No Smoking on UNL campus

I don't know how many are impacted by this, but as of January 1, 2018 not only can't you smoke in the stadium, but you are not allowed to smoke anywhere on the UNL campus, even outside the stadium.  I'd guess that the closest place to go, to get off campus, would be north of the stadium.  It does not impact me, as I am not a smoker, but there are a LOT of people who are that attend games and they will be impacted.  I know that information about needing a clear bag came with my season tickets, but I did not look to see if this was spelled out.  Just passing along  before Saturday.

UNL Tobacco Free Boundary Map

UNL-TobaccoFree-BoundaryMap.pdf

• Plus1 1

Honestly, it's about time. I smoked for some time in college though never in heavily trafficked areas or while walking in crowds. I would always go somewhere relatively secluded and away from other people in order to not bother them. Some other people who smoke are far less considerate and it really starts to grind my gears when it begins to impact my wife's asthma/allergies.

1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

Just chew on unlit cigars like Lord Verduzco.

Or chewing tobacco like Lord ScoFro.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Honestly, it's about time. I smoked for some time in college though never in heavily trafficked areas or while walking in crowds. I would always go somewhere relatively secluded and away from other people in order to not bother them. Some other people who smoke are far less considerate and it really starts to grind my gears when it begins to impact my wife's asthma/allergies.

I've never had an issue with smokers on gamedays, so on one hand, I don't really think this is necessary. I honestly can't remember the last time I was near a smoker on gameday. There's enough space sold the stadium if people want to get away from smokers if it's really bothering them. It's not that hard to walk 5 feet up wind.

Smoking annoys me and is awful, but the idea of someone getting in trouble with cops or security for having a cigarette a block or two from the stadium is pretty silly imo.

9 minutes ago, Oade said:

I've never had an issue with smokers on gamedays, so on one hand, I don't really think this is necessary. I honestly can't remember the last time I was near a smoker on gameday. There's enough space sold the stadium if people want to get away from smokers if it's really bothering them. It's not that hard to walk 5 feet up wind.

Smoking annoys me and is awful, but the idea of someone getting in trouble with cops or security for having a cigarette a block or two from the stadium is pretty silly imo.

I think a large part of it is where you come from to get the stadium. For example, our family has tailgating spots outside Haymarket Park. We often get stuck behind several smokers when we make our way over the bridge to the stadium and they're usually still smoking by the time we actually get onto campus.

I don't see it much around the stadium itself but, anecdotally speaking, I do still see it from time to time.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Technically, use of any tobacco on campus is now prohibited. I was quite concerned (Not) about my Copenhagen dip being discovered as we were moving my daughter into her dorm. But there are signs saying it is not allowed. The ironic thing is, it was during my college years at UNL where those darned tobacco company reps got me hooked with their free samples.

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Technically, use of any tobacco on campus is now prohibited. I was quite concerned (Not) about my Copenhagen dip being discovered as we were moving my daughter into her dorm. But there are signs saying it is not allowed. The ironic thing is, it was during my college years at UNL where those darned tobacco company reps got me hooked with their free samples.

guess you shouldnt have been going to the state fair picking up the free samples in devaney. but i think those were red man and levi garrett.

and not sure why they gave them to me when i wasnt 18 yet.