OL Recruiting

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Patience for what?  The starting 5 OL as a unit are not very good.  They are average at best.  And the OL coach says they can only rely on ONE backup.  This isn't just me talking.  The radio guys are saying the same thing.  Where are the other guys to step up?

my lord you act as if the coaching staff nebraska has in place has been recruiting to nebraska for years.

5 minutes ago, desertshox said:

exactly. in one year they cant do what the previous 3 coaches couldnt do in 14 years. while it may not look like they are recruiting "the best lineman" by star standards they are recruiting to a system. so we have to have a little patience and see what the line looks like when they have players recruited to their system.

Stars aren't the issue.  Ability is.

We have 3 4-star OL starting and they aren't very good as a unit.

• Plus1 1

i am gonna scratch my head and move on from this thread because you just ignored everything i and others have said. but before i leave, this staff has brought in the best OL they could get last year on a short cycle. they have recruits in this year's class that fit their system but may not be day 1 starters and are also still recruiting a couple of OL that could push for pt right away. lastly, nothing the recruits can do this year to help the OL.

14 minutes ago, desertshox said:

i am gonna scratch my head and move on from this thread because you just ignored everything i and others have said. but before i leave, this staff has brought in the best OL they could get last year on a short cycle. they have recruits in this year's class that fit their system but may not be day 1 starters and are also still recruiting a couple of OL that could push for pt right away. lastly, nothing the recruits can do this year to help the OL.

The best they could get was ONE CENTER that was already committed?

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/29/2018 at 11:14 PM, ScottyIce said:

Hmm.

Looks like we could be gaining a lot of steam here.

4* Benhart getting CB’s and visiting this weekend.

4* Danielsen visiting this weekend unofficially.

4* Concoran visiting this weekend unofficially.

Next weekend, the Twin Towers From Texas in the 2021 class are visiting. Both 4*. Foster & Conner.

Would be fun to land a couple of these guys.

Kinda cool, looks pretty solid for all of these guys sans Danielsen.

The twin towers are visiting N again in a couple weeks.

Hoping we just load up in the trenches.

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday for the 1st time in a long time I actually saw some gaurds pulling and blocking like they knew what they were doing. I cant wait till we get back to athletic lineman who pull and have the instinct to earhole an unsuspecting D-lineman or LB crashing and then get to the second level and do it again. Find those guys....

• 4 weeks later...

I get the feeling that getting Benhart really changed our outlook on OL recruiting for this class.

First, we seemed to pretty much lose interest in taking a JUCO OT.  Which is still a bit surprising to me but we seem to have moved on from that. 

Word is Anderson has been slated to start out at LT.  Which would mean that Benhart would presumably be working at RT.  The best explanation for that would be Jaimes has the LT spot locked down for the next two years so Anderson has time to mature and get stronger.  But I would think that would give Benhart every chance to come in and start from Day 1.  Assuming he can catch/surpass MFarniok early enough, that would let Farniok slide inside where he is probably a better fit anyway.

Second, word is Michael Lynn is actually going to start out on the interior.  I can't say for sure that getting Benhart changed the thinking about him but it's possible.  The two classes ahead of him are light on guards so we'll have to fill in somewhere.

Third, it also might have given the coaches some latitude to not be all that worried about Bland.  Not saying they wouldn't still want him as I still think he could definitely help next year.  But it might have given them some freedom to not really have to worry as much about him not making it.  Mostly speculation there on my part but it fits the pieces to the puzzle.

Finally, it gives us the opportunity to take a chance on a guy like Fritzche who is a bit of a project.  We wouldn't need someone to be ready to go for a couple years so you have some time to develop a guy who has some potential.

I'm guessing we see an OLine similar to this next year.

LT:  Jamies

LG:  Farniok

C:  Miller or Bland ( If he makes it)

RG:  Wilson

RT:  Benhart

The center position is going to be interesting to watch.  I would not be surprised to see Raridon move back to center.

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I'm guessing we see an OLine similar to this next year.

LT:  Jamies

LG:  Farniok

C:  Miller or Bland ( If he makes it)

RG:  Wilson

RT:  Benhart

The center position is going to be interesting to watch.  I would not be surprised to see Raridon move back to center.

I could see C: Jurgens