Do we still miss the Big 12?

Dansker

Call it nostalgia, or whatever you want. This game against Colorado brings back all the bad emotions I get whenever we play them. I just don't get that feeling in the Big 10. I miss the rivalries. I miss this hatred of the CU fan base and vice versa. It truly reminds me of the bad blood between Ohio State and Michigan except the overall series record tilts heavily in our favor. However, I miss the road games of the Big 12. It was more affordable for me to drive to Ames, Boulder, Manhattan, Norman, Austin. If the WHorns hadn't screwed everyone, we'd all still be there. So, yeah -- I miss the Big 12. I remember Bill Snyder once said he knew of 2 teams that wanted back in the Big 12. Was it Nebraska and Colorado?

Texas hasn't been the same since Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas A&M all split up into different conferences. All those storied rivalries we had, we just up and left. Money does weird things to ya. In this case, the Big 10 money doesn't outweigh the benefits of being in the Big 12, IMO. What, with the history, the tradition (and I am a traditionalist.) I suppose nostalgia has a lot to do with this post but call me crazy... I want to go back to that conference but Texas needs to clean up their act and there has to be some kind of shared revenue. I think the recruiting territories of the Big 12 favor us more than the Big 10. Is our ego so big that if we left we're afraid the Big 10 will laugh at us for leaving? This wouldn't bother me that much.

If we did return, think of the games we could play again. We could possibly play Oklahoma every year. Kansas State, Iowa, Kansas, Colorado, you get the point. All these schools we have history with. Maybe the ship has sailed and there is no going back but damn it, I sure do miss it. I wish Nebraska and Colorado could Make The Big 12 Great Again.

All the history and bitterness returns tomorrow and there will be a different buzz in the air. Perhaps something not felt for quite some time. Saturday could be a reminder to both Colorado and Nebraska that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Is it too late to go back to the ole' family?

• Plus1 2

Every time I listen to a UTerus fan reminds me exactly why i'm glad to be gone, to this day their fans are absolutely clueless as to why we left.  Those morons actually believe we caused the whole thing, then again a lot of stupid arse OU fans out there think the same thing because their too busy sucking the teet.  I'm absolutely ok with the B1G at this point.

• Plus1 6

I understand the sentiment and certainly the proximity of playing teams that are geographically closer to Nebraska. I too miss driving to Manhattan, Lawrence, Ames, Boulder, Norman, Stillwater and Columbia. Not so much Austin and the Texas teams.  Many times even with an away game it felt like a home game.  The Big 12 was pretty dysfunctional as a league and that was frustrating.  This is what....the 9th year of the Big 10 and I still feel like an orphan.  It was a bitter divorce from the B12 and even though the new wife has more money, we just don't have the history and memories to share.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the B10, don't miss being a B12 team at all, but I still think it's cool to play them.... The idea of scheduling teams like CU, OU, Texas, Kst, KU, ISU, ect is more fun today than the idea of scheduling Iowa, Wisc, Minn, or NW was two decades ago. We just have more history with those B12 teams than we do with most P12 or SEC teams, so I'd like to see us schedule B12 teams as much as possible.

Missing playing those games is different than missing being a conference member though.

• Plus1 2

Maybe a little. But once Frost gets us back to being title contenders, then we will develop real rivalries with the best of the conference and it will feel fun again. I’m looking forward to Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, and Iowa feeling hopeless against us most years while Michigan and Ohio State circle our game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1