I don't want to hear any more griping about the student section after the Akron game

knapplc

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, Moiraine said:

That isn’t at all relevant here. The fact the age of millenials is permanently 16-22 year olds to a lot of people is why I replied. It’s just synonymous with “unruly, lazy, good-for-nothin’, entitled teenagers.”

Who decides these age requirements?

13 minutes ago, CornHOLIO said:

They. The same they who named Gen X and the baby boomers.

The problem I have with the millenials label is it stays as a bad word to describe young leople, and a lot of idiots act like millenials are special in their stupidity and laziness. The fact of the matter is millenials are similar to every young generation that came before. They get flack because they’re young and young people do dumb things and don’t always have their s#!t together.

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The problem I have with the millenials label is it stays as a bad word to describe young leople, and a lot of idiots act like millenials are special in their stupidity and laziness. The fact of the matter is millenials are similar to every young generation that came before. They get flack because they’re young and young people do dumb things and don’t always have their s#!t together.

Same story different decades. Boomers told us Gen Xers the same thing. The Greatest Generation gave the Boomers the same flak. The good news Millennials? You now get to serve it up to Gen Z! Enjoy!

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, CornHOLIO said:

Baby Boomers were the only generation defined by an actual, measurable demographic shift, ie the period of increased birth rates following World War II. The rest are entirely arbitrary divisions.

59 minutes ago, CornHOLIO said:

According to Wikipedia 

"The majority of researchers and demographers start the generation in the early 1980s, with some ending the generation in the mid-1990s. Australia's McCrindle Research[27] uses 1980–1994 as Generation Y birth years. A 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers[28] report used 1980 to 1995. Gallup Inc.,[29][30][31] and MSW Research[32] use 1980–1996. Ernst and Young uses 1981–1996.[33]

A 2018 report from Pew Research Center defines Millennials as born from 1981 to 1996, choosing these dates for "key political, economic and social factors", including September 11th terrorist attacks. This range makes Millennials 5 to 20 years old at the time of the attacks so "old enough to comprehend the historical significance." Pew indicated they'd use 1981 to 1996 for future publications but would remain open to date recalibration.[34]

Some end the generation in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Goldman Sachs,[35] Resolution Foundation,[36][37] all use 1980–2000. SYZYGY, a digital service agency partially owned by WPP, uses 1981–1998,[38][39]. The Asia Business Unit of Corporate Directions, Inc describes Millennials as born between 1981-2000,[40] The United States Chamber of Commerce uses 1980-1999[41] and United States Census Bureau uses 1982–2000.[42] The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary describes Millennials as those born roughly between the 1980s and 1990s."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

42 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You can @ me if you'd like. :)

As a millennial myself, my post was just a flippant joke about generational bickering. It wasn't some wholesale assertion about our generation or anyone else's generation. Just a comment to smirk at and move on.  

Edit: Perhaps a generational thread in PR would be helpful, unless one already exists that I'm not aware of.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Fru said:

According to Wikipedia 

"The majority of researchers and demographers start the generation in the early 1980s, with some ending the generation in the mid-1990s. Australia's McCrindle Research[27] uses 1980–1994 as Generation Y birth years. A 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers[28] report used 1980 to 1995. Gallup Inc.,[29][30][31] and MSW Research[32] use 1980–1996. Ernst and Young uses 1981–1996.[33]

A 2018 report from Pew Research Center defines Millennials as born from 1981 to 1996, choosing these dates for "key political, economic and social factors", including September 11th terrorist attacks. This range makes Millennials 5 to 20 years old at the time of the attacks so "old enough to comprehend the historical significance." Pew indicated they'd use 1981 to 1996 for future publications but would remain open to date recalibration.[34]

Some end the generation in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Goldman Sachs,[35] Resolution Foundation,[36][37] all use 1980–2000. SYZYGY, a digital service agency partially owned by WPP, uses 1981–1998,[38][39]. The Asia Business Unit of Corporate Directions, Inc describes Millennials as born between 1981-2000,[40] The United States Chamber of Commerce uses 1980-1999[41] and United States Census Bureau uses 1982–2000.[42] The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary describes Millennials as those born roughly between the 1980s and 1990s."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

You can @ me if you'd like. :)

As a millennial myself, my post was just a flippant joke about generational bickering. It wasn't some wholesale assertion about our generation or anyone else's generation. Just a comment to smirk at and move on.  

Edit: Perhaps a generational thread in PR would be helpful, unless one already exists that I'm not aware of.

I didn’t think you were complaining about millenials. I just used your post as an excuse to say they’re not teens anymore (and many are in their 30s).

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I didn’t think you were complaining about millenials. I just used your post as an excuse to say they’re not teens anymore (and many are in their 30s).

Well that kind of depends on who you ask.

According to the US Chamber of Commerce and the US Census Bureau, who use 1980-1999 and 1982-2000 respectively, and then look at the UNL student demographic information, by their standards, most students would qualify as Millennials. 

https://iea.unl.edu/dmdocuments/050_fall_2018_enrl_age.pdf

image.thumb.png.4bfc12451485df6f984f900d75fc75bd.png

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Fru said:

Well that kind of depends on who you ask.

According to the US Chamber of Commerce and the US Census Bureau, who use 1980-1999 and 1982-2000 respectively, and then look at the UNL student demographic information, by their standards, most students would qualify as Millennials. 

https://iea.unl.edu/dmdocuments/050_fall_2018_enrl_age.pdf

image.thumb.png.4bfc12451485df6f984f900d75fc75bd.png

The majority use ‘96 as the final year. Just depends whether you agree with the Census or the majority which includes researchers like Gallup. I predict the term millenials will be used for teens for much longer though. People still aren’t considering that some millenials grew up without internet til their pre teens (and then it was AOL), without cell phones til adulthood or smartphones til their mid to late 20s, and listening to bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins. Maybe the generation should be split between the pre and post internet ages. I feel like I have a hell of a lot more in common with Gen X than I have with anyone under 25.

• Plus1 2

@huKSer I'm pretty sure you mean what they call the "GI Generation", not the "Traditionalists", ie the generation that fought in WWII. The Silent Generation/Traditionalists is the generation that was alive during WWII, but too young to fight.

But why is the 'Greatest Generation' greatest? Because Tom Brokaw said so. :dunno

It's mostly silly arbitrary boundaries anyway...

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Toe said:

@huKSer I'm pretty sure you mean what they call the "GI Generation", not the "Traditionalists", ie the generation that fought in WWII. The Silent Generation/Traditionalists is the generation that was alive during WWII, but too young to fight.

But why is the 'Greatest Generation' greatest? Because Tom Brokaw said so. :dunno

It's mostly silly arbitrary boundaries anyway...

They're called the greatest because they survived the dust bowl and the great depression, fought in WWII, and built modern America. I think they earned it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1