What did we learn? - Game 1 - Akron

Moiraine

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There are 32 NFL owners and nearly 1,700 NFL players. I think the owners are doing just fine with their “half”. 

The players take all of that as a paycheck.  The owner have to pay all of the other expenses as well.

So it's not exactly apples-to-apples.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You mean more of it than the (roughly) half they currently get?

The players are paid fairly enough now but it might have been a bit different 30 years ago when the players went on strike for the second time. I was more getting at people tend to get mad that the players make so much money yet treat the owners differently for some reason as if the players have control of this industry

My post was in response to ColoradoHusk specifically saying people get so upset players make money. I was just making the point its only fair.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The players take all of that as a paycheck.  The owner have to pay all of the other expenses as well.

So it's not exactly apples-to-apples.

Players have their own expenses: agents, personal trainers, managers, etc. Owners also get stadiums subsidized by local municipalities and then the owners get to use those stadiums as part of the value of the franchise.

I know the players make a lot more money than the average person makes. But, I just don’t get the anger some people have towards them. I am a strong believer that excellence should be rewarded. NFL players are at the top of their profession. People care a lot about how they perform at that profession. I am not going to say they are “overpaid” for the job they do. 

29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Players have their own expenses: agents, personal trainers, managers, etc. Owners also get stadiums subsidized by local municipalities and then the owners get to use those stadiums as part of the value of the franchise.

I know the players make a lot more money than the average person makes. But, I just don’t get the anger some people have towards them. I am a strong believer that excellence should be rewarded. NFL players are at the top of their profession. People care a lot about how they perform at that profession. I am not going to say they are “overpaid” for the job they do. 

Yeah, I'm with you. The players make a lot more money than the average person makes because their skill-set is determined to be more valuable than the skill-set of the average person. Who determines value? Well, we do. We buy the tickets, we buy the merchandise, we watch the games, etc. Our fandom is the reason why professional athletes are paid as much as they are. It seems ridiculous to be upset at them for that.

Do I think they're being justly paid? Eh, there's times when I think they're not paid enough, considering the very possible and very real long-term effects of playing the game, and there's times when I think they're paid too much. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, brophog said:

At what point are they rewarded? 5 mil, 50 mil, 200 mil? To the average fan, there is a difference between 5 mil and 50 mil. To the average player, it's merely a question of how much more they got vs what someone else got. That's the disconnect, the fan compares it to buying power in the real world, the player only compares it to relativity. It's apples and oranges, except the latter relies on the former, and the former is going bust. Attendance is steadily decreasing, cord cutting is increasing. Eventually it hits a point where the cultural impact of sports deteriorates to the point the market collapses entirely.

Why do you think attendance is steadily decreasing and cord cutting is steadily increasing? I know those are facts - attendance is declining and cord cutting is steadily increasing, but I'm curious as to what you think the underlying rational(es) are for these behaviors? 

I didn't get to watch or even hear the game, except that opening kick off.  Apparently, Frost's offense is so fast that literally we missed the entire game.  Is it possible yet for one of you board experts to post the video replay of the actual game so those of us who missed it all ( perhaps I 'slow blinked' or something?) can actually run it in very slow motion and watch the offense and defense and special teams at work.   Geesh!   If all of our future games are this quick, we can pobably get them in - in between lightning strikes, etc. - and enjoy.  At this rate of speed, we could probably get a dozen games in each Saturday!!!    What was the final score by the way?    

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I didn't get to watch or even hear the game, except that opening kick off.  Apparently, Frost's offense is so fast that literally we missed the entire game.  Is it possible yet for one of you board experts to post the video replay of the actual game so those of us who missed it all ( perhaps I 'slow blinked' or something?) can actually run it in very slow motion and watch the offense and defense and special teams at work.   Geesh!   If all of our future games are this quick, we can pobably get them in - in between lightning strikes, etc. - and enjoy.  At this rate of speed, we could probably get a dozen games in each Saturday!!!    What was the final score by the way?    

Actually, now we're playing so slowly that this game might not even be finished until early December.  They're moving so slowly that it's imperceptible to the human eye, much in the same way that glass is actually a very viscous liquid.  This slow pace is NOT what was promised.  I demand a new coach, NOW.  

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think you're taking this too seriously.

First, Nebfanitcs' comment was "Why shouldn't the players get a cut of that?"  My response was mainly to illustrate that not only do they actually get a cut of it but they actually get nearly half.  I wasn't trying to make any comment about whether that is too much or too little.

Second, I realize that players have living expenses as well.  My point about the owner paying the other expenses is that the players get to keep their part of the revenue as a paycheck.  The owners have to pay all the rest of the expenses associated with allowing the players to get that paycheck so pointing out the disparity between how many owners and players there are doesn't tell you anything without the context of who is paying how much of the other expenses.

Anyway, I'll quit derailing now.

• Plus1 1