Do we still miss the Big 12?

Dansker

Honestly, if we can put together 2-3 seasons of beating the heck out of some teams that disdain will build quickly. When you are trading out wins each year with Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. it's not like fans really start to dislike each other because "hey we'll probably get them next year" ya know? If we smack Northwestern down by 30 points 2-3 years in a row that fan base will start to build that dislike. So, I think winning will build some of that. Also, as a younger fan, I barely remember the Big 12 days and don't remember the Big 8 days so for me going back to the Big 12 would be weird too. I know the history and have some of that dislike but most of your fans who are younger than maybe 30 don't remember the rivalries like older fans do. We mostly just know we don't like them because that's what the older fans tell us. Plus, Big 12 is trying to head the way of the SWC and it may not even exist in a few years especially if Oklahoma ever decides to bolt for greener pastures. Final point, if you win the Big 10 you're in the playoffs no doubt. If you win the Big 12 you probably better have been pretty dominant during the year and hope that the ACC or PAC 12 don't have a really dominant team. Oklahoma last year was a good example, they were dominant and the PAC 12 stunk so they got in.

• Haha 1

After all of the 11-1 votes the teat suckers gave whilst giving power to texass? No. Don’t miss  it at all actually. 

If we can begin to schedule some of our old Big8 opponents for home/home series every year, that would be satisfying enough. I like the B1G better 

• Plus1 2

No, not one bit as it was when we left.

As it once was, prior to the start of the cluster F it became, maybe just a little bit, but that too will change once Oklahoma jumps into the BIG Ten.

Just for old times sake  :bluffs

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think Superconferences killed a lot of college football identity, and that includes the Big 12, which absorbed the Texas schools from the old Southwest conference. Texans don't think of themselves as midwesterners. They think of themselves as Texans. That didn't really work out for anybody. If you miss anything, it's the old Big 8. 7 schools shared a culture. Colorado not so much, but that made them fun to beat. 

I understand what you're saying in a hypothetical sense but geographically we belonged in the Big 12. Austin, TX is centrally located.

The Central Great Plains are a semi-arid prairie ecoregion of the central United States, part of North American Great Plains. The region runs from west-central Texas through west-central Oklahoma, central Kansas, and south-central Nebraska.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Great_Plains_(ecoregion)

The old Big 8 was great. I do miss it. I also miss the Big 12. The Big 12 made sense at its inception. I think most of our fansebase' perception is that Texas was a financial bully and it was their way or the highway. Our football ego is so big that we can't see past our own failures. If we made right coaching hires, we probably wouldn't have a desire to leave that conference in the first place. Everyone says that conference is going to fail. People have been saying that since 2011, it's still here.

If I had it my way, and superconferences are the way of the future, I'd rebrand the Big 12, open it up for 14 teams and call it the Central Plains Conference: Colorado, Colorado State, Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas-Christian, Texas Tech, Texas A&M.

Of course, this will never happen. 

Culturally, western Nebraska ranchers have more in common with Texas ranchers.

Otherwise we don't think of Texans as midwesterners, and the Big 8 was about midwesternism. 

Austin Texas?  If that's your center, it means all your so-called partners have to travel as far as possible to get there. Just the way Texas likes it.

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Culturally, western Nebraska ranchers have more in common with Texas ranchers.

Otherwise we don't think of Texans as midwesterners, and the Big 8 was about midwesternism. 

Austin Texas?  If that's your center, it means all your so-called partners have to travel as far as possible to get there. Just the way Texas likes it.

Thank you for the history lesson, I really mean it. I thought we were talking about Texas being part of that central region regarding the Big12 conference? Where the University of Texas itself is located, it is in the South Central region, is it not? I don't consider Texas a Midwestern kind of school either -- I never have and I never mentioned it BUT I do consider them part of our region which has absolutely nothing to do with our culture.

1 minute ago, GSG said:

Big12Locations6.png.90878b7eff4f85688023a3d216bff3ba.png

THIS IS FROM WIKIPEDIA, AND I ADDED A GREEN DOT (LULZ) FOR COLORADO, BLACK DOT FOR MIZZOU, AND A BIG RED DOT FOR LINCOLN. I'VE ALSO CIRCLED TEXAS JUST FYI

If you're going to use Wikipedia, at least read. 

The city is the cultural and economic center of the Austin–Round Rock metropolitan statistical area, which had an estimated population of 2,056,405 as of July 1, 2016. Located in Central Texas within the greater Texas Hill Country

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas