Blackshirt Philosophy

How should the Blackshirts be distributed throughout the season?  

Do you have to play a perfect game?

Can you lose them if the defense plays poorly as a whole?

In my opinion, I like how the staff is handling it. If you get them, you have to earn them every week.  If we give up 40 points, everyone should lose em.  Hopefully guys would give them back to show that they dont deserve them when that stuff happens. 

What are your thoughts?

• Plus1 1

I love the defense more than the offense. I think the predatory side of football is more fun to watch than the offense. Personal preference.

As a Husker fan, I love the Blackshirts and the tradition surrounding it.  It's a cool thing.

All that said, I'm sick of this constant "when are the Blackshirts going to be handed out" stuff. It's a distraction. Let's just play some football. Hand them out to the starters during game week first game of the season and let's be done with it.

• Plus1 1

Offense is fun to watch, but I love watching a dominating defense more.  It's great to watch a dominant defense completely shut down an opponent.

In the mid-90's, it was great when NU would win the coin toss and defer to the 2nd half.  That meant the Blackshirts were going to be on the field first.  The sequence usually went like this:

1.  Kicker kicks the ball through the end zone for a touchback.

2.  Blackshirts get a quick 3 and out or force a turnover.

3.  NU offense gets great field position as a by-product of the defense, and scores quickly.

4.  Rinse-repeat.

1 hour ago, boach_clack said:

How should the Blackshirts be distributed throughout the season?  

Do you have to play a perfect game?

Can you lose them if the defense plays poorly as a whole?

In my opinion, I like how the staff is handling it. If you get them, you have to earn them every week.  If we give up 40 points, everyone should lose em.  Hopefully guys would give them back to show that they dont deserve them when that stuff happens. 

What are your thoughts?

I actually liked this approach when Pelini used it. I get that it's supposed to signify starters, but over time took on the additional meaning of a great f'ing defense.