Adrian Martinez Injury

Many of the plays that worked in the second quarter against Colorado also worked in the fourth quarter. Same with Troy, really.

The trick is stringing those plays together. Nebraska couldn't establish a rhythm, which is even harder when you're committing penalties. 

Exhaustion didn't seem to be the problem to my eye, and it typically favors the offense anyway. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

The key thing here is, Troy seemed unaffected. If the heat didn't affect them, why did it affect us?  Flaw in our training or hydration? Is it just an excuse?

It was hot for everyone at the game, and I'm still feeling really tired from it four days later (and from chores on Sunday).  I can see how it could have affected the guys. But   didn't it equally affect Troy?

Troy is in the south.  Not only is it hot but the humidity is on another level.  I'ld compare it to high altitude training.  There's also a difference between practice shape and game shape.  Ild say it takes at least 2 or 3 games to get in full game shape

I said A Will should start over Reed and thankfully that change happened. I don't see why we play Lamar Jackson. I was at both games and also have watched both games back and don't see anything he brings to this defense. At least let the two freshman get more reps with Jackson and let it play out. I'm still not impressed with Lindsey at PR or WR. 

In regards to play calls we need to open the playbook up a bit more regardless if it's Bunch or AM. I didn't think the line played all that bad in either game. When the play calls get to the point where 90% of the time you are handing it off to the RB (qb never pulls it), and you don't take shots down the field, things get a lot tougher as the game goes along for your line to hold up. Really disappointed with the play calls after the muffed punt by Troy. Bunch could have pulled out and walked into the end zone on 2nd down. 3rd down we only have 1 WR go out for a jump ball fade to Stanley while all others stayed to block. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, BIG ERN said:

I said A Will should start over Reed and thankfully that change happened. I don't see why we play Lamar Jackson. I was at both games and also have watched both games back and don't see anything he brings to this defense. At least let the two freshman get more reps with Jackson and let it play out. I'm still not impressed with Lindsey at PR or WR. 

In regards to play calls we need to open the playbook up a bit more regardless if it's Bunch or AM. I didn't think the line played all that bad in either game. When the play calls get to the point where 90% of the time you are handing it off to the RB (qb never pulls it), and you don't take shots down the field, things get a lot tougher as the game goes along for your line to hold up. Really disappointed with the play calls after the muffed punt by Troy. Bunch could have pulled out and walked into the end zone on 2nd down. 3rd down we only have 1 WR go out for a jump ball fade to Stanley while all others stayed to block. 

Agree with all of this.

Lamar Jackson isn't impressing. In fact, I'd argue his INT wasn't an INT and it should have been a reception, Troy ball. And he was beaten on that play with a good throw. Opponents are clearly keying on him and he's not holding up well.

I am underwhelmed by Lindsey both on offense and special teams.  I was hoping for more (evergreen phrase about this season).

The play-calling is questionable. We are barely involving the TEs, our run game seems uninspired, and we are not seeing WRs in space like I expected. In fact, we often see groups of receivers in the same area, which cannot be by design.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Troy is in the south.  Not only is it hot but the humidity is on another level.  I'ld compare it to high altitude training.  There's also a difference between practice shape and game shape.  Ild say it takes at least 2 or 3 games to get in full game shape

You could be right.

I think the biggest reason they won is, Troy is just overall a better team right now. They know who/what they are, they aren't still trying to learn new systems, and they have focus & purpose. It wasn't an accident they beat LSU in Baton Rouge and gave Clemson a scare the year before. 

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The play-calling is questionable. We are barely involving the TEs, our run game seems uninspired, and we are not seeing WRs in space like I expected. In fact, we often see groups of receivers in the same area, which cannot be by design.

By this you mean the play-calling was questionable against Troy, right?

I mean, our stats against Colorado were good enough to have a Top 5 rushing offense in the country and a Top 5 Total Offense in the country.  There doesn't seem to be too much that would be questionable about what we've been able to do when Martinez is in there.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Lamar Jackson isn't impressing. In fact, I'd argue his INT wasn't an INT and it should have been a reception, Troy ball.

I think literally the only reason it was ruled an interception is because for some inexplicable reason the receiver gave up. They both had their hands all over the ball, and then for no good reason at all, the receiver just let it go. if I remember right, the ref was just staring at them the whole time, and only made the call after the receiver took his hands off. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By this you mean the play-calling was questionable against Troy, right? 

I mean, our stats against Colorado were good enough to have a Top 5 rushing offense in the country and a Top 5 Total Offense in the country.  There doesn't seem to be too much that would be questionable about what we've been able to do when Martinez is in there.

Sure.

26 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I think literally the only reason it was ruled an interception is because for some inexplicable reason the receiver gave up. They both had their hands all over the ball, and then for no good reason at all, the receiver just let it go. if I remember right, the ref was just staring at them the whole time, and only made the call after the receiver took his hands off. 

Yup! LJ might be the most overrated recruit we've had in a long time. He has been terrible since day one and seems to have an "i dont give a rip" attitude. Haphazardly tackling, etc. I texted my buddy during the pick, thinking for sure it was going to be overturned. One of the more bizarre calls of the day.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If you compare the historical weather between Lincoln and Troy in July and August, it wasn't much different this year. Lincoln had 23 days in those two months where the high was 90 or above. Troy had 26. It's not like one team was running the guantlet in conditioning and the other wasn’t. 

It's not like heat and humidity in Lincoln is some sort of new phenomenon. We literally had fans passing out at the stadium against Southern Miss a couple years back. 

1 hour ago, MountainMan said:

If you compare the historical weather between Lincoln and Troy in July and August, it wasn't much different this year. Lincoln had 23 days in those two months where the high was 90 or above. Troy had 26. It's not like one team was running the guantlet in conditioning and the other wasn’t. 

It's not like heat and humidity in Lincoln is some sort of new phenomenon. We literally had fans passing out at the stadium against Southern Miss a couple years back. 

I grew up in the midwest and thought I knew what humidity was until I moved to the south.  I'm telling you it's different.  Hot is hot but with the humidity its nuts. When I go back home and people complain about the humidity I laugh.  I had asked in another post what the weather was all week in Lincoln last week. If the weather was like that all week then they should have been prepared.  If it was high 70's all week then jumped to 100 that's a big difference 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Agree with all of this.

Lamar Jackson isn't impressing. In fact, I'd argue his INT wasn't an INT and it should have been a reception, Troy ball. And he was beaten on that play with a good throw. Opponents are clearly keying on him and he's not holding up well.

I am underwhelmed by Lindsey both on offense and special teams.  I was hoping for more (evergreen phrase about this season).

This sounds a lot like what I thought of UCF in Frost's first season there. I just think it's going to take time.