OL Recruiting

13 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Alright, party pooper, I'll be more specific. SPH said we need to recruit kids who can compete to start Day 1. 

The Huskers have had one true freshman ever start Day 1 - Tyler Moore, and he was a total wuss who transferred. 

Better? 

Does it count that Jaimes started 9 games as a true freshman last year and was arguably one of the best on the field?

• Plus1 3

For the record, I didn't say they HAD to start.  I said compete to start.  Wisconsin (who many say we are trying to be like) had 3 RS Freshmen on their 2 deep last year.  That likely wasn't out of desperation.  It was because they were ready to play.

Lately, freshmen starting for Nebraska on the OL, has been due more because of lack of depth and we needed a body.

Basically we need good OL that can actually push the players that are on the team.  It doesn't need to be all 5 freshmen starting.  I would just like to see 1-2 big time OL be able to come in and actually compete day 1.  Even if they still redshirt in the end.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

For the record, I didn't say they HAD to start.  I said compete to start.  Wisconsin (who many say we are trying to be like) had 3 RS Freshmen on their 2 deep last year.  That likely wasn't out of desperation.  It was because they were ready to play.

Lately, freshmen starting for Nebraska on the OL, has been due more because of lack of depth and we needed a body.

Basically we need good OL that can actually push the players that are on the team.  It doesn't need to be all 5 freshmen starting.  I would just like to see 1-2 big time OL be able to come in and actually compete day 1.  Even if they still redshirt in the end.

It is also because when you have 17 offensive linemen on the team and 9 of them are freshmen, you literally have to have some freshmen in the two-deep.

33 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

oh jesus... 

alright, I will be very clear. 

Only. One. Player. Ever. Has. Ever. Started. A. Season. Opener. At. OL. For. Nebraska. 

Okay.  Fair enough.  Can we agree we need to get OL here that can at least PUSH for playing time as freshmen?  They don't have to start.  Just be good enough to play?  Or are we only going for 2-3 year developmental players?

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Okay.  Fair enough.  Can we agree we need to get OL here that can at least PUSH for playing time as freshmen?  They don't have to start.  Just be good enough to play?  Or are we only going for 2-3 year developmental players?

The bold is how it works 99.9% of the time and this in not saying that they are recruiting developmental players - it's just that 18 year old lineman need lots of development.

4 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

The bold is how it works 99.9% of the time and this in not saying that they are recruiting developmental players - it's just that 18 year old lineman need lots of development.

There are a lot of true and redshirt freshmen playing and starting in P5 games.  I think 99.9% was the way it used to be.  I don’t believe it’s that high of a percentage anymore

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

There are a lot of true and redshirt freshmen playing and starting in P5 games.  I think 99.9% was the way it used to be.  I don’t believe it’s that high of a percentage anymore

Not sure about how many True Freshmen are playing.  Nicholas Petit Frere and Jackson Carman are two of the top OL in last class and they are not starting.  Those guy are about as ready as any 18 year old can get, but they are playing at OSU and Clemson so competition is quite a bit higher.  I could see more RSFr playing but that is not bringing guys to play right away.  I think the guys we are bringing in could look to make an impact after a RS year. 

6 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Not sure about how many True Freshmen are playing.  Nicholas Petit Frere and Jackson Carman are two of the top OL in last class and they are not starting.  Those guy are about as ready as any 18 year old can get, but they are playing at OSU and Clemson so competition is quite a bit higher.  I could see more RSFr playing but that is not bringing guys to play right away.  I think the guys we are bringing in could look to make an impact after a RS year. 

I think if you look at the number of true sophomores that are starting or 2nd string, there are a lot.  Which means they played as true freshmen. I'm just looking for us to not always bring in "projects."  Our OL is middle of the pack at best and if we don't get players in that can push them, I don't think they will get much better.

Just need new players that will push the older ones early.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think if you look at the number of true sophomores that are starting or 2nd string, there are a lot.  Which means they played as true freshmen. I'm just looking for us to not always bring in "projects."  Our OL is middle of the pack at best and if we don't get players in that can push them, I don't think they will get much better.

Just need new players that will push the older ones early.

You are not understanding the "Culture" it is just the opposite the older ones are the ones that push the younger ones to climb up to their level so that they are studs for their Jr/Sr years.