What did we learn? - Game 1 - Akron

Moiraine

3 hours ago, FTW said:

Yeah, a handful were trying to downplay it hoping for the best instead of planning for the worst. I told a lot of people and everyone in my family on Friday that our game would get cancelled. I've never been blamed so much for something I don't control lol.

So it's YOUR fault.  Let's git 'im.     :D  

Just now, lo country said:

I learned that having a game that didn't come to fruition sucks.  It makes waiting for this Saturday that much harder since we saw nothing and get no info on how our "first" game went.....

At least there is college football tonight and tomorrow. As someone who doesn’t like the NFL, it helps. 

49 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I quit watching the NFL after the second players strike.

You are seriously holding a grudge against NFL players going back over 30 years?  I don’t get when people get upset about how much $ pro athletes make. These players are the best in the world at what they do. I have the belief that the best at what you do deserve to be rewarded that way. 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are seriously holding a grudge against NFL players going back over 30 years?  I don’t get when people get upset about how much $ pro athletes make. These players are the best in the world at what they do. I have the belief that the best at what you do deserve to be rewarded that way. 

Also the owners make money hand over fist. Why shouldn't the players get a part of that? 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are seriously holding a grudge against NFL players going back over 30 years?  I don’t get when people get upset about how much $ pro athletes make. These players are the best in the world at what they do.w

At what point are they rewarded? 5 mil, 50 mil, 200 mil? To the average fan, there is a difference between 5 mil and 50 mil. To the average player, it's merely a question of how much more they got vs what someone else got. That's the disconnect, the fan compares it to buying power in the real world, the player only compares it to relativity. It's apples and oranges, except the latter relies on the former, and the former is going bust. Attendance is steadily decreasing, cord cutting is increasing. Eventually it hits a point where the cultural impact of sports deteriorates to the point the market collapses entirely.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

At what point are they rewarded? 5 mil, 50 mil, 200 mil? To the average fan, there is a difference between 5 mil and 50 mil. To the average player, it's merely a question of how much more they got vs what someone else got. That's the disconnect, the fan compares it to buying power in the real world, the player only compares it to relativity. It's apples and oranges, except the latter relies on the former, and the former is going bust. Attendance is steadily decreasing, cord cutting is increasing. Eventually it hits a point where the cultural impact of sports deteriorates to the point the market collapses entirely.

I agree that sports could be close to a collapsing market, but the NFL had the vast majority of most televised events/shows during the last television season. Sports rights are the one thing that seems to be worth paying for by the TV networks. Now it may be a bubble currently, but I don’t get why there is a bunch of negativity towards players. NFL players have an average career of 4 years. Their peak earning years are over by their mid to late 20s. They are part of the most popular sports league in the United States. If the market is there to earn what they do, they deserve it. I am not going to begrudge them because they make way more money than I do.