POW/MIA Memorial Coming to Memorial

Mavric

People don't want to think about the atrocities that have happened in the past.  I get that.  People don't like war... Completely understandable.  I can't however think of a better venue to honor those who sacrificed all.  Everyone should HAVE to see it... Have to remember it.  Our peaceful everyday lives weren't free.  Those men paid for them for us.  I think every citizen should be reminded occasionally.  

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, khaake said:

Yes, the stadium was originally named to honor Nebraskans who fought in the Civil War, the Spanish-Americans wars, and World War One, but perhaps the theme is growing a little old. In any case, I wish UNL would not deliberately inject more militarism into football games.

I struggle to understand how honoring the heroes of our country is growing old. You have the right to your opinion just like I have the right to mine. I just think it’s always appropriate to remember and honor the people who made sure we have that right. 

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I always thank the OG soldiers who faught in the revolutionary war.  I think about those guys while they play the national anthem.  I think people always bring up WW11 or Vietnam but literally without the minutemen there would not be freedom or football. There would only be soccer.  The 

Just a thought experiment, but what would have happened if the colonies did not revolt, if the United States was never anything but a British colony? Would we be free?

34 minutes ago, khaake said:

Just a thought experiment, but what would have happened if the colonies did not revolt, if the United States was never anything but a British colony? Would we be free?

Doubt it... or it would have taken a lot longer.  India  gained their independence in 1947!!. France probably wouldn't be free because they jumped on the revolution train we started (yes I know they weren't under British rule).  I think the Monarchy changed once all these other countries gained their independence.  Capitalism and democracy changed the game.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, khaake said:

Yes, it's a nice gesture, but when added to an already large list, it is just too much. 

Yep, there are just too many nice gestures in the world.

God forbid someone should have to stop eating nachos for a minute or pause from drinking a beer on a cfb Saturday.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Doubt it... or it would have taken a lot longer.  India  gained their independence in 1947!!. France probably wouldn't be free because they jumped on the revolution train we started (yes I know they weren't under British rule).  I think the Monarchy changed once all these other countries gained their independence.  Capitalism and democracy changed the game.

I agree it would have taken a lot longer, but I do think it would have happened. Democracy was a concept whose time had come.

10 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Oh man...could you imagine how much more lame the PR forums would be if we were still a British colony?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Oade said:

Yep, there are just too many nice gestures in the world.

God forbid someone should have to stop eating nachos for a minute or pause from drinking a beer on a cfb Saturday.

Again, the problem as I see it is that is this isn't in isolation. There are multiple events throughout the game, on the network, etc., every week. It's just too much, and a strange pairing. Let the game be the game.

20 minutes ago, khaake said:

Again, the problem as I see it is that is this isn't in isolation. There are multiple events throughout the game, on the network, etc., every week. It's just too much, and a strange pairing. Let the game be the game.

You could make the same argument about literally everything if you wanted. To single out and get hung up on honoring the Services is mind boggling to me.

There are too many TV screens in the stadium - it's a nice thing for the fans in attendance though. There are too many seats, why do we need 90k seats? Why did we spend all that time and money on stadium expansion, it's not like it helped the team directly. Why are there so many concession options, the game will still be the game if we all don't get a slice of pizza.

None of that is really an issue or too much, unless you choose to let it be.