I don't want to hear any more griping about the student section after the Akron game

knapplc

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For years we've been hearing gripes about the student section being underrepresented, "half full" (which is never true) or arriving too late. 

45 minutes before the game started, the student section was full. 

When the rain hit, half the stadium emptied into the concourses.  Not the students.

Here's the student section about 45 minutes after the rain started.

The student section - The Iron N - showed up better than anyone last night. Kudos to them.

One of the only times Bill Moos has annoyed me was when he commented on the student section. Maybe he just judged them based on one of bad games like Ohio State. He didn’t say anything awful but mentioned being on cell phones and I was thinking the adults are just as guilty of that if not moreso.

Moos asked about building the next generation of Husker fans. He challenges current Nebraska students, saying their presence at games could swing a win or two per season.

Said Moos: "Put the phone in your pocket and be engaged."

The change that should be made to the student section isn’t the students it’s where they’re hidden away in the corner of the stadium.

• Plus1 7

Sure there are some people who occasionally have some bad things to say about the student section. But it's never struck me as a common complaint or anything other than a very small but somewhat noisy and sporadic complaint from time to time. 

The student section has been great for a long time. Which means a lot, because most schools, even blue bloods that have been doing really well, can't fill up their student sections until maybe the start of the 2nd quarter, and because their location in the stadium is still B.S.

• Plus1 2

This game was my daughter’s first Memorial Stadium game day experience. I was very disappointed that she didn’t get to see an actual football game but it didn’t seem to bother her too much. She said when they delayed the game it turned into more of concert with dancing and “poncho partying” (her words). She was in there for 3-4 hours in some fairly nasty weather before they made them vacate. She sent me quite a few pics and videos. I would agree with the OP, the students showed up and didn’t give up.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

For years we've been hearing gripes about the student section being underrepresented, "half full" (which is never true) or arriving too late. 

45 minutes before the game started, the student section was full. 

When the rain hit, half the stadium emptied into the concourses.  Not the students.

Here's the student section about 45 minutes after the rain started.

The student section - The Iron N - showed up better than anyone last night. Kudos to them.

My son was at the game sitting on the east side about 40-yard line 35 rows up. He (like me) is from California and gets back to Lincoln for games very infrequently. Of course, the rain delay (and later cancelation) was a great disappointment. However, he called me during the delay and he said the student section was awesome. He said the big party that spontaneously erupted in the stadium (mostly the student section) was the only thing that made the wait bearable. 

Kudos to the students...one segment of the greatest fans in the world. 

• Plus1 3