Akron Game Weather

32 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I was just about to post a thread on this too.  I am making an 8-hour drive to see the game tomorrow night, and now it looks like its supposed to storm.  I will keep my fingers crossed its just nothing too bad and the game does not get delayed.  

It's not supposed to storm anymore. That's what weather.com was saying on Wednesday. Now it's only supposed to rain and the % chance has dipped down again. But it's still above 50% for 8pm on. I'm hoping by tomorrow it'll have been delayed to Sunday morning.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

There is a chance of severe stuff...  If it is bad is there any chance it would be delayed until Sunday?  I didn't know if that had ever happened.

They would delay it during the game until the thunder/lightning passed, if they thought it would pass in a decent amount of time. I don't think there's any way they'd play it on Sunday. If it gets cancelled they'll either move it to a different weekend or cancel it all together. But I see no thunderstorms in the forecast for Saturday. Only rain.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They would delay it during the game until the thunder/lightning passed, if they thought it would pass in a decent amount of time. I don't think there's any way they'd play it on Sunday. If it gets cancelled they'll either move it to a different weekend or cancel it all together. But I see no thunderstorms in the forecast for Saturday. Only rain.

I agree, but if they were to ever delay a game to Sunday, this would be the weekend. Three day weekend, and no nfl. There are a few CFB games already scheduled for Sunday and Monday, so it's not completely out of the question if it comes to that.

Just now, Oade said:

I agree, but if they were to ever delay a game to Sunday, this would be the weekend. Three day weekend, and no nfl. There are a few CFB games already scheduled for Sunday and Monday, so it's not completely out of the question if it comes to that.

Ya that's a good point.

58 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

There is a chance of severe stuff...  If it is bad is there any chance it would be delayed until Sunday?  I didn't know if that had ever happened.

I sure hope they can get the game in on Saturday as I don't have a place to stay Sunday night if the game gets pushed back a day.  The only time I have seen games rescheduled are when there is a tropical storm or hurricane in the Southeast.  Let's hope the weather Gods are looking out for Frost's big debut as a head coach.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, I learned to read weather models and Forecast Discussions when I was actively chasing storms. Here is what the latest Forecast Discussion says about Saturday night:

A weak cold front should push down in eastern
NE and western IA tonight and then stall or sink slowly south on
Saturday. Storm chances look higher (40 to 70 percent) for
Saturday night. Moisture may pool along the boundary, with PW
values from 1.50 to 2.00 inches. The pattern is favorable for
locally heavy rain, even into Sunday and Sunday night, as mid
level impulses will be moving from west to east through the area
in the moist and unstable environment.

So, the feature you want to be looking at is the cold front location on Saturday, which is like a bulldozer pushing the less dense air ahead of it and causing lift that becomes convective storms. Models can only guess at the location, but the day of the event you need to watch the real conditions. I like to use the SPC Composite Map and click the box on the left showing the Fronts (it updates once an hour). The problem with the language is that they don't know if it is going to stall or sink south. 

Here is what where one model shows the cold front at game time.

AkronTemp.png

The models are showing a TON of gunpowder in the area and more SW of Lincoln (which could be bad because the storms will be moving SW to NE that day). The (possibly) good news is that the storms should be supercells. Forecast language will be for "isolated storms" which means territory between the cells. If you are in the path of a supercell, not so good with hail and high wind being the main threat tomorrow unless you are in the Grand Island to York areas. But if you are not in the direct path of a cell you may not see anything until later in the evening when the discreet supercells merge and become a big MCS (widespread storms/rain over a large area).

There are lots of model runs to go between now and gametime. And there will be differences between models. Gametime is JUST becoming available on the HRRR shortrange model, which goes out 36 hrs on the twelves (Zulu time). I'll update this post with the simulated reflectivity of that model run when it gets to hour 36. The last run it was showing the convective line being well south of Lincoln. Let's hope that trend continues.

• Plus1 7
  • Mavric changed the title to Akron Game Weather