Adrian Martinez Injury

15 hours ago, huskered17 said:

Do any of us really know how bad the knee is. No one has said exactly what is wrong with it. Sprain ?? what part is sprained ? Is there a "slight" tear ? 

If he is not 100% don't put him out there. This part of the team looked like one of the stronger positions, along with R/B. Now????

GBR!!!

I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

But, let's say it's a slight tear.  What is the harm in playing him?  One of two things is going to happen.  It's going to tear the rest of the way...or...he plays through it.

If it tears the rest of the way, he is out for the year and gets surgery now instead of after the season.  If it doesn't tear, he would probably have surgery after the season.

Neither case would affect him long term after recovery from surgery.

I'm failing to see the harm in playing him if this is the case.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

But, let's say it's a slight tear.  What is the harm in playing him?  One of two things is going to happen.  It's going to tear the rest of the way...or...he plays through it.

If it tears the rest of the way, he is out for the year and gets surgery now instead of after the season.  If it doesn't tear, he would probably have surgery after the season.

Neither case would affect him long term after recovery from surgery.

I'm failing to see the harm in playing him if this is the case.

I mean ... Frost said specifically that he's not going to play him if there is a risk of further injury.  So I think he ruled out what you are saying.

It appears that they are going to keep him out until he heals enough to be cleared by the trainers.  To me, that says it's a short-term deal.  Obviously he is practicing this week so it would seem the current feeling is he is pretty close to being back.  Thus, I would expect him to play this weekend, barring a setback.

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... Frost said specifically that he's not going to play him if there is a risk of further injury.  So I think he ruled out what you are saying.

It appears that they are going to keep him out until he heals enough to be cleared by the trainers.  To me, that says it's a short-term deal.  Obviously he is practicing this week so it would seem the current feeling is he is pretty close to being back.  Thus, I would expect him to play this weekend, barring a setback.

It very well could have been a judgement call in what is more important.  Nobody likes to say one win is more important than another.  But, the staff risked losing to Troy by holding him out, in an effort to give him a week to heal as much as possible before conference play.  Now that we are in conference play, it's possible they will view it differently.

I'm saying this with the full understanding that I'm speculating on one hell of a lot with no inside information to back it up.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't agree.  I think Riley improved QB recruiting.  He was just recruiting to a system that ended up really sucking so when a coaching change happened, those QBs looked elsewhere to play.  That caused our QB room to go from full to extremely thin.....especially with the injury to 2AM.

I see we have a different standard of QB recruiting.

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, huskered17 said:

Do any of us really know how bad the knee is. No one has said exactly what is wrong with it. Sprain ?? what part is sprained ? Is there a "slight" tear ? 

If he is not 100% don't put him out there. This part of the team looked like one of the stronger positions, along with R/B. Now????

GBR!!!

It hasn't been disclosed exactly what the injury is but Frost did say there was no ligament damage so I believe we can rule out a 'slight tear' as that would be ligament damage. I guess you could consider a sprain a slight tear but I would speculate it likely a bone bruise and swelling - possibly meniscus injury which is cartridge. 

1 minute ago, jaws said:

I see we have a different standard of QB recruiting.

The QBs Riley recruited.

Lee -  I'll admit, he wasn't good.

POB - I believe he could be good with good coaching and a good system.

Gebbia - I think he would have been good with good coaching and a good system.

I have no reason to believe that either POB or Gebbia wouldn't thrive in a program like MSU that have used QBs for years that aren't runners but can manage the offense and distribute the ball.  That....and a coaching staff that has a friggen clue what they are doing.  I actually believe Gebbia would have been very good in our current system if he would have stuck around.

But, that's all water under the bridge and I'm not going to debate it any more.  I'm tired of looking at the past.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The QBs Riley recruited.

Lee -  I'll admit, he wasn't good.

POB - I believe he could be good with good coaching and a good system.

Gebbia - I think he would have been good with good coaching and a good system.

I have no reason to believe that either POB or Gebbia wouldn't thrive in a program like MSU that have used QBs for years that aren't runners but can manage the offense and distribute the ball.  That....and a coaching staff that has a friggen clue what they are doing.  I actually believe Gebbia would have been very good in our current system if he would have stuck around.

But, that's all water under the bridge and I'm not going to debate it any more.  I'm tired of looking at the past.

Remember, I responded to someone talking about Frost's handling of the QBs. I get that you don't want to look at the past but the past is what is screwing over Frost right now. All three of the guys you listed, plus not recruiting a QB one year and the QBs in the 2014 class, didn't pan out at Nebraska. I have to believe that Frost would adapt his offense if one of them were here and thrown into the starting spot. He is too good of a coach to not adjust his system to his personnel. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, jaws said:

Frost was handed a really thin QB room and when Gebbia left it was even worse . Sometimes it is lazy to pick on the last staff but sometimes it is the truth. Riley did a really bad job recruiting QBs. It is really hard to question Frost at this point as it relates to the QBs. 

If we were so depleted at QB then why didn't SF get several in the 2018 class?  Shouldn't it have been a top priority if so thin?  Wouldn't most QB prospects want to go to a program that's so thin on depth?

I find it very amusing you call Gebbia's leaving a major blow to the program yet at same time say MR did terrible job in getting Gebbia to come to N.  Well done.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

If we were so depleted at QB then why didn't SF get several in the 2018 class?  Shouldn't it have been a top priority if so thin?  Wouldn't most QB prospects want to go to a program that's so thin on depth?

I find it very amusing you call Gebbia's leaving a major blow to the program yet at same time say MR did terrible job in getting Gebbia to come to N.  Well done.

He got Adrian and brought Verdal with him in hopes he would be eligible, I would say that's assessing the situation and addressing it.  Gebbia and POB had yet to leave.

And no, QB prospects want to go where they can start, not be part of a depth chart.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1