Possible Sunday reschedule

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Think of the logistics of playing a game with 12 hours notice?  You would need all of the stadium workers available (ticket takers, concessions people, etc).  Would the concessions even have enough food/beverage after people hanging around in the concourse for 2.5 hours. All the police/security inside and outside the stadium that would need to be available.

There are thousands of people who work in/around the stadium.  Do you think they could have dropped everything and been available at 7am?

I get that Frost/Moos want to play, but I’m not sure it would even be able to pull off a game the next day w/o it being a major cluster-f in and around memorial stadium.

I worked for a professional softball organization last year where we had to scramble to accommodate a game in less time with this exact same scenario (stadium capacity of 2,000 so the scale was much less and the logistics less grand). All that listed above is to be considered and a bunch of other stuff. It’s nearly impossible. I think someone else posted the turnaround time for the teams is less than ideal, too. That’s hard on athletes of this caliber. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The rules for FCS schools are probably different, and if the rule for bowl game eligibility is the same we can have 1 FCS win count. 

Yep, and really the Akron game was supposed to be a way to ease the team into the season as a lighter opponent.  I think you would be able to pay the FCS team less and get the easier game with more people on the team being able to play like the University planned.

Anybody know why we didn't just do what LSU-Miami did and reschedule for tonight?

I know that's a game of a different magnitude. But it just seems like it sent the message they care about that game and we just tossed the towel in because this was Akron. Could their lodging/travel issues really not have been tweaked to accommodate an afternoon/evening game?

10 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Anybody know why we didn't just do what LSU-Miami did and reschedule for tonight?

I know that's a game of a different magnitude. But it just seems like it sent the message they care about that game and we just tossed the towel in because this was Akron. Could their lodging/travel issues really not have been tweaked to accommodate an afternoon/evening game?

I think weather would be bad again

13 hours ago, FTW said:

All we know is FOX prematurely announced it. We don't know the details. We don't know if Akron skipped town and said forget it or if the weather outlook for tomorrow is bad enough they can't play. We don't know if both schools even came to any kind of agreement. All we know is it's cancelled and our season opener is against Colorado.

My guess is Akron said no way. They didn't want to deal with finding a place to stay, not getting much rest, getting their heads kicked in, and losing a 2nd day of the 3-day weekend. And given that the weather was still threatening on Sunday, they just said screw it, we am going home.

13 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

My guess is Akron said no way. They didn't want to deal with finding a place to stay, not getting much rest, getting their heads kicked in, and losing a 2nd day of the 3-day weekend. And given that the weather was still threatening on Sunday, they just said screw it, we am going home.

Yep, you summed it up pretty well. 

14 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Everyone deserves to get their ticket price refunded.

I don't know what the University can do for people to refund their travel costs. Imagine if you came from out of state.

I'd be beyond PO'd. 

My son flew out from So Cal to see Coach Frost's first game. Plane tickets, hotel, meals, etc. He doesn't get back to Lincoln for too many games (none of us do), this was his first trip back since the Fresno State game in 2011. He's pretty disappointed to say the least. 

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Think of the logistics of playing a game with 12 hours notice?  You would need all of the stadium workers available (ticket takers, concessions people, etc).  Would the concessions even have enough food/beverage after people hanging around in the concourse for 2.5 hours. All the police/security inside and outside the stadium that would need to be available.

There are thousands of people who work in/around the stadium.  Do you think they could have dropped everything and been available at 7am?

I get that Frost/Moos want to play, but I’m not sure it would even be able to pull off a game the next day w/o it being a major cluster-f in and around memorial stadium.

I've got a friend that was in the "command center" last night and he says that campus police, Lincoln pd, stadium personnel all agreed they "could" pull in enough of a skeleton crew to make Sunday morning work after the weather consultant assurred them of a window without storms 10:30 am to 3 pm.  Started working on it when they got a sudden alert that Akron was at the airport loading up...!?

Looks suspiciously like it was a take the money and run.....

I'd like to see some support from Delaney and the conference follow up on things.

• Plus1 1