POW/MIA Memorial Coming to Memorial

Mavric

5 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

But it’s cool when they give Adam DeVine/Suh/Larry the Cable Guy/other various sporting teams/ etc. screen time?

I think 1 minute of your time isn’t more important than the people burying empty caskets. It likely would’ve been 1 more minute of commercials anyway.

It's just an observation. In my opinion the University is already promoting militarism way more than it should. I feel for those who have to bury loved ones, but a football game is not a good venue for something like this.

• Plus1 3

I have no problem supporting the military (my brother is currently serving), but UNL's efforts are clearly far more geared towards advertising.  I personally don't feel it appropriate that UNL waves the flag around to sell tickets, which is exactly what they are doing.  If they really wanted to help they could make a giant donation towards Wounded Veterans or other organizations...instead they promote a special chair, or a flyover, or veterans faces which we will feature on camera a bunch of times to get people teary eyed and buy NU tickets and get them good PR.

Please read McCain's report on "Paid Patriotism": https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/12de6dcb-d8d8-4a58-8795-562297f948c1/tackling-paid-patriotism-oversight-report.pdf  From a former POW.  It talks mostly about professional sports, but it does include 3 Big Ten schools, see a summary here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3t1lpx/indiana_purdue_and_wisconsin_had_paid_patriotism/

The congressmen could only get a report from 60% of the Pentagon's contracts, so it wouldn't surprise me if Nebraska also has some sort of abuse like this.

• Plus1 9