What did we learn? - Game 1 - Akron

Moiraine

Maybe it's a sign. UCF had its first 2 September games postponed/cancelled, and look what happened to them.

1 minute ago, jsneb83 said:

Am I the only that feels a little more unsure about next week's game since we missed out on this game?

No. This was the game for the team to build confidence and get the jitters out of the way.

• Plus1 1

Just now, jsneb83 said:

Am I the only that feels a little more unsure about next week's game since we missed out on this game?

I don't feel much different about next week. Yeah, there's probably a little disadvantage not having the in-game reps (especially for a fresh QB), even if it is against Akron. However, I don't think we will be able to point to next week's result and definitively say "yep, it was all because we didn't play Akron".

Although I didn't learn much about Nebraska: I did learn a few things about other teams in the Big Ten:

1) Ohio State, with or without Urban Meyer, is still Ohio State. Very talented team - although Oregon State was able to put up some points by exploiting the edges of Ohio State's defense.

2) Michigan, right now, still looks to be missing a QB. Their offense was missing for well over half of the game against Notre Dame. That's been a hallmark of Michigan under Harbaugh and it looks like it may continue into the 18-19 season.

3) Michigan State, boy did they struggle against Utah State. The offensive line generated no push, LJ Scott looked slow, Lewerke wasn't great, and the defense allowed Love (Utah State's mobile QB) to have a really good day. 

4) Minnesota, Annexstad (their QB) slow start against NMSU, but they eventually got it rolling. Annexstad looked competent if a bit green as the Gophers's signal caller, but overall Minnesota didn't look bad. 

5) Purdue, Rondale Moore is going to be the breakout star of the Big Ten this year. Dude can ball. Also, Purdue went down two scores multiple times against NW only to rally each time. A dumb penalty cost them at the end, but they looked so much different than the Purdue teams of the past. 

6) Northwestern, I don't think going with 2 QBs for the whole year has ever worked for Pat Fitzgerald. Yet, he is obsessed with doing so. Maybe the 2 QB system was done intentionally to ease Thorsen back into the role after he suffered a leg injury in their bowl game against Kentucky. Time will tell, but Northwestern looked sharp on Thursday against Purdue. 

7) Illinois, the Illini won, and they'll be able to take some confidence in winning a close game, but they're still Illinois. 

8) Iowa, I didn't watch much of Iowa as I was too enthralled with Penn State - Appalachian State to notice, but they shut down Northern Illinois. 

9) Wisconsin, looks like Wisconsin. Not much different about them this year. Jonathan Taylor is a man and if Wisconsin does well, he should win the Heisman. 

Overall: I think our games against Michigan and Michigan State may not be hard as advertised, whereas our games against Northwestern and Purdue may be harder than advertised. 

• Plus1 1