OL Recruiting

• 5 months later...

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

HOL noted today that getting Teddy Prochazka (Elkhorn South) for the 2021 class would give us a Rivals100 OT in three straight classes (Benhart for 2019 and Corcoran for 2020).

giphy.gif

GREAT!!!!  Now, develop them and put them in a scheme where they can be successful.

PS>.....I think we will accomplish that.

5 hours ago, BigRedN said:

This trend with a Top 100 Rivals OT for three straight classes is a start.  

It get the feeling that the Top programs seem to get two of these in each recruiting cycle.  Is this true or does it just feel this way to me?

Considering there are currently only 12 OTs in this year's Rivals100, I doubt there are a lot of programs getting more than one.

Of those 12 the following schools have their commitments: Ohio State, Stanford, Georgia (2), Boston College, Nebraska, Notre Dame, LSU, Penn State & Wisconsin - 2 are uncommitted

48 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No official rankings yet but word is the national Rivals guys are pretty high on him.  He's said to be easily in the Top 100 when they come out and may be pushing the Top 50.

Wow! Very impressive! Thus far loosely following he has seemed right on the edge of 4 stars but that is fantastic news. 

• 3 weeks later...

With Conn now in the fold, I really feel like between Benhart, Corcoran, and Conn we have a really solid core of tackles for the next 4-6 years. Throw in a developmental player with huge upside (in a couple years) in Fritzche and possibly stud 2021 recruit Teddy Prochazka, the tackle position in recruiting is finally starting to look like a bright spot and strength!

6 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

With Conn now in the fold, I really feel like between Benhart, Corcoran, and Conn we have a really solid core of tackles for the next 4-6 years. Throw in a developmental player with huge upside (in a couple years) in Fritzche and possibly stud 2021 recruit Teddy Prochazka, the tackle position in recruiting is finally starting to look like a bright spot and strength!

I will be curious if they move Conn to guard. Benhart and Corcoran seem like guys who are going to stamp their name on that position. It's refreshing to have options for a change.

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to evaluating offensive linemen for ranking purposes, the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft was an eye-opening experience.

So many undersized players were taken among the early picks that the thinking that ready-made prospects at the high school level should be ranked highest might not be the best way of doing things. Since Rivals rankings are based on college performance and NFL Draft position, it may be time to re-evaluate our evaluations.

We ask Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell if those players - and possibly some bigger, less-athletic tight ends, are the types of recruits we should consider for five-star status since their ceiling is so high over the next few years?

“Maybe this draft year was a fluke, who knows? But I know we are looking for athletic offensive linemen with great feet when we look for five-stars now, and that could be a 270-pound kid. It’s impossible to project a tight end to be an elite offensive tackle and a guy like Lane Johnson for the Philadelphia Eagles was a quarterback in high school, so sometimes you just don’t know. But athleticism is key and some of the guys who are already 335 pounds in high school often just don’t progress as much as you’d like. That’s why I’m so high on a guy like Parks.”

Rivals