Pessimist Perspective

BIG ERN

3 hours ago, brophog said:

When it comes to the Big Ten West I'm not as worried about this year as I am the future, because we know teams like Purdue are still being held back by QB play. All three teams last night showed me that's their bottleneck. Until that position changes, I'm not that concerned.

I think the good news about Purdue is I don't think Brohm is long for that world, he's too good of a coach to be at a spot like Purdue for much longer.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, NUinID said:

I thought Clayton Thorson played just fine last night.  The #4 for Purdue is going to be really good.  I was impressed with the defenses being hard nosed.  Not that super athletic, but tough.  I hope Nebraska can show a superior athlete that will, along with toughness and aggressiveness will hold the day against teams like Purdue/NW and Iowa. 

Nebraska has been out toughed and has shown very little resiliency for a long time.  Not just with Riley, but with Pelini's last 2-3 teams.  NW and Iowa are never going to out recruit Nebraska, but they sure have been a tougher team than Nebraska.  You could probably throw Michigan St into that group also.  

I guess that is what I want to see out of this team more than anything.  I want to see no quit.  

I'm just afraid that at some point in the season the "strain" is just too much for the upperclassmen, and they revert to old habits.  I would agree with your seven win sentiment.  Things are more than likely going to look pretty good early in the season.  Once we get to the tougher games, we're more than likely going to have one of those wtf moments when we swear we're watching a Husker team of the past few years.  The coaching staff really do have their hands full changing the culture.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this all getting ironed out in year one.  We're probably going to see some growing pains this season, but I do believe Frost and staff will take care of the problems as they arise.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:26 AM, Mavric said:

Stanley isn't exactly a burner either.  Might be why he and Reimers are in the same spot on the depth chart.

According to Frost, Morgan is plenty fast. He was surprised that Morgan told him he wasn’t fast when he first arrived  to Lincoln. But he can fly now. 

2 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

According to Frost, Morgan is plenty fast. He was surprised that Morgan told him he wasn’t fast when he first arrived  to Lincoln. But he can fly now. 

Eh .... "plenty fast" is a pretty relative term.  He's not slow by any means.  But I doubt he's in the top three fastest WRs on our team.  Might not be top five.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He is not faster than Williams, Spielman or Woodyard.  Might not be faster than Lindsey.  Probably fifth, give or take a spot.

Andre Hunt is a speedster I've heard as well. Morgan just doesn't have super top end speed. Thats perfectly fine with the type of reciever he is but he definitely lacks the gear a guy like Williams can bring you.

I would rather have a bunch of freshmen playing with passion and heart than juniors and seniors treating it like a country club. On effort alone, we pick up a couple wins. What we saw last year was a team that quit. 

All of the coaches we have had since Solich, tried to change what made Nebraska great. Think about it. Cutting Walkon Program (Callahan), Not owning the state of Nebraska from a recruiting standpoint (Pelini), Zero acccountability (Riley).

Frost has immediately come in and revamped everything and getting back to what made Nebraska great. Im not saying titles just yet. But man, the excitement is back!

I can guarantee this, you will never see a Nebraska team flat out quit like we saw last year.