think with Honas (hopefully), Reimer and probably Henrich, they have a good base inside.  Plus Mauga and Kolarevic if they pan out.  

Nelson and Payne were solid at the strong OLB spot this year and Tannor was serviceable.  But they are still looking for someone more dynamic.  So I'm thinking a couple of these guys will at least get a look outside when they get he to see if anything looks promising.

Just based on film, I'm not understanding why Mauga isn't playing outside. Dude flies. I was surprised to not see him this year, just based on athleticism. 

On 1/3/2021 at 6:20 PM, Atbone95 said:

Just based on film, I'm not understanding why Mauga isn't playing outside. Dude flies. I was surprised to not see him this year, just based on athleticism. 

Should be a guy we use in space. Get him up to even 220 and he can be a hybrid style player. 

On 1/3/2021 at 6:20 PM, Atbone95 said:

I've heard some reporter say that in JC he basically just blitzed every play and had to learn how to play actual football. Would still be nice to see him get in there situationally.

21 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I've heard some reporter say that in JC he basically just blitzed every play and had to learn how to play actual football. Would still be nice to see him get in there situationally.

I have heard that same thing regarding Mauga.  I think it was Sam McKewon who made that comment when reviewing the 2020 recruiting class.  I didn't expect Mauga to play at all this past season, and he didn't.  He was a bit of a project, but athletic enough to take a chance on.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have heard that same thing regarding Mauga.  I think it was Sam McKewon who made that comment when reviewing the 2020 recruiting class.  I didn't expect Mauga to play at all this past season, and he didn't.  He was a bit of a project, but athletic enough to take a chance on.

I think our focus at LB for JC's is find the next Lavonte David and Terrell Farley. Is Mauga that athletic?

17 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think our focus at LB for JC's is find the next Lavonte David and Terrell Farley. Is Mauga that athletic?

I don't think Mauga will be on par with 2 of the best LB's in NU history, that's asking a lot from him.  But if he is able to be a contributor at the hybrid OLB/Nickel position against spread teams, then I think that would be a good career for him at NU.  I think about how good Dejon Gomes was at NU.  If Maugu can be near that level, that's really good.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think Mauga will be on par with 2 of the best LB's in NU history, that's asking a lot from him.  But if he is able to be a contributor at the hybrid OLB/Nickel position against spread teams, then I think that would be a good career for him at NU.  I think about how good Dejon Gomes was at NU.  If Maugu can be near that level, that's really good.

How many years of eligibility does he have left?  Didn't he come in with 3 years?  So...he would still have 3?