Do we still miss the Big 12?

Dansker

It feels like we're completely irrelevant in the Big 10 and I think leaving may have done more harm than good but maybe Frost can change that. I don't think we will ever see the dominance Nebraska once had in the Big 8/early 12 days. Moving damaged that 500 mile recruiting radius, IMO. I literally can't see myself traveling anywhere further east of Ohio to attend a game. In the Big 12, I could drive to every single away game with my eyes closed.

• Plus1 1

Wanting to go back to the Big XII is like wanting to get back together with an ex girlfriend that cheated on you, convinced you to stay together, brought other guys into the relationship, left you, stole your car, and broke your spirit so much that you have nostalgia for and actually miss all the needless miserable pain and suffering she put you through. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, FTW said:

It feels like we're completely irrelevant in the Big 10 and I think leaving may have done more harm than good but maybe Frost can change that. I don't think we will ever see the dominance Nebraska once had in the Big 8/early 12 days. Moving damaged that 500 mile recruiting radius, IMO. I literally can't see myself traveling anywhere further east of Ohio to attend a game. In the Big 12, I could drive to every single away game with my eyes closed.

Very true.  Us fans can say what we want but most of the Big Ten schools don't give a rats ass about playing NU...Wisconsin might and Iowa does...but that is it really.  We are going to the Michigan game this year and I am not buying tickets yet because I know we will snag some for 40 dollars (I am even thinking 20 dollars).  It isn't a big game to them, just like NU isn't a big game to anyone in the Big Ten expect Iowa and we, the fans, don't want to embrace that one at all.  We were cool when we first entered the conference but not anymore.  Students at OSU, MU, MSU, PSU, Wisconsin, PU, NW you name it...they are not sitting around in their dorms, houses and frats saying "Oh sweet, it is finally Nebraska week!"

2 minutes ago, FTW said:

How relevant were we in the Big 12 from 2004-2010? We played in a couple conference title games, but we played in 1 in the Big 10 too. The problem isn’t the conference it’s the coaches. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Fru said:

Wanting to go back to the Big XII is like wanting to get back together with an ex girlfriend that cheated on you, convinced you to stay together, brought other guys into the relationship, left you, stole your car, and broke your spirit so much that you have nostalgia for and actually miss all the needless miserable pain and suffering she put you through. 

Yeah...but how was the sex?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Moiraine said:

How relevant were we in the Big 12 from 2004-2010? We played in a couple conference title games, but we played in 1 in the Big 10 too. The problem isn’t the conference it’s the coaches. 

Very relevant.  Being relevant, in my mind, is not about the wins and losses, it is about what the other fan base thinks of when they are playing "your" team.

Students at KU, KSU, CU, ISU were from around Lincoln (or Nebraska) there is that built in love/hate relevancy.  

Things probably would be different had we maybe won the Big 12 CCG on our way out the door or didn't give up 70 points to Wisconsin. Then maybe the rest of the conference would have disdain towards Nebraska. I'm not sure we'll develop the same relationships we once had. I think it took PSU 20 years before they established a footprint in the conference. It's like if Notre Dame completely stopped playing B1G teams abruptly. History and tradition is what makes CFB great. I suppose I am still bitter over the way things ended. All the schools that left, seems like neither of them have been the same or the Big 12 for that matter.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Very relevant.  Being relevant, in my mind, is not about the wins and losses, it is about what the other fan base thinks of when they are playing "your" team.

Students at KU, KSU, CU, ISU were from around Lincoln (or Nebraska) there is that built in love/hate relevancy.  

Winning will change that.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I agree. When teams beat us in the Big 12 it was like they hit the Powerball. In the Big 10, it's like winning $5 on a scratch off ticket now. No big deal. I don't think people ever considered the consequence of losing your mystique and leaving behind 100 years of history. We still had our Big 8 foes. The national perception is we left the Big 12 because we couldn't beat Texas and not just on a football field. So, we head to the B1G and have become completely irrelevant to our opponents. Fans thought going into this that hosting teams like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, PSU in Lincoln would be a dream come true when it's really become an afterthought. 

Don't get me wrong, if Frost turns this thing around and gets Nebraska back on track, having home games against those opponents will be fun. It just won't be the same as NU vs. CU, ISU, OU, KSU, Ok St., Mizzu, and yes, Texas.

• Fire 1